Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulling a tractor trailer with a jeep

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

JohnBoy wrote: »
    have had a few speed wobbles in the past, have managed to fight the braking urge, lifted off gently and lived to tell the tale. I've heard the drive it out suggestion before, but have yet to try it.

+1 on this, towed 2.5 ton of seed wheat over a 100 miles behind a jeep. Just lift the foot off is the way to do it in the early stages anyway. Don't know what you'd do if you are actually losing it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Well 95% of the posters will be happy to know i bought a trailer and i found one 2 counties away and went and collected it on sunday with the .......... Tractor. Weird feeling going past a speed van in a lambourgini and it didnt flash :rolleyes:

Guess i took all your past experiences on board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What size trailer and how many spondulicks?

Well 95% of the posters will be happy to know i bought a trailer and i found one 2 counties away and went and collected it on sunday with the .......... Tractor. Weird feeling going past a speed van in a lambourgini and it didnt flash :rolleyes:

Guess i took all your past experiences on board

reilig wrote: »
    What size trailer and how many spondulicks?

14 x 7 on twin wheels. has 18inch and 48inch side creals and twin tipping rams. its second hand but in good condition. €1,150

18inch for turf and gravel, 48inch for fodder beet ;)

and this evening i saw my first jeep and trailer fishtailing accident.

N4 heading west on the old road up around mother hubbards.

I was 3 cars behind a swb 05 landcruiser and 12ft x 5.9ft ifor cattle trailer (van wheels on the ootside type) he had 1 ton of bags of meal inside it.

I think he was going a bit hard but difficult to know, i was doing 80kph. The trailer started to fish tail in a small rotations followed by 2 large rotations and fired jeep and trailer over the lane coming in the opposite direction. Absolute miracle nothing was coming in the opposite lane. Jeep ended up entangled in the trailer facing the wrong way. The trailer was lying on the driver side onto the cement post and rail fence (all 40 bags on the side wall) the trailer hitch stayed on the ball of the jeep. Lad (approx 50yrs old) and his dog were ok.

I helped him for 15/20 mins and once a teleporter arrived and a few local people came on the spot i legged it.

MASSIVE EYE OPENER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Feck and with only a ton in it too :eek: :eek: :eek:

ye. 1 ton. I was first concerned than there was lifestock in the trailer and then concerned about the driver.

I will be taking it easier i think with a trailer from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye. 1 ton. I was first concerned than there was lifestock in the trailer and then concerned about the driver.
    what about the dog:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think a lot of the problem is that in many cases guys have been towing for years with small vehicles and low speeds.
    Lots of them would have towed with an old Jetta and a small trailer for a long time.
    As time has gone on the power of a lot of tow vehicles has gone up exponentially, its not unusual to see 160+ hp in a 4x4 now.
    Couple that with larger trailers and a better handling tow vehicle and you get people flying around with trailers on the back.
    Its all great until the laws of physics rear their ugly heads and it goes pear-shaped big style.
    Insurance won't cover overloaded vehicles and they are getting very picky about having the correct license (EB) for towing.
    Towing is getting much stricter and about time too.

:D i was classifying him in with the lifestock

whelan1 wrote: »
    what about the dog:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

and this evening i saw my first jeep and trailer fishtailing accident.

N4 heading west on the old road up around mother hubbards.

I was 3 cars behind a swb 05 landcruiser and 12ft x 5.9ft ifor cattle trailer (van wheels on the ootside type) he had 1 ton of bags of meal inside it.

I think he was going a bit hard but difficult to know, i was doing 80kph. The trailer started to fish tail in a small rotations followed by 2 large rotations and fired jeep and trailer over the lane coming in the opposite direction. Absolute miracle nothing was coming in the opposite lane. Jeep ended up entangled in the trailer facing the wrong way. The trailer was lying on the driver side onto the cement post and rail fence (all 40 bags on the side wall) the trailer hitch stayed on the ball of the jeep. Lad (approx 50yrs old) and his dog were ok.

I helped him for 15/20 mins and once a teleporter arrived and a few local people came on the spot i legged it.

MASSIVE EYE OPENER

scary one.

You'd have to say nothing sounds too bad with the setup, not the worlds biggest jeep, but not small either, not a mahoosive trailer either and with wheels outside it's about as stable as you'd get. tonne of meal isnt much weight either.

uneven loading?

but how would you put a pallet of meal into a cow box? teleporter would do it I suppose, but not many places loading with them?

odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

uneven loading?

but how would you put a pallet of meal into a cow box? teleporter would do it I suppose, but not many places loading with them?

odd.

I was always taught to load trailer to be heaver to the jeep or towing vehicle.

If wrong please correct me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

my entirely unscientific method, (which assumes the empty trailer is level) is to load slightly forward such that you compress the rear suspension of the jeep around 2 inches. my jeep has a fairly soft rear suspension and I find this loads it all up nicely.

this is putting a slight load on the hitch, but not too much.

it's been working well so far at least.

The setup described should have been fine at 80 and to be honest 100kph if the trailer was loaded right. a tonne of bags laid out over the floor of the whole cow box would be maybe a foot tall with nowhere to go, you couldnt ask for a more stable load.

but take that same tonne, leave it on the pallet, and put it in the back half of the trailer would give a much less stable result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

and put it in the back half of the trailer would give a much less stable result.

The first thought that came to my mind is, was the load put in the back of the trailer by forklift. That would be badly balanced and asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

i had a look in the trailer and i didnt see a pallet. Its hard to know where in the trailer it is.

when i load cattle. i always make sure more animals are in the front half compared to the back half. ie to keep weight on the back axle of the trailer

When i have the digger on i try to get the 3ton over the 2 axles on the trailer but also weight on the jeep for traction

i use the plant trailer also for tipping over to the meal merchant witht he jfc tub. i hate it because i have to get in put on the back of the trailer so i can get the bale lifter on the 3pt to lift the bin off when at home. Thats 600-700kgs on the back of a 10ft plant trailer and max speed i go is 40kph-50kph. at that speed the jeep is happy on the back :rolleyes: (why not go in the tractor? i would do the meal run on the home leg of another journey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Attie wrote: »
    I was always taught to load trailer to be heaver to the jeep or towing vehicle.

If wrong please correct me.

that would mean you couldnt pull two tonnes behind a three tonne jeep, not true TBH. It's about even loading and knowing your vehicle and trailer, usually you get some warning before the fish tailing gets out of control.

corkcomp wrote: »
    that would mean you couldnt pull two tonnes behind a three tonne jeep, not true TBH. It's about even loading and knowing your vehicle and trailer, usually you get some warning before the fish tailing gets out of control.

Corkcomp
    Ye have picked me up wrong here JohnBoy put it better in the post after mine.
    Should have read heaver to the draw-bar,
    As for the warning it's a short one, I've had a few thats how I learned to do it this way.
    Attie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

• Advertisement
Advertisement