Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad 3 rumours + announcements

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Does this mean a new version of iOS for both iPad and iPhone users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Battleflag wrote: »
    Does this mean a new version of iOS for both iPad and iPhone users?

Probably just 5.1...few enhancements mainly or bugfixes and support for the new ipad3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

jester77 wrote: »
    It will be the equivalent of going from an iphone 3 to an iphone 4. The difference between the 2 was day and night. Have you tried reading something on an iPad, I find it difficult with a lot of ghosting around the text, the same as it was with the iphone 3. The clarity of the iphone 4 is fantastic and this is how the ipad 3 will be.

It's widely accepted at this stage however that the ipad 3 wont have as high a ppi as the iphone 4. So it won't be retina

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Blazer wrote: »
    But it's a big resolution jump...a lot of people will complain that the text is too small for them to read and will end up enlarging the text thus negating the display.
    Movies will look awesome though although in fairness high def movies look excellent already.
    The screen will be the same size, just more detail. Text won't be smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Eoin247 wrote: »
    IMO Android is superior to IOS. Only thing IOS really has over android is it's headstart on apps (To which android is catching up very quickly)

and 3D Acceleration, and higher priority UI threading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Eoin247 wrote: »
    It's widely accepted at this stage however that the ipad 3 wont have as high a ppi as the iphone 4. So it won't be retina

Where is it widely accepted?

That's the complete opposite to what I've been reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

All I can say is that I'm partially sighted so in general screen deficiencies don't matter to me too much however even I can see the pixelation and the general low res of the iPad screen. I've got an iPad 1. The iPhone 4 screen is fantastic. The extra res will really add to Hi Res movies and games. I've done some comparisons between video on my iPhone v my iPad and while you have to account for the different sizes, the brightness and clarity on the iPhone wins hands down. The iPad really needs to catch up and it's going to! Personally I can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I heard from a reliable source, that the iPad 3 will be a little thinner, have a faster quad core processor, longer batter life. the special edition version of the iPod 3 will have a solid gold unibody case with a flattering portrait of the late Steve Jobs on the back. The image is of Steve relaxing casually in the natural setting of a beautiful walled garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Spacedog wrote: »
    the special edition version of the iPod 3 will have a solid gold unibody case with a flattering portrait of the late Steve Jobs on the back. The image is of Steve relaxing casually in the natural setting of a beautiful walled garden.

Sheer class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Will an improved screen resolution even be noticable on a ipad screen size?

I've an ipad 2 and I can't imagine what the new version could offer to entice me to upgrade.

I regret buying the iPad2 owing to the resolution, it's not bad but there are too many websites I visit that the combination of the screen size and resolution force me to play around with the level of zoom. e.g. Chud.com is particularly horrible in portrait - not helped by its own design - and is one site that could definitely benefit form increased ppi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wonder will we see an iPad 2s? I've seen it posted once or twice on the likes of Silicon Republic.

I have the iPad 1 nothing in the iPad 2 would make me upgrade. There would need to be a significant amount of improvements to see me go to the iPad 3

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where is it widely accepted?

That's the complete opposite to what I've been reading.

No he's right, given the current rumours (2048x1536) the ppi would be around 260ish. Of course the can still call it Retina display since it's more a marketing name than an actual spec.

The screen will be the same size, just more detail. Text won't be smaller.

Of course it will...just look at your monitor.
    Try changing your resolution and see how text looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The text didn't get smaller in move from 3 to 4, so why would it happen here?

That's not the same thing at all. Every hear of a thing called resolution independence. If what you said were true the elements on the iPhone 4 would be tiny compared to the 3GS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I'm in a situation where my brother is coming home from America at the end of this month. I had asked him a while agao to buy an ipad 2 to bring back to ireland. I knew that a new version was probably on it's way but what I'm wondering is
    1) Do apple usually bring in price reductions before the launch of the new version?
    2) Would I be stupid to get version 2 now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

godtabh wrote: »
    I wonder will we see an iPad 2s? I've seen it posted once or twice on the likes of Silicon Republic.

I have the iPad 1 nothing in the iPad 2 would make me upgrade. There would need to be a significant amount of improvements to see me go to the iPad 3

I never understand why people are so obsessed with the naming conventions. Who gives a rats ass whether it is ipad2s, ipad3, ipad53, maxipad. its the specs and functionality that matter.
    NEDDURC wrote: »
    I'm in a situation where my brother is coming home from America at the end of this month. I had asked him a while agao to buy an ipad 2 to bring back to ireland. I knew that a new version was probably on it's way but what I'm wondering is
    1) Do apple usually bring in price reductions before the launch of the new version?

1) No
    2) Probably. If you were buying it here I would say definitely foolish. But it will be instantly devalued when the new one comes out anyway - regardless of whether the ipad2 is scrapped or continues to be sold at a lower price. On balance I think you are probably better off waiting for the ipad3

That's not the same thing at all. Every hear of a thing called resolution independence. If what you said were true the elements on the iPhone 4 would be tiny compared to the 3GS.

hmmm...you could be right :)
    hopefully then it is a quad-core chip...if they do release an ipad with that resolution and only dual-core I'd have no interest in buying it as it will definitely be underpowered pushing out at the resolution..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭touts

I think the recent interview Tim Cook gave about Apple market share was interesting.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/25800-apple-ceo-cook-predicts-mas

OK on this he mainly talked about the iPhone but I think it indicates a change in focus from Apple. They want more of the 9 out of 10 customers who buy something else. I suspect the iPad has a bigger share of the tablet market BUT if they want bigger market share across the board then it makes sense to do something with iPads also. It makes me wonder if the long rumoured budget Apple devices for developing markets are on the way.

In that case could we see the basic (16gb wifi only) iPad2 being continued but at a significantly lower price designed to secure more market share for Apple while the iPad3 slots into the current price but with a significantly upgraded spec. Or could we even see an entirely new iPad range (say mid way between the iPad2 and iPod touch in both spec and physical size. If not this time then certainly the March 7th announcement will be interesting to see if he gives any indication that this is a future strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I never understand why people are so obsessed with the naming conventions. Who gives a rats ass whether it is ipad2s, ipad3, ipad53, maxipad. its the specs and functionality that matter.

Going from an iPad 2 to iPad 3 would suggest a major upgrade ie 4 core A6, more ram (even if we never know about it), better res, siri port, slimer etc

Going from an iPad 2 to iPad 2S would suggest minor upgrades ie dual core A6, siri port etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think I'd hold off if I was you at this stage as it seems they will be announcing/releasing a new one next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I recently got an iPad 2. Was considering waiting for the 3 but there will always be a new version on the horizon so if you keep waiting you will never end up getting one. I'm perfectly happy with the 2 but the 3 seems just around the corner so it might be worth holding off for a while.

mac rumours claim to have measured pixels on from an ipad3 display and claiming a 'retina' display ipad3

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1325795

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Do you think the price will stay the same?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

godtabh wrote: »
    Going from an iPad 2 to iPad 3 would suggest a major upgrade ie 4 core A6, more ram (even if we never know about it), better res, siri port, slimer etc

Going from an iPad 2 to iPad 2S would suggest minor upgrades ie dual core A6, siri port etc

It's most likely a dual core A5X with a new A5 Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

apple-invite.jpg?w=288

It’s Official: Apple Sends Out Invites For March 7th iPad 3 Event… In San Francisco

Apple just sent out invites for a March 7th event where they promise to have something we really want to see and touch. The event will be held next Wednesday at 10AM PST at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco where they will no doubt unveil the next iPad. This confirms previous reports, besides CNBC’s recent tweet, that Apple was launching the next iPad in the first week of March.
    No doubt the next iPad will be powered by a new CPU and rock LTE data connectivity. But will Apple maintain the same price? What will happen to the iPad 2? Will MG faint when it’s announced? These and others are the questions that we cannot wait to find out.

Source: Techcrunch.com

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

thanks for that! im getting more and more keen to pick one up each time:P
    They are actually quite powerful devices nowadays

also, have taken my eye off the ball this last while but, any word on the iP5?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smck99 wrote: »
    thanks for that! im getting more and more keen to pick one up each time:P
    They are actually quite powerful devices nowadays

also, have taken my eye off the ball this last while but, any word on the iP5?

The 4S has only been out about 4/5 months, you won't hear anything concrete about the next iPhone for a while.

Advertisement