Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating

Options
  • 10-02-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭

I have a roughly (not that easy to calculate the volume) 100 litre corner tank that's experiencing some overheating issues. I have a 150 watt heater (was advised to get this one in the shop) and it hasnt really caused me a lot of grief until recently where it's been keeping the temperature of the tank at a not-so-cosy 31 degrees.

Typically this has happened in the middle of a college term when i've not got a proper look at it but the bottom line is that it's wiped out much of my stock bar one harlequin, a cardinal and a black neon. Looking to restock soon but i want to get to the bottom of this and try and keep the temp at a more sane 26-27 degrees...any idea what might be going wrong? I've turned the temperature on the thermostat down to 24 to compensate for the fact that i may have been sold too powerful a heater but no luck...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

What brand is it? They can have a tendancy to stick.

Once you get the problem sorted,I would keep the tank at 24deg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Rangi wrote: »
    What brand is it? They can have a tendancy to stick.

Once you get the problem sorted,I would keep the tank at 24deg.

Think the brand is an elite. Im thinking that, but then again i've always kept mine at 27 degrees to prevent white spot..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It quite a while since I kept & sold tropical fish but I knew of a few cases where a tank was wiped out by overheating. The contacts on the stat either stuck or in one case welded together. The old remedy used to be to only fit heaters that would heat the tank to a maximum temperature. But then the heaters are running flat out & if there is a real drop in room temp then the heater may not be able to compensate.

I ended up using digital thermometers that have upper & lower temperature alarms. So you can set a minimum & maximum temp so that either triggers the alarm. This is also useful if a heater fails.

I also avoided combined heater/stats unless they were placed in an area with good circulation. I also preferred two stats & two heater per tank to provide some back up.

Advertisement