Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time work - resignation letter?

Options
  • 10-02-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

A friend has very recently decided to quit her part time cleaning job due to an untrue claim made by another employee. She was going to leave in a few months anyway but has decided to go now. Her employer has asked for a letter of resignation.

My question is do part time workers need to give a letter of resignation? My friend thinks she wants this letter to try and offset any possible legal action due to the untrue claim, which my friend probably wont pursue as they just want out of there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes of course they would, they are no different to any other employee in that regard. The difference comes in only with regard to length of service- the longer you're there the more notice you have to give. If she just leaves without giving notice she leaves herself open to creating a bad relationship with the employer and a decision over whether or not to put him/her on the CV or as a reference as they can refuse to give a reference if they're pissed off. In these times anyone leaving a job they will want to list on their CV should leave on the best terms possible, plenty regret doing otherwise.

The letter does not have to be long. The usual format for a job like this would be 'I hereby give notice that I wish to terminate my contract on the X of X' You can stop if there or add in a reason, not essential though and this case sounds awkward so I wouldn't bother. But a 'I wish to thank the company for the knowledge and experience I have gained' or words to that effect should be at the end.

The normal time period is one week's notice, if she is there more than 2 years she will probably have to give more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Happy Campers x 5

Thats entirely up to your friend I would say. I would'nt expect your friend would be using this person for a ref if they're makeing false allegations. Always remember a boss wouldn't give you 2 second notice if you were being fired

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes of course they would, they are no different to any other employee in that regard. The difference comes in only with regard to length of service- the longer you're there the more notice you have to give. If she just leaves without giving notice she leaves herself open to creating a bad relationship with the employer and a decision over whether or not to put him/her on the CV or as a reference as they can refuse to give a reference if they're pissed off. In these times anyone leaving a job they will want to list on their CV should leave on the best terms possible, plenty regret doing otherwise.

The letter does not have to be long. The usual format for a job like this would be 'I hereby give notice that I wish to terminate my contract on the X of X' You can stop if there or add in a reason, not essential though and this case sounds awkward so I wouldn't bother. But a 'I wish to thank the company for the knowledge and experience I have gained' or words to that effect should be at the end.

The normal time period is one week's notice, if she is there more than 2 years she will probably have to give more.

Thanks for your reply. Notice isn't the problem, my friend was always going to give that, it was the actual written letter that I was wondering about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tom Harward

there are many sample resignation letters here, hope it would help! http://forums.learnist.org/resignation-letters/

Advertisement