Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom zyxel problem

• 10-02-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    First off I want to say a HUGE thanks to Mark and Ant from eircom for being absolute legends trying to deal with me. Always friendly, helpful and go out of their way. I am extremely Impressed with eircom social media team and can't say a bad word about dealing with them.

Now having said that: I have my broadband 24 NGB connection just over a week and already had to have a replacement modem. The two modems are the zyxel p660 ones with the new firmware.

My problem is that I get over 17mbps connection when I switch on my router but I've the course Of an hour it gradually goes down to nothing. Engineer came out and he blamed the router. Got a new one it did the same thing. When I restart the modem I get full connection again but the wind down cycle starts over

I have run every malware/spyware/anti virus app I could find and my computer is as clean as its gonna be. Testing the speed on the iPad with the pc switched off also gives me the same result so I reckon I can rule out a pc issue.

I am using speedtest.net for my speed checking and I am literally living just across the street from the exchange. My line is a new connection and tests absolutely fine.

Will getting a third modem from eircom be worth the while or should I just bite the bullet and buy my own? I really don!t want to do this but if it sorts my problem I'll do it.

And if so what router?

Also just to point out that this is still an open issue with eircom and they are still working in it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 crysis1977

just happened to me today on the same as you first modem would,nt connect at all sent me out there new zyxel modem today dropped from 15 down to 3mbs so connect my asus dsln11 modem and worked perfect, there must be faulty modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tommie Kelly

Yea, I mean I should be best case scenario for eircom. New cables, across the road from exchange, engineer says the line tested at 23mbps perfectly.

It has to be the modem doesn't it? My last ISP connected at the same speed constantly ( i had 5mbps and got it) so it can't be something hiding on my pc (it tests the same on iPad with pc off, and I assume iPad doesn't have malware).

The zyxel router just don't seem to be up to the task of NGB,

As example:
    This is my speed after my router being on for over an hour:
    1765392280.png
    This is my speed having just rebooted the router:
    1765412549.png
    And remember this is a 24mb connection and hard-wired, not wireless (with nothing else connected other than the desktop on both occasions.)

And less than 15 minutes since I rebooted:

1765432668.png

Ye the same happened me left it on for nearly three hours and my speed just kept dropping, but now with my own modem it,s perfect no drops on speed so it has to be faulty zyxel modem, but saying that when i was on 8meg zeyxel worked perfect.

• Advertisement

this is mine now.
    1765444636.png

56591081.png

My ping having just rebooted:

56591215.png

I dunno,

Something is wrong, and it doesn't appear to be my end

Just connected zyxel modem
    1766051839.png
    hope it stays like that i like the eircom modem, i,ll leave it on for an hour or two.:)

• Advertisement

Zyxel modem
    56613436.png

1766229829.png
    On for over an hour now and going good hope it stays like this:)

Zyxel starting to go down again.
    http://speedtest.net/result/1766458676.png

Changed back to asus modem.

http://www.speedtest.net]1766486159.png[/URL]
    1766670364.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bg1

Recently connected with Eircom. Experiencing exact same problems. 7 Mbps reduces to 1 after a couple of hours. Tried wifi, wired with and without line filter connections and three different computers with no result. 8 yr old Netgear modem works perfectly but short on range.
    Eircom sent a new ZyXel but it is the same.
    I figure this modem is unfit for purpose and Eircom do not seem to recognise.
    Did they ever test it ?

My zyxel worked perfect with 8meg but when i upgraded to 24 meg it would,nt connect sent me out a different model zyxel and it connects but then drops down after about an hour but when steady works great must not be able for 24meg:(

I bit the bullet and bought a netgear N300,

Everything seems to be fine now, but I'll keep a cloese eye on it for awhile before I'd call it solved :D

Thats good hope it works out for you:)

YUP,
    all good.
    Connected for a few hours now and still full speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Good stuff guys, I've the exact same issue (I'm not on NGB tho, standard broadband with Eircom) - I'll have to look into getting another router!

Cheers for the info

• Advertisement

I would suggest trying to borrow a new router before you buy one.

If the borrowed modem starts doing the same as your own then you know its some sort of settings problem. But If not...

Just buy yourself a good modem :)

Advertisement