Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike - Narrow side entrance

• 10-02-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to get rid of the car and get another bike for commuting, havent had one in about 6 years. In those 6 years I built an extension onto the back of the house which makes a section of the side entrance very narrow, about 74cm. I've been looking at a few smaller bikes, up to 250cc and going by the specs the witdth across the bars is going to be a problem. Are there any bikes out there that are particularly narrow.

I dont want to leave the bike in the front Garden or stuck down the side of the house, mainly for security reasons.

Also, is it possible to cut an inch or 2 off the Bars? Would a shop do this and would it affect the steering/stabilty at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Is there enough room for the bike between the side gate and the narrow section? So that you wouldnt have to pass it twice a day? I actually found squeezing down the side passage in my old house a doddle compared to the turn at the garden end :o

I'd look into getting a different set of bars for the bike rather then cutting the existing. That way you can put it back to normal when you want to shift it. Renthal have all the measurements for their bars on their site iirc for example

as for actually cutting them - cant say I'd recommend it... probably be able to just remove the bar-ends (if present), but then the bars might vibrate excessively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You should be able to wiggle the bike through, just lean it over a bit and use some counter steering to get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

i have a ninja 250r for sale and it has narrow bars!...09 bike in very good nick. here is a front pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

used to have a bros 400 their pretty narrow, if you leave the mirror just hand tight so you can swing it in should nt be a problem, used to be able to drive straight in doors with it but watch fingers and toes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've the same problem. My GS500 fits in perfect but the Varadero does not. I end up having to turn the steering sideways and slowing moving it in. Just about fits.

Maybe you could stick the front wheel on something with wheels and wheel it in with the handlebars turned. That could be pretty dangerous though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement