Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The different Celtic Studies courses out there...

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in the middle of deciding on what to do next.
    I am 31 and have been working in engineering for the last eight and a half years.
    I get on really well in my chosen field but am very much over it at this moment in time and realistically have been for the last few years.

When I was in school, I always had a love of history, languages, literature and music. With the last few years I have found myself being drawn towards the idea of Celtic studies ~ not just focusing on Irish, but Breton, Welsh, Scottish and Cornish as well. I did a couple of Gael Linn Irish courses a few Summers ago and loved them but was put off by the amount of people in there that were only doing it to get Primary teaching rather than out of a love of the language.

So, my very first question really is: how employable is a Celtic studies graduate? I will be capable of supporting myself if I go back full time but my ultimate goal is to be employable at the end of the course so I won't have to be in engineering at the end.

I have just been browsing so far and there are quite a few courses around. Galway looks promising as it seems to offer archaeology as well as the languages aspect.

Has anyone out there any advice or experience on the matter? Have you studies it in UCD/NUIG/TCD/NUIM or abroad? What should I look out for in a course? Where is the best place to study it?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to get the ball rolling if I want to do it in the next year or two...

Thanks,

C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Fea.

Sorry I don't have anything to say that is of any use to you but I sure would be interested myself in hearing if anyone else has anything they can add.

Interesting subject !!!

Advertisement