Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick brothers get another $18m in V.C funding

Options
  • 10-02-2012 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Great to see, pity it could never happen here and that the wealth is being created over there.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0210/breaking37.html

If anyone is doing anything interesting and needs help from someone from a finance background drop me a PM...

anyone else know what the V.C situation is like in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

MrMatisse wrote: »
    anyone else know what the V.C situation is like in ireland?

Are you interested to hear what is like from an entrepreneur's perspective, or from a VC's perspective?

Stripe is an awesome story, the team seems to be killing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Entrepreneur,

Yep an awesome story:D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Entrepreneur,

I don't have an entrepreneur's perspective on what it is really like trying to raise capital in Ireland at the moment, haven't been involved in raising any money from Irish VCs/in Ireland.

There seem to be some reasonably positive developments on the funding front though - Polaris/Dogpatch have recently opened in Dublin, and there are a couple of other US funds opening offices in Ireland as well (ARCH is an example). I think these are linked to the government's Innovation Fund initiative. The NDRC and some of the other recently opened incubators/accelerators are definitely adding something to the ecosystem.

At the same time EI is still putting some money to work - I believe EI even claimed to be among Europe's most active VCs recently. Their 2010 report indicates they invested €42M into 74 companies, either directly or through funds they invest in. EI's HPSU program is pretty good, provided you qualify and jump through the hoops they require, and they also just a launched a fund dedicated to helping overseas entrepreneurs start their business in Ireland.

Some of the indigenous Irish funds are solid, I would be comfortable referring entrepreneurs to both Kernel and NCB Ventures for example (disclosure: I know investment professionals in both firms).

Advertisement