Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA + VGA to DVI adapter... won't fit

Options
  • 10-02-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I thought would be a very simple purchase of a new monitor cable.

So the monitor is vga, the computer only has two dvi ports in the back. Thus I needed some sort of VGA -> DVI thing. I bought a vga cable, and a vga to dvi adapter which I thought would do the job.

Turns out they won't fit together because the vga end of the adapter is exactly the same as both ends of the vga cable - neither fits into it.

What I want to know is:
    1. Do I have to specify the 'sex?' of each cable/adapter pair I need to get one simple cable from my monitor to my computer?
    2. I thought employees in somewhere like Curry's would be knowledgeable enough to sell someone, especially when being bought together for this purpose, cables/adapters that would be fit to use together.

I'm not much of a hardware person as you can see, but I didn't think getting my monitor connected to my pc would be so difficult...

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You bought the wrong gender converter.

So either:
    a) Get a gender-bender (ie a male to female)
    b) Get the right converter

The ones with holes are female, and the ones with pins are male :pac: Figure out exactly what kind you want, female<->female, male<->male or what.

To address your questions properly:
    1. Yes, as above figure out the sex. It's pretty straight-forward.
    2. If they were proper engineers they wouldn't be working in Curry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I think this is what you want & have a few of these about if you want one, PM me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Adapter_DVI_to_VGA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

2. I thought employees in somewhere like Curry's would be knowledgeable enough to sell someone, especially when being bought together for this purpose, cables/adapters that would be fit to use together.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    2. If they were proper engineers they wouldn't be working in Curry's.

hahaha that did make me chuckle :D

Advertisement