Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay day changed - paying rent late?

Options
  • 10-02-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Heya,

I'm currently renting a house for almost a year and never had any problems. Always paid my rent on time as I used to be paid on the last Friday of every month.

Fast forward, the company I work for will change the payday to the 7th of each month (for Payroll reasons)this year. They are currently changing the dates so people don't have huge gaps, in February it will be paid on the 29th and that's fine. However, the next wage will only come on 2. April and then keep moving till it is on around the 7th of each month.

I currently do live from wage to wage and couldn't save anything (sole income in the household)so there is no way I can pay my wage on time, I know the bank collect's the mortgage on the last day of the month.

I don't want to cause any problem from my landlords (I have 2, very nice people) but I won't be able to pay before payday. How are the chances that the bank would move the date under these circumstances?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Would you not approach your landlords and explain the situation and take it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Oh I definitely will, no way I will just have this as a surprise.

I was just curious how other people's experience is with that, especially with the banks. I don't want them to have late fees every month =/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

If you are a good tenant and you pay every month, and keep the place well then I don't think landlord will have an issue. Better have a good tenant in the house than having none at all...

Wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks paddy, that calms me down a bit! I have here for work reasons and just love the house and surrounding. Was scared Iäd ask to move out at the end of Lease in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

How do you know their mortgage date? Mine is the 24th of the month, I chose it because at the time I got paid on the 22nd. I never heard of the last day of the month thing, I was asked what date I wanted to pay it each month on drawdown.

I dont think you get late fees, I think your mortgage goes into arrears. I would advise talking to them about it as you are just speculating on their financial affairs otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Talk to the landlord asap. As a landlord myself, as you have a solid payment history I would have no problem letting you take an extra ten days that month to bring you up to the 8th (and then of course pay for the extra days). But as others have said, the LL may also need to change his own outgoing mortgage based on your delayed payment, so the more warning they have the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

silja wrote: »
    Talk to the landlord asap. As a landlord myself, as you have a solid payment history I would have no problem letting you take an extra ten days that month to bring you up to the 8th (and then of course pay for the extra days). But as others have said, the LL may also need to change his own outgoing mortgage based on your delayed payment, so the more warning they have the better.

Some landlords will use the deposit to fund such a shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I changed jobs a few months ago and get paid on a different day. I rang the landlady and explained it to her and it was fine, she had no issues. The bank weren't as understanding, but I knew they wouldn't be.

Having said that we've always had a good relationship with our landlady and we've been there about 2.5 years, so she 'knows' us by now (insofar as it's possible to know your tenants).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Avns1s wrote: »
    Would you not approach your landlords and explain the situation and take it from there?

This is the best advice you can get on boards.ie

Talk to landlord and say the situation. Of you were newer late and they are happy with you, then I can't see them being very upset about this. It's not like you just dodging rent.

Main thing - talk. Domt leave them with no notice.

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I'll definitely talk to them today, I don#t want to get them in trouble.

@username123: I know the date because one of my landlords told me. I used to pay the money through the Letting Agency always the day I get my wage. One day he visited me and asked if i could pay directly into their account (got a lodgement book from them to have everything at hand) as the Agent was constantly late transferring the funds to them or it just overlapped with the dates.

That was about 5 months ago and I made sure the money was always lodged in time. Preferred to do direct lodgement as I could be sure there would be no delay, we have different banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

As a landlord, not a problem. Just give me notice and pay in advance for the "bridge" dates.

So a tenant wants to move from 1st to 10th... pay 9 days rent on 1st of month, then a full whack on 10th of month. Lease can extend by 9 days or last months payment can be 9 days short. Simples.

Just send a long text to my landlords as I couldn't reach them and of course offered to talk on the phone as well.

Keep your fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you get no response in a couple of days then contact them in writing by registered post and keep a copy for yourself. I dont know the legal status of a text message but Id imagine its a lot easier to say that a text didnt arrive than to say that they didnt get a letter.

Thats only if you really want to cover your ass though. It sounds like you get on with your landlord so it shouldnt need to come to that for a matter like this.

djimi wrote: »
    If you get no response in a couple of days then contact them in writing by registered post and keep a copy for yourself. I dont know the legal status of a text message but Id imagine its a lot easier to say that a text didnt arrive than to say that they didnt get a letter.

Thats only if you really want to cover your ass though. It sounds like you get on with your landlord so it shouldnt need to come to that for a matter like this.

Actually I just got a reply saying not to worry and that we'll work something out.
    They might drop by tonight to talk about everything and that's great. Fortunately they don't live too far away, at least one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pay the difference to bring you to the new date, 7th then pay the normal amount from then. In effect you're changing your rent due date. This should be documented in your lease, the new date etc. If you don't have difference to pay now, then you ask the LL can you pay that back over time.

Hey guys, just in case anyone is interested about the outcome.

Had my LLs over an hour ago and they said they's cover one month so things are straight. I offered to pay an amount extra every month so they get their money back though (even though they didn't ask for it).

Really lucky with those guys, especially since the last tenants pretty much F***** them up.

Thanks for all the advice again.

Advertisement