Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of upgrading my pc

Options
  • 10-02-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? I don't really have a budget in mind just wondering how how id be paying to get a big jump to make it worth while

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? A bit of gaming the likes of command and conquer

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes Hard drive's have about 5Tb that i can use have DVD Drive's Case 1k PSU

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Of the top of my head its 28" [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes I would just need a water block as ive got a lquid cooled pc at the moment so can use that cooling system

8. How can you pay? Any way

9. When are you purchasing? Not in a rush

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dont need help

My Pc ive got is 3Ghz dual core socket 775 needs a new water block its on air at the moment runing at 3.6 Ghz for it so was thinking of upgrading my pc as i don't want to spend mad money on a water block but im not sure i was thinking i might be better of to get a quad core socket 775 cpu and keep my pc ive got. Ive got 8 gb of ram load's of hard drive space 2 hd 4850's in crossfire 1 K watt psu

I just don't know what to do.

What would be the best cheapest upgrade i could do or go a new build ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As regards the waterblock, if you're looking for a good cheap one, I'd recommend the XSPC Rasa. You can get it for as little as €30 used in places. It's about €40-50 new.

If it's 775, then it's DDR2, so you'll need new RAM as well, but you could sell off the RAM to make up for it.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €314.54 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.49
    8GB-Kit A-Data Value PC3-1333 CL9|€33.20
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.85

This would pretty much bump you to top-of-the-line current stuff. Not sure if it's within your budget or not. It would certainly give you one mother of a CPU boost (that's not counting the fact that with a waterblock you're look at 4.8GHz territory.), and you could recoup some of the money from selling the RAM. DDR2 is scarce these days, so you could probably get a fair chunk of cash for it.

Advertisement