Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund on sale items

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I bought some clothes yesterday for the wee lad that was on sale. When I got home I can clearly see that they dont fit as he seems to have grown up like crazy so I want to bring them back and exchange.

On the receipt it says "no exchange on sale items"

Is that legal?... esentially the product is not faulty.

Whaddya reckon?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it's absolutely legal as the items are not faulty. this is a change of mind return, they are not obliged to accept. i imagine their sale policy is to over-ride their normal policy where they do accept change of mind returns within a certain timeframe from purchase.

sorry OP, chance your arm going back but anything they can do for you will be goodwill so I wouldn't be making any demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's absolutely legal, because the clothes are not faulty. If they were faulty, then they would have to offer you a refund, replacement or repair.

Most shops operate goodwill policies, so it's worth going back with the receipt and asking them if you can exchange or refund. But don't demand anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mapera

Thanks for the responses guys.

So I went back to the shop there and the lovely lady changed without question. I brought it to her attention that she was not obliged to exchange at all, and she said she knew that, but wanted to look after the little man.

So, after such great customer service, I have to give a shout out to Pearl beside Stephen's Green Shopping Centre.

:D

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's good to ask nicely when you haven't a leg to stand on.

It's also good to ask nicely even when you have the law on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

mapera wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys.

So I went back to the shop there and the lovely lady changed without question. I brought it to her attention that she was not obliged to exchange at all, and she said she knew that, but wanted to look after the little man.

So, after such great customer service, I have to give a shout out to Pearl beside Stephen's Green Shopping Centre.

:D

cheers

Wow, fair play to her! Just to point out, that would pretty much never happen in a big store or department store as all refunds are monitored and an employee who broke policy would be easily traced and would get absolutely bollocked for doing that. So just for future reference, unlikely to work anywhere except small shops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement