Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heifer won't go near calf

• 10-02-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

Had an Angus heifer(1st calf) calved this morning and won't lick or go near the calf.

It was a moderately difficult calving and I'd say she's a bit stressed out but it's 3 hours now and she hasn't gone near the calf.

I just fed the calf now, fine Limousin bull , packet beastings as she's a bit cross and have them in together on their own but doesn't seem to be doing any good.

Any suggestions from all the experienced farmers out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

but some meal on the calf, or if you bring a dog into the shed she might go to protect the calf- but could also go for you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Put the heifer into a crush where you can open the sides or into a calving gate and get the calf sucking her asap. Ive had to do this twice a day for a week or two with a few heifers over the years before the heifer will let the calf suck unassisted.Give her time, but BE CAREFUL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We've had this several times. And worse.........Where the calf causes the heifer go crazy with fear.
    Keep both together in the one pen (or pen within a pen if heifer is attacking calf).
    We would catch the heifer a few times a day in the calving gate and allow the calf to suck and bond with the cow. We would also put the calf up at the heifers head when finished sucking (Heifer still in gate)
    Any cleanings about put it all over the calf.
    We had to sedate one heifer and after 3 days reducing the dosage she took to lick the calf.
    Just keep at her, it's a big ordeal on a heifer.
    I would'nt introduce a dog just yet it can provoke an unpredictable response.
    Keep at her and hopefull the penny will drop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

think some1 mentioned covering the calf in salt to get her to lick.

if at all possible get natural beistings into the calf as your 1st priority.
    those packets give a false sense of security.... handy when your stuck but they are a bad job really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Bizzum wrote: »
    We've had this several times. And worse.........Where the calf causes the heifer go crazy with fear.
    Keep both together in the one pen (or pen within a pen if heifer is attacking calf).
    We would catch the heifer a few times a day in the calving gate and allow the calf to suck and bond with the cow. We would also put the calf up at the heifers head when finished sucking (Heifer still in gate)
    Any cleanings about put it all over the calf.
    We had to sedate one heifer and after 3 days reducing the dosage she took to lick the calf.
    Just keep at her, it's a big ordeal on a heifer.
    I would'nt introduce a dog just yet it can provoke an unpredictable response.
    Keep at her and hopefull the penny will drop!

yep agree with Bizz, had a first timer that calved a bit before her time a few moths back and wouldnt go near calf, went from crush twice a day and tying her leg, to standing in pen with her (and stick )and giving her a bit of meal to distract her to the calf sneaking up behind her when she was eating silage to her finally taking to the calf, keep at it but just mind yourself if she is a bit wicked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Thanks for all the replies guys.

She's quiet around the calf but just won't bond with him.

Like ye say just keep at em an get him to suck her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Alibaba wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

She's quiet around the calf but just won't bond with him.

Like ye say just keep at em an get him to suck her.

the dog idea is a good one and can work wonders

cover the calf in precalver mineral too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Tie her up and get the calf to suck.. he will eventually get the better of her in the shed and she will bond.

For a heifer, the calf is a complete shock! I had the same issue a few eyars ago. Make sure the calf is kept strong and fed and he will got bold enough to get the better of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Agree with all the above. The cow is just frightened. Better to get the calf to drink the cow though. If you can pull back the lower bar in the crush, like in the pic, it's a handy way of restraining the cow. A small straw bale under the calf is great too too, if it's too weak to stand.
    After that a bit of patience.

Just an update..

Well , my lovely heifer :mad: calved last Friday morning and still hasn't taken to her calf.
    The calf (fine Lim bull) is mad to drink but mammy isn't having any of it.

The only way she let him drink her is if i'm standing there with em or else if she's in the crush. Otherwise she just kicks him away .

At this stage it looks doubtful if she'll take to him at all and i'm wondering what i should do - even thinking about selling them (separately) in a few weeks time.

Any suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Any chance one of the other cows would take him on without much bother?
    We used to have an auld girl who would let any calf suck, twas very handy indeed.

We also once had a calf and after the cow died calving we bucket fed the calf. When the cows went out we let the calf out too and we would bucket feed him in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Alibaba wrote: »
    Just an update..

Well , my lovely heifer :mad: calved last Friday morning and still hasn't taken to her calf.
    The calf (fine Lim bull) is mad to drink but mammy isn't having any of it.

The only way she let him drink her is if i'm standing there with em or else if she's in the crush. Otherwise she just kicks him away .

At this stage it looks doubtful if she'll take to him at all and i'm wondering what i should do - even thinking about selling them (separately) in a few weeks time.

Any suggestions
    you may have to give it more time, i was standing with my heifer for a month or more before the penny dropped, sure it only takes a few mins in the morning and evening and as time goes by it gets easier, i mean if you can manage without putting her into crush now and just standing beside her you are already on the right track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I'd be inclined to give it more time too. Maybe it's time to introduce the dog now.;)
    You could also introduce a newly calved cow with calf into the pen. This might kickstart her too.

Thanks for the replies lads.

I'll give it more time. She had a tough enough calving so i suppose she's just frightened of the whole thing.

With a bit of luck she might come around.

Advertisement