Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A large collection of found imagery from R&H Halls

Options
  • 10-02-2012 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been meaning to upload these photos for quite some time now, on a trip to the Mills in Waterford a few months back I cam across quite a large amount of negatives,

I was very excited as much of our generation don't really know a whole lot about probably the largest collections of buildings in the city, not a whole lot can be found online and there isn't really any photography from when the place was in operation which is a shame,

I was thrilled to come across these photos which show the place in action, some of you might even know who took these photos, or may have worked there, so I'm glad after days of scanning and uploading to share them with you.

I'm a little unsure as to what I should do with this stuff next, possibly hand it into the museum?

Click the link below to follow on to the collection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76353680@N04/

Regards

Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

why did the place close, surely there would be a need for it still these days???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

great find, I would say the city council archives dept would be interested in these. If you go that route I would suggest you ask them to credit you with the find whenever they use them unless you would rather not be mentioned.

Welcome to Boards and this forum, see you only joined yesterday.......what a start.....

welcome-04-june.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

why did the place close, surely there would be a need for it still these days???

R & H Hall was bought by IAWS in 1990 - it closed mainly because the demand arose for larger ships , and IAWS made a large investment into Ringaskiddy , building massive warehouses .

Belview Port also opened and the jetty where Halls are located closed .

Great bunch of photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

So surely IAWS are responsible for clearing up that site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Typhoon. wrote: »

Interesting site, the photos of the lunatic aslyums are quite eerie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

wellboy76 wrote: »
    So surely IAWS are responsible for clearing up that site?

The site was owned by McInerney’s who went bust a couple of years ago. So presumably the site is with NAMA now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Great photos!
    It's a pity those buildings are so dilipadated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Might as well have been the Cork Docks, the photos are brilliant. I remember as boy in Cork taking pics, but these are long gone and the most exciting part was those mini diggers, they were ferocious drivers, doing wheelies and circles and all sorts.

Never saw them actually inside the ship's hold as your photos show but I knew what they were doing. I remember photography was banned due to fire regulations ~ that may be one explanation as to why there is so little photography.

We've had two major incidents and three deaths from explosion and fire events at our docks in the last ten years [or maybe even longer].

Thanks for posting.

Advertisement