Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The theory of my set up

Options
  • 10-02-2012 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Can what I have in the image be done in the way I have it laid out? Would both APs need to be in bridge mode? Would I even need a second access point or would a standard wireless router do? I have one of these: http://www.metrix.net/ubiquiti-picostation-5-p-126.html

192213.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

shayser wrote: »
    Can what I have in the image be done in the way I have it laid out?
    Would both APs need to be in bridge mode?
    Would I even need a second access point or would a standard wireless router do?
    I have one of these: http://www.metrix.net/ubiquiti-picostation-5-p-126.html

Yes !
    Yes, point-to-point,on MAC address !
    No!
    That is perfect,just need a second for other end !

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Yeah we use Ubiquiti where I work. Piece of cake to configure and pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 _underscore

Yea, that's perfect.

+1 on Ubiquiti. They really are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks. Would IP addressing need to be fixed?

Do I need the second router? Could I give the PCs (on the right in the diagram) static IPs, with the AP as the gateway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Use static IP address,disable DHCP everywhere.

You don't need a second router,just two WAPs and a DSL router.

Default gateway for both network is the DSL router,if both WAPs share same address range.Same for DNS,with backup on the ISP server(s).

OK. I did set the gateway on a laptop to the IP of the one AP I have (second one on the way) with the AP pointing to the router, and it worked, i.e, the laptop had DSL access.

Works well. DHCP too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

shayser wrote: »
    Do I need the second router? Could I give the PCs (on the right in the diagram) static IPs, with the AP as the gateway?

Access points don't route, therefore they shouldn't be set as gateway. Gateway in your case is the IP of the Dsl router

Advertisement