Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

dechol wrote: »
    Is there somewhere to leave a bag while running?

Malahide PR?

the carpark is quite close to the start line if you're driving. A nice handy warm up jog away.I saw people had left stuff in the field (unattended i think?) but might not be a great idea if it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

dechol wrote: »
    Is there somewhere to leave a bag while running?

I assume you are referring to Marlay parkrun. The start and finish are in the same area, bags can be left at own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I wonder how conditions are underfoot at Marley. I was thinking of doing the run in the middle of my planned long run tomorrow but I wouldn't want to have soggy feet after from mushy grass running

statss wrote: »
    I wonder how conditions are underfoot at Marley. I was thinking of doing the run in the middle of my planned long run tomorrow but I wouldn't want to have soggy feet after from mushy grass running

All but the first 150m and last 60m of Marlay are on tarmac & compacted gravel paths. If it gets very wet we will run all of the course on paths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

liamo66 wrote: »
    All but the first 150m and last 60m of Marlay are on tarmac & compacted gravel paths. If it gets very wet we will run all of the course on paths.
    Best of luck for your first event tomorrow Liam!

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »

Thanks plodder can't wait to get it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

plodder wrote: »

+1 on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Looking forward to Marlay tomorrow. Seems like a fast enough course too so hoping for a Parkrun PB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Looking forward to Marlay tomorrow. Seems like a fast enough course too so hoping for a Parkrun PB!

I ran it last Saturday. Its a good course. One incline that you can feel, but should be fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

huskerdu wrote: »
    I ran it last Saturday. Its a good course. One incline that you can feel, but should be fast enough.

I'd agree it's a good course but I'd call it fair rather than fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Well done Marlay Park I really enjoyed that. A great start with hundreds of people, fast & not so fast. I have a time, now to beat it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Great turnout at Marlay Park today, record crowd for a debut Parkrun.

It went very well, hopefully it didn't reduce the numbers at Malahide too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Skid X wrote: »
    It went very well, hopefully it didn't reduce the numbers at Malahide too much.

321 finishers at Malahide today as well so obviously not!!!

Great turnouts. Great to see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

menoscemo wrote: »

321 finishers at Malahide today as well so obviously not!!!

Great turnouts. Great to see.
    Wow.

parkrun is clearly well overdue for making an appearance in Ireland with those kind of numbers. What did Marlay get for their first run?

robinph wrote: »
    Wow.

parkrun is clearly well overdue for making an appearance in Ireland with those kind of numbers. What did Marlay get for their first run?

370 people ran today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great turnout this morning, wonderful weather for it. Thanks to all the volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Injury left me with a big blank space in my diary this morning so decided to give something back and volunteer for Marley. Well worth it, although I was only giving out finishing place tokens, it was a good feeling to be giving something back to the sport. I reckon I will be sidelined for sometime so I'll be back in a yellow hi-vis jacket for a few Saturdays to come.
    I know most people keep their head low when the call for volunteers goes out and that's why there is never enough, but I would recommend anyone to give up a couple of Saturday mornings to do your bit.
    It's only a couple of hours with the race and helping sort out the tokens for the following week.
    So if you enjoy the parkruns and want to see them continue, put your name down for a couple of Saturdays, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Also worth noting there are volunteer jobs that can be done post-run, so you don't need to miss out on your run. Examples include scanning, collecting signs, sorting tokens.

Good news on the Parkrun Ireland Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/parkrunEire?fref=ts
    Two new parkruns coming soon one in Dublin and one in Cork. Watch here for details when finalised

No more details, but great to see the momentum is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Isn't this nice! We had a family double yesterday with Dave (Shamrocks) & Suzanne Sheehy (Fingallians) being the First Finishing man & woman. We love families at parkrun to run together so we are delighted for them both.

• Advertisement

Well done to KrustyC on a very convincing win in Marley today, leading home another big turnout of approx. 340 runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Well done to KrustyC on a very convincing win in Marley today, leading home another big turnout of approx. 340 runners.
    Cheers Gerard. Cracking bit of fun for a Saturday morning. Looks like we got the best of the weather, as it was lashing rain on the way home. Very good course, with just one tough spot around the half way mark (the hill up towards the M50) which was a bit of a struggle with a strong head-wind, but that nice downhill immediately afterwards was ample reward.

Got a bit of a shock when the race started, as 12 lads went off at around 5 minute mile and left me for dust, but settled in half way around the first small loop. Any other Saturday I'd have finished second to Pronator, but he had to slow up from half way, with a niggle in his groin (can't risk anything, with just 8 days to London marathon). Anyway, delighted to have burst my Parkrun cherry, and I will definitely be back. Such a wonderful initiative, and so well run by all the generous volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congratulations, Mr. Clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Cheers Gerard. Cracking bit of fun for a Saturday morning. Looks like we got the best of the weather, as it was lashing rain on the way home. Very good course, with just one tough spot around the half way mark (the hill up towards the M50) which was a bit of a struggle with a strong head-wind, but that nice downhill immediately afterwards was ample reward.

Got a bit of a shock when the race started, as 12 lads went off at around 5 minute mile and left me for dust, but settled in half way around the first small loop. Any other Saturday I'd have finished second to Pronator, but he had to slow up from half way, with a niggle in his groin (can't risk anything, with just 8 days to London marathon). Anyway, delighted to have burst my Parkrun cherry, and I will definitely be back. Such a wonderful initiative, and so well run by all the generous volunteers.

Thought I saw you with a skipping rope on the course at one stage, looking very comfortable, perhaps that lad in second with the Sli Cualann top was thinking about which tube station he needs to exit from Sunday week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Well done KC, fit4life 3k on Thur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Timmaay wrote: »
    Well done KC, fit4life 3k on Thur?
    Three days before London marathon, sadly not. Would love to give it a pop, but it really wouldn't be a good idea. Will see if I can get out of work early and volunteer though (if there are any jobs that don't require a high level of intelligence :)).

Another big well done to jcsmum on the first woman finisher, and a great time, sorry I didn't mention you earlier, I was busy scanning this morning so didn't notice the finishers, just saw the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

very convincing win first finisher in Marley today
    Got a bit of a shock when the race run started

Have translated your posts into parkrun lingo ;)

Well done KC. Not sure if anyone has been first finisher in more than one parkrun event in Ireland - you'll have to travel out to the northside some Saturday and have a shot at Malahide.

A record turnout for Marley this morning of 390. Glorious weather for both runners and volunteers.
    This morning see's the end of my volunteering for a few weeks. Have a late night next Friday and hopefully I'll be actually running the following week, but I'll be back in the hi-vis jacket again soon, its been fun.:)

• Advertisement

Malahide Parkrun's Facebook page reports that they had 427 runners today, a new record.

Over 800 people running today, and new Parkruns coming to Macroom and Lucan soon. Great to see.

edit: Here is the Parkrun Ireland Facebook post (From April 11th)
    Fairly certain now that the next two parkruns will be Castle Demense parkrun Macroom county Cork starting 18/5/13 followed by Griffeen parkrun Dublin (Lucan) starting 15/6/13.

Discussions ongoing with other venues as well so the parkrun community is growing.

We still need to attract a national sponsor so we can finance incentives like parkrun T's for junior 10, 50 & 100 runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Skid X wrote: »
    Malahide Parkrun's Facebook page reports that they had 427 runners today, a new record.

Over 800 people running today, and new Parkruns coming to Macroom and Lucan soon. Great to see.

good to see the lucan one starting up in June. Looks like i will finally be able to join a parkrun and see what all the fuss was is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

scheister wrote: »
    good to see the lucan one starting up in June. Looks like i will finally be able to join a parkrun and see what all the fuss was is about
    + 1 on this count me in !!! is there an age limit!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

First time down, very well organised, great atmosphere. Il be back for sure.

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    + 1 on this count me in !!! is there an age limit!!!!

No, all are welcome, young and not so young. You see people of all ages there every week.
    Q. Can children take part? - Yes - we love to see happy children of all ages taking part and finishing. We ask that children under 11 are accompanied throughout the run by a parent or guardian.

http://support.parkrun.com/entries/22026412-Can-children-take-part-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Lots of unknown finishers in Malahide today - don't forget to register and bring your barcode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

how does the parkrun system work? with the new runs coming in how do people register and get setup before the first run?

slingerz wrote: »
    how does the parkrun system work? with the new runs coming in how do people register and get setup before the first run?

Its all here. good luck. See you there

www.parkrun.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Just register here:

http://www.parkrun.ie/register/

At the moment you can only choose Malahide or Marlay as your home Parkrun, but your barcode will also work at any future Parkrun. Just print your barcode and bring it with you to any Parkrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

and you can change your 'home run' to one of the new events later.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Really enjoyed Malahide park run a few weeks ago. Great to see one setting up in Lucan - far more local forms. A bunch of friends and relatives being "persuaded" to run inLucan!:-)

• Advertisement

I just remembered there is a thread in Athletics & Running Events for the Griffeen (Lucan) Parkrun set up one of the organisers. UltraRunPaul is the man to contact for anyone who wants to volunteer or find out more information ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056921630
    We're working with the Parkrun organisation to get a west Dublin event up and running in the next few weeks to follow in the success of Malahide and Marlay. If anyone wants to learn more or get involved in the organising please post here or DM me. Any suggestions and comments will be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Stupid question for someone who grew up within a stones throw of Marley, but is there somewhere decent to park a bike at or near the car park in marley there? I have only been there in a car? :o

Want to do a long run somewhere new for me tomorrow, and had the good idea of incorporating Marlay Park Run, to break my ParkRun virginity :)

Stupid question for someone who grew up within a stones throw of Marley, but is there somewhere decent to park a bike at or near the car park in marley there? I have only been there in a car? :o

Want to do a long run somewhere new for me tomorrow, and had the good idea of incorporating Marlay Park Run, to break my ParkRun virginity :)

THere are bike racks in the car park. They aren't great. Standard bike racks and a bit close to where cars are parked, but i usually manage to find a decent one. There is also a metal fence in the car park which bikes can easily be locked to with a long lock, but I dont know if this is allowed.

In general, its easy enough to find somewhere to lock a bike. I do it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

+1 hoping to make Marlay park tomorrow just for a change of scenery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Great crowd up in malahide today, biggest yet apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dj30

I just did my second parkrun in Marlay park this morning. Fantastic event and great organisation as it always seems to be.

Just wondering if anyone else was using a GPS tracker watch? While I was delighted with my time (<23 minutes), both times I have done the run, my watch has measured it at around 4.85km instead of 5k. I know it doesn't sound like much - but would need to add about 45-50 seconds to my time if my watch really is accurate (which is a time I'd be less happy with)

I'm sure this is an inaccuracy in my watch rather than the course, and would be quicker to rely on the methods the organisers use to measure the course, but would be keen to hear other's experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

dj30 wrote: »
    I just did my second parkrun in Marlay park this morning. Fantastic event and great organisation as it always seems to be.

Just wondering if anyone else was using a GPS tracker watch? While I was delighted with my time (<23 minutes), both times I have done the run, my watch has measured it at around 4.85km instead of 5k. I know it doesn't sound like much - but would need to add about 45-50 seconds to my time if my watch really is accurate (which is a time I'd be less happy with)

I'm sure this is an inaccuracy in my watch rather than the course, and would be quicker to rely on the methods the organisers use to measure the course, but would be keen to hear other's experiences.

I had it just over 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dj30 wrote: »

Look at the route you uploaded from your gps versus the satellite map, gps often struggles with tree cover and resorts to joining the dots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Curious about this myself. I've done the same UK parkrun 4 times and the garmin clocked it between 4.59-4.72. Happy with the time today so hopefully it is just tree coverage and such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement