Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to get a deposit together to buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

djimi wrote: »
    Depends on what you are buying I suppose. I can get stuff for my lunch there that will last 3 days and cost less than what one lunch would cost in most other shops. Generally Id say they are cheaper than most other supermarkets for most things, or certainly a good percentage of items.

You are of course correct, it depends what you are buying.

If we must get pedantic about itsmile.gif

Across their own lines which are unique to Lidl/ Aldi they are generally pretty good value alright. Things such as canned soup, beans, pasta, fruit juices, cooking oil, soft drinks. However, practically all the other supermarkets would usually have items just as cheap and cheaper in their value range. Granted though the quality of the items in the other supermarkets value range will not always be as good and if you need to draw a comparison with other supermarkets mid range items Lidl / Aldi will generally work out that bit cheaper.

More everyday items such as milk, eggs, sugar, fresh raw meat and poultry Lidl/ Aldi are usually bang on the same price, some items a little cheaper and some that few cent more expensive.

However, brand names that you can draw a direct comparison with other supermarkets with. Names such as Cadbury's, Weetabix, Heinz, Mars, Coca Cola, Flash detergent, Colgate-Palmolive, Guinness etc often tend to be more expensive in Lidl/ Aldi....certainly no cheaper. This is compounded by the fact that they would seldom seem to have much in the way of reductions/ offers in these lines as other supermarkets tend to do. This I feel is where Lidl/ Aldi have you. Go for the cheaper non brand names says you. In principle yes but myself for example as a big chocolate eater and not overly fussy person just won't eat Lidl/ Aldi chocolate or many of the budget brands for other supermarkets for that matter. Im sure others feel the same way about Guinness/ Weetabix/ Coca Cola etc

People go in, fill their trolley, with many of these items too and assume they're saving. I have to laugh at that notion, and its the point I was initially attempting to convey. Of course fair to say that the same could be said if you do all your shopping in any one supermarket of course. But were talking about saving money and some who wish to do so won't trouble themselves by going to more than one supermarket in order to do so.....so where are we going

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

The solution seems quite simple get a new job that pays more

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Man007 wrote: »

And wait at the very, very least 6 months and probably more like 18 before a bank will look at you for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Man007 wrote: »
    MYOB wrote: »
    And wait at the very, very least 6 months and probably more like 18 before a bank will look at you for a mortgage.

And also like the OP can just up sticks and walk into a better paid job. Granted I don't know what line of work the OP is in but there'd want to be more jobs available in the first place for the OP to be afforded the opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

maxpowers wrote: »
    We would be 4/5 years trying to save that! Obviously we are lucky to be both working but its quite disheartening to think of the long road ahead!
    So what? That's why banks ask for deposits, not just to cushion themselves against losses, but also because it shows that you have the budgeting ability and the self discipline to save regularly over a long period. They want to know you're not going to end up like those people on Liveline who are looking for "their NAMA". A lot can change over the lifetime of a mortgage.
    Maybe we should cancel the wedding!!
    Most people go a little crazy for weddings, but look at it from the banks POV - you've taken your savings and blown it (as far as the bank would view it). You think it's the right thing to do, so enjoy yourself and knuckle down to saving when you return.

The banks are looking for consistency in saving more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

70k combined annual income
    Would that be roughly 4k monthly take home?

If so, you should be putting away 1k a month easily.
    Whether that is going on a wedding or deposit is your business, but if your not saving that per month i think you are doing something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Getting married is an emotional decision, buying a home is an emotional decision...

Thinking emotionally is often not a good thing. :)

You are creating problems for yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Petrol & Traffic?? Get the train instead! Me & my partner live in Dublin, we also have a child. Atm we live in a fairly biggish (for inner city) apartment - €900pm. We need more room so are moving out towards clonsilla and finding a bigger place but still refuse to go €900pm. Getting the train into work. You're paying way too much rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No trains to Clonskeagh.

Luas goes close-ish though.

No trains to Clonskeagh.

Luas goes close-ish though.

Well you could get the Luas but you're still throwing away a few hundred euro on rent. I know you prob like where you live & the area, and don't want to move. I know myself that i'd sacrafice the nice house while my child is young in order to have the deposit for a nicer house as she grows up. Like others have said you will have to sacrifice some part of your life in order to get to your goal quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

lilymc wrote: »
    Well you could get the Luas but you're still throwing away a few hundred euro on rent. I know you prob like where you live & the area, and don't want to move. I know myself that i'd sacrafice the nice house while my child is young in order to have the deposit for a nicer house as she grows up. Like others have said you will have to sacrifice some part of your life in order to get to your goal quicker.

Nothing to do with me. I live city centre, and walk everywhere except when I drive to the North.
    I was simply correcting your suggestion that the OP could get a train to work when they work absolutely nowhere near a train line.

Nothing to do with me. I live city centre, and walk everywhere except when I drive to the North.
    I was simply correcting your suggestion that the OP could get a train to work when they work absolutely nowhere near a train line.

My apoligies. I have a bad case of insomnia so not reading things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op, see these 3

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1149497
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1170381
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1163218

what kind of property are you renting at the moment? also do and the fiance have 1 or 2 cars total?

Advertisement