Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Creeper" burglary

• 10-02-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

A relative's house was broken in to last night, the car keys taken & car stolen.

Can anyone suggest what home security measures could be taken apart from fitting a burglar alarm? The front and rear doors are UPVC with standard multipoint locking and then uPVC french doors with the same locking mechanism.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Roller shutters, A dog , cctv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Fitting anti bump/snap locks.
    Check the windows to make sure that the removable seals are on the inside.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This forum is for Home Security Systems.
    Why apart from an alarm ?Do you have an alarm already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

KoolKid wrote: »
    This forum is for Home Security Systems.
    Why apart from an alarm ?Do you have an alarm already?

Yes and locks are part of home security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My house was also broken into last night.

Took the car and a laptop and purse.

Took seals from window, removed window and came in to help themselves.

Fcukin gutted...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yorky wrote: »
    Yes and locks are part of home security
    You would be better off in DIY for this.
    Moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jnealon wrote: »
    Check the windows to make sure that the removable seals are on the inside.
    Are they are howtos/videos online about how someone would check this themselves?

Here's a couple of pics from a job we priced today.
    1 - has the seals removed
    2 - shows the seals in place, it's easy enough to spot.
    Aluminium windows are easier again
    Thieves broke in through window, cleared out the house, loaded up the family car and drove off
    95% of the windows installed during the boom have the seals on the outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Here's a couple of pics from a job we priced today.
    1 - has the seals removed
    2 - shows the seals in place, it's easy enough to spot.
    Aluminium windows are easier again
    Thieves broke in through window, cleared out the house, loaded up the family car and drove off
    95% of the windows installed during the boom have the seals on the outside

Anything you can do to prevent this happening?

remove the seals and then fix the glass in place with some tec7 or similar
    Do the same with the seals.
    Your local window company might have a better solution but I have seen this done before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

remove the seals and then fix the glass in place with some tec7 or similar
    Do the same with the seals.
    Your local window company might have a better solution but I have seen this done before
    i am a glazier by trade and that is what i do makes.s such a difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Have a zoned alarm system,with a 2nd keypad in the bedroom,so that you can alarm the downstairs part of the house from the bedroom,and still sleep upstairs and go to the loo,without the alarm going off.

The minute anyone enters the house downstairs,then off goes the alarm.

Also a 2nd working bell box on the back of the house too,is a good extra deterent.

Anti snap/drill locks on all exterior doors aswell.

Roller shutters, A dog , cctv

The OP never mentioned having a garage though.

But if you are going for roller shutters,then you want industrial grade shutters that have a built in anti lift anchor/lock on them.;)

paddy147 wrote: »
    The OP never mentioned having a garage though.

But if you are going for roller shutters,then you want industrial grade shutters that have a built in anti lift anchor/lock on them.;)

I ment on the windows! :D zombie proof much ! :pac:

I ment on the windows! :D zombie proof much ! :pac:

Sure just stick explosives around the house,outside in the garden and blow them all up (like in I Am Legend)

Anyone know how to fix the brackets on window frames? When there closed there is a gap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yorky wrote: »
    A relative's house was broken in to last night, the car keys taken & car stolen.

Can anyone suggest what home security measures could be taken apart from fitting a burglar alarm? The front and rear doors are UPVC with standard multipoint locking and then uPVC french doors with the same locking mechanism.

Thanks in advance

I installed extra locks on my French doors two weeks ago, did the same for my mother the other day, I bought them in woodies/Atlantic 10 euro for one without a lock and 13 for one with a lock, i didn't bother with the lock for my own house, it was installed in 2 min, you get two self tapping screws with it so all you need is a battery drill with a Philips head. If the door open out pop the lock on the inside of the door it has an outreach arm that turns over the frame of the door and it adds an extra lock to your door, it can help to double up on a door lock if they pop the lock in the door from the outside, so its similar to a bolt but looks better. I have mine at the end of the door, you can just use your foot to open and close it.

I also have garrison locks on my uPVC doors, they snap off in the door if intruders try to simply pull the lock out of the door, I had these retro fitted to the doors by DynoLock, but you can do it yourself, its very easy, you can buy them on line and get them with matching keys so the same key opens two or three doors, this cuts down on you having lots of keys as they are expensive.

I also removed the letter box from my front door, blocked it up. I have one of those steel postboxes. This helps to prevent against keys being taken off hall tables using a fishing rod. It's also possible on some doors to hook a bar in the letter box and pull the handle of the door down, so a letter box is a risk, particularly if you don't dead lock the door with your key at night. You can also go on to the garda web site, they have a check list for a home owner to go through.

Advertisement