Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popping into Dublin

Options
  • 10-02-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I am popping into Dublin next week in order to pay my respects to my Great Grandfather.

None of my research has thrown up which graveyard he is buried in. (I am not even sure of his exact date of death)

Any advice on research for this visit would be gratefully received, as I am only going to have one day to do the visit due to ill health and medical appointments.

I do know that he lived in the St Peter's Parish in the church of St Peter formally in Aungier Street ( Not St Peter in Phibsboro) It is now the YMCA building I am informed.

Could anybody tell me the name(s) of any graveyards in that area to give me a head start?

You have all helped wonderfully in the past so I am hoping you can aid me in this quest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I think Mount Jerome would be the nearest to there. Its in Harold's cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Make sure you check out Glasnevin. I have many relatives there dating from mid nineteenth century and they all lived on the south side of the city. It wasn't always the closest cemetery to where people lived that was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

To be honest, I think you would need to do a little bit of research and give yourself more time to find those details before you make that trip to Dublin to visit his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Glasnevin Cemetery have a computer room in their visitors center where you can check their records of who is buried there and in other Glasnevin Trust cemeteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The Graveyard that adjoined St Peters is now gone I'm afraid. It was cleared (I think the bodies were moved to Mount Jerome) and replaced by a combo of the YMCA and office buildings during the 'glory' days of Irish planning

I would contact the folks at the Whitefriar St church and/or Mount Jerome for more info

Best of luck with the search, let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

all my lot are from around that way and are buried in mount jerome.

you will need a couple of hours there

http://www.mountjerome.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you all for your help. I knew I had posted in the right place. You folks are brilliant.

I will let you know how I get on.

I suspect I will be wearing out some shoe leather when I get there.

It is a pity I can't spend more time there just yet, but I will do what I can, and let you know what happens.

My post vanished, but basically I did a short thank you to you all and a promise to let you know how I get on.

And now it has reappeared. I think I may have to torture my computer a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Rubecula wrote: »
    I am popping into Dublin next week in order to pay my respects to my Great Grandfather.

None of my research has thrown up which graveyard he is buried in. (I am not even sure of his exact date of death)

Any advice on research for this visit would be gratefully received, as I am only going to have one day to do the visit due to ill health and medical appointments.

I do know that he lived in the St Peter's Parish in the church of St Peter formally in Aungier Street ( Not St Peter in Phibsboro) It is now the YMCA building I am informed.

Could anybody tell me the name(s) of any graveyards in that area to give me a head start?

You have all helped wonderfully in the past so I am hoping you can aid me in this quest.

a lot of cemetries were have online records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Rubecula wrote: »

Hi Rubecula ... there are a few old disused graveyards in the South Inner City near the area your Great Grandfather was from, so unless you knew exactly where and when he died you might struggle to find his grave.There was a cemetery called the cabbage patch off Kevin Street and another in the James street area as well as a few others.
    I know the area your Great Grandfathers from fairly well and like a previous poster suggested Whitefriar st church and Mount Jerome might be worth a visit too.

• Advertisement

I am bringing my walking shoes with me. And I have a feeling that whatever the outcome I am going to enjoy the short visit. Thank you all so very much. You have been very kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would seriously suggest you do some more research before coming over.

Check out (may contain too much detail!) http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Dublin&id=11502

Location: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715448,733513,7,9

The YMCA building is here (glass front - St. Peters also extended over the buildings to the left): http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Aungier+Street&hl=en&ll=53.33925,-6.265833&spn=0.000785,0.002642&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=6.42257,21.643066&hnear=Aungier+St,+Rathmines,+Dublin,+County+Dublin&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.339439,-6.265909&panoid=-4B-VHpbag_-K4PH2c9i9g&cbp=12,237.49,,0,-7.77 and here (to right of gated laneway): http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Peter+Row&hl=en&ll=53.339306,-6.266922&spn=0.000785,0.002642&sll=53.339439,-6.265908&sspn=0.000791,0.002642&hnear=Peter+Row,+Dublin,+County+Dublin&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.339459,-6.267044&panoid=ouwF8JvUHzelGdWFIFbh7A&cbp=12,108.52,,0,-6.21 I don't know if the funeral home would have information.
    A Disgrace wrote: »
    The Graveyard that adjoined St Peters is now gone I'm afraid. It was cleared (I think the bodies were moved to Mount Jerome)
    The wiki suggest this may have only been the Huguenot congregation.
    I would contact the folks at the Whitefriar St church and/or Mount Jerome for more info
    St. Peters was Church of Ireland, Whitefriars is Catholic (Carmelite).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peter%27s_Church,_Aungier_Street,_Dublin

I am grateful for that information Victor and the links you posted. Thank you for your kind help.

Advertisement