Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Fishing

Options
  • 10-02-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I have recently relocated to Sligo and was wondering about fishing in the area. A decent little lake with rainbows would be fine for a day out here and there, and maybe even a river thats accessible.

Anyone know of any nice spots and what are the costs associated with them? Licences, permits, etc? Ballisodare would be my nearest location to a river, but dont mind travelling up to 40km. My preference is fly fishing for trout or salmon which is not in excess of 20 euro per day??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

There's rainbows in Lough Na Leibe outside Ballymote, and in Lough Bo, in the hills above Lough Arrow, a few miles from Riverstown.

Then you have free fishing in Lough Easky and Lough Talt in the Ox mountains near Tubbercurry. Talt is by far the better of the 2, absolutely teeming with small browns and easily catchable from the shore. Most are only a few ounces but you can get lucky and get them 1lb and possibly even a little more.

And of course theres Lough Arrow. Browns up to 10lb, plenty caught around the 4-5lb mark every year when the mayfly are hatching.

I don't do much Salmon fishing but i know it'll cost a fair bit more than €20 to fish the Ballisodare river. Cheaper option is trying Lough Gill. Yo're also within 40 minutes of the Moy in Ballina so thats a good option but again you'll pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Drumcliffe river is worth a throw after a spate

Have your wallet ready for ballisodare

However its the closest thing to guaranteed salmon there is!!!!!
    Mosiki wrote: »
    I have recently relocated to Sligo and was wondering about fishing in the area. A decent little lake with rainbows would be fine for a day out here and there, and maybe even a river thats accessible.

Anyone know of any nice spots and what are the costs associated with them? Licences, permits, etc? Ballisodare would be my nearest location to a river, but dont mind travelling up to 40km. My preference is fly fishing for trout or salmon which is not in excess of 20 euro per day??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

You can join Sligo Anglers for around €30/€60 (the second option is for if you want a permit for Glencar too) which will allow you to fish the Drumcliffe River and Glencar lake for the year. The river and lake get a good run of Salmon and Sea Trout. It was catch + release last year, but I'm not sure what it is this year.

Lough na Liebe near Ballymote is stocked with Rainbows and fishing there is controlled by Ballymote Anglers. You can get day tickets to it in Ballymote or you could join Ballymote Anglers club and get to fish it for the year.

Lough Talt has good free trout fishing although the trout are generally small.

Lough Doon is a small lake on the Calry road. It's €5 for a shore day ticket €20 to use the boat. There's nice trout fishing there although again they're fairly small. Permits can be got in Dromahair.

Up towards Bundoran direction there is Lough Melvin, the Bunduff river and the Drowes.
    Lough Melvin has very good trout fishing and it's free.

The Drowes and the Duff are both good Salmon rivers and cost €25 and €15 for a day ticket.

There is a bit of Salmon fishing in Lough Gill and good trout fishing in Lough Arrow.

The Ballysadare fishery very expensive to fish. I think it was around €100 for a day last time I checked, which was a couple of years ago.

Advertisement