Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM in the ULSU Common Room

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Thoughts?

Frankly I think it's the worst thing since the TVs blaring Sky News at us.

I know personally that I go to the common room to relax on a couch between classes and get away from the stress of student life and trying to get a good degree, and all of the associated issues.
    I want to go there to hang out and have a chat with my friends about the latest bit of interesting/relevant news that has come up in the past few days.
    I want to sit up at the breakfast bar to eat lunch and browse the internet, send some important email, or play a quiet game/watch a short video.

If I want to listen to music, I can provide my own, or pay a visit to the jukebox in the adjacent room.

Finally, if I WANT to listen to ULFM, I can stream it of my own accord.

Currently, I am finding it difficult to hold a conversation with friends due to the just-more-invasive-than-background-noise coming from the speakers.

Say what you will about the radio initiative in and of itself, I do like to be given a choice as to whether I listen to it or not.

Thanks for your reading time, and I look forward to your opinions on the matter.

TL;DR
    ULFM played loudly in common room, this annoys me, discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Oh god thought we got rid of the tv blaring out ar us except for the one day it was playing 80s sifi shows that was a good day
    Is it loud as ****? As in headach loud?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

In fairness it's not loud, it was set to such a volume so as it wouldn't go louder than what most people would call background noise. It's quieter than what the ambient chatter would be on a moderate day in there (roughly 45-60 dB SPL) which is FAR from blaring although I'll go in on monday and measure again around lunchtime if you want proof.
    If you're going to be listening to music or watching videos then wouldn't you have headphones on and thus negating your own argument?
    If you really have a problem with it then why don't you ask for it to be turned down in the CO's office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

in b4 lock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

CJKeane wrote: »
    In fairness it's not loud, it was set to such a volume so as it wouldn't go louder than what most people would call background noise. It's quieter than what the ambient chatter would be on a moderate day in there (roughly 45-60 dB SPL) which is FAR from blaring although I'll go in on monday and measure again around lunchtime if you want proof.

CJKeane, please read the first post in this thread.
    tonka_92 wrote: »
    Currently, I am finding it difficult to hold a conversation with friends due to the just-more-invasive-than-background-noise coming from the speakers.

or the shortened version
    tonka_92 wrote: »
    ULFM played loudly in common room, this annoys me, discuss

Have you ever been in room 3 in the SU? You can hear the music from there! No way is that less then background noise.
    If you're going to be listening to music or watching videos then wouldn't you have headphones on and thus negating your own argument?

Did we as students agree to have ULFM streamed to our face? What's next have it in the library?

I don't want to walk around on campus and have ULFM blaring wherever I am. I don't go to the common room to listen to ULFM, apparently now I can't go to the common room to talk either.
    If you really have a problem with it then why don't you ask for it to be turned down in the CO's office?

I don't use the CO's office as a meet up space for my friends. The CO's office is the CO's office and the CO can listen to ULFM on their own free-will, us in the common room however....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

reunion wrote: »

What's next have it in the library?
    ^^^^

OpoQQ.jpg

I'm picking up your sarcasm there (or at least i hope i am) but that's just a ridiculous and dare i say it sid_justice level comment :pac:

the few times i've been up in the common room since the stream started i've only noticed it when i've actively listened for it. with the general chitter chatter of the people in the common room with various laptops playing all manner of videos and songs and the considerably louder noise emanating from the pool room the ulfm feed is the smallest of the noise polluters in the common room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

reunion wrote: »
    I don't use the CO's office as a meet up space for my friends. The CO's office is the CO's office and the CO can listen to ULFM on their own free-will, us in the common room however....

Who suggested you did use the CO's office as a "meet up space"? CJKeane merely said that if you really have a problem with the loudness of the stream, tell the CO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was in there once last week and I found it grating, was hoping for a quiet area to do some assignments but it did start to annoy me. I'd say there would be no harm in making it a little quieter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Cydoniac wrote: »
    was hoping for a quiet area to do some assignments

you're looking for the library mate, not a common room

cambridge wrote: »
    you're looking for the library mate, not a common room
    When I say quiet I mean relatively so, sometimes it's a bit nicer to be in a more informal environment between classes. Normally the common room is chilled and you can bring in some food without any worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Used the common room a fair bit in first year, but gone off it for some reason, only in it rarely these days.

• Advertisement

Average decibel reading (C-weighted) of the common room at lunchtime without ULFM streaming = 75 dBC
    Average decibel reading with ULFM streaming = 75 dBC

Regardless of decibel rating, people chatting is a much less noticeable than chart tunes. Not saying it's bad, but I think a slight decrease could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It was turned down today.

Average decibel reading (C-weighted) of the common room at lunchtime without ULFM streaming = 75 dBC
    Average decibel reading with ULFM streaming = 75

You have failed to account for varibles
    What is the diffrence in the decibel after 5 or when there is less student in the room. How did you get the readings?
    Also is it a bit lagie internet in the SU can get bad at lunchtime?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

anyone listening into ulfm now, they are doing a great show with censored with sean and grainne. apparently they have a real relationship doctor, dr love on. giving some really good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I can't say I noticed it during the day but after 5 when there's only a handful of people in there, you'd be lucky to hear yourself. Maybe I just popped in at a bad time but the sound was distorting through the speakers because of the volume. It seemed unusually loud and definitely something I'd have noticed even during the day so maybe it was a problem from the radio side, rather than the volume of the common room speakers. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Nockz wrote: »
    I can't say I noticed it during the day but after 5 when there's only a handful of people in there, you'd be lucky to hear yourself. Maybe I just popped in at a bad time but the sound was distorting through the speakers because of the volume. It seemed unusually loud and definitely something I'd have noticed even during the day so maybe it was a problem from the radio side, rather than the volume of the common room speakers. I dunno.

That could just as easily be it. The times that I was listening to ULFM myself, it sounded really distorted, and I was listening through headphones on a laptop.

Was in there two seconds ago, and could barely notice it, to be honest.

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    That could just as easily be it. The times that I was listening to ULFM myself, it sounded really distorted, and I was listening through headphones on a laptop.

Was in there two seconds ago, and could barely notice it, to be honest.

There were some problems with the audio levels last night. The music sounded as if there was no bass whatsoever in it, and the person in studio did have the fader up right... so maybe this is a knock on effect of that with over-compensation or something?

Jester252 wrote: »
    What is the diffrence in the decibel after 5 or when there is less student in the room. How did you get the readings?

I didn't fail to account for any variables really. I went up at 1pm yesterday and used a decibel meter to get the readings with the stream both on and off and reported those readings. I'll go up again today after 5 and take another set of readings and will report on them as well.

I didn't fail to account for any variables really. I went up at 1pm yesterday and used a decibel meter to get the readings with the stream both on and off and reported those readings. I'll go up again today after 5 and take another set of readings and will report on them as well.
    Yes you did. you are now taken other reading after you reported your findings and tbh it is not peer reviewed research so it would hold up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

It was fine in there around 5 today. Definitely better than the last time I was there. Far, far quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I was in there today and I didn't even notice that ULFM was playing.

Yes you did. you are now taken other reading after you reported your findings and tbh it is not peer reviewed research so it would hold up now

I merely stated a reading at a certain time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I've an interest/work in Radio.

Some observations of ULFM.

The sound quality is very good on my PC.

Good patter and knowledgeable presenting from the presenter.

But, dear god, the music is dreadful. Okay, I was listening at this time of night so maybe it's some theme show. But the word torture comes to mind.

Also, does the presenter know there's a live stream. Those jog bottoms - not a good idea. :p

Pedantically yours

smcgiff wrote: »
    But, dear god, the music is dreadful. Okay, I was listening at this time of night so maybe it's some theme show. But the word torture comes to mind.

All the shows after about 7pm are themed. Monday and Wednesday you've got Alternative/Indie and then Rock. Tuesday and Wednesday has more of Dance/Techno vibe given that these are nights where most people would be getting ready to go out.
    Also, does the presenter know there's a live stream. Those jog bottoms - not a good idea. :p

Pedantically yours

In our defence, we're on radio for a reason! :pac: :pac:
    And the webcams have only gone live since yesterday, so it'll take some adjustment to get used to the possibility of being watched. :pac;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And the webcams have only gone live since yesterday, so it'll take some adjustment to get used to the possibility of being watched. :pac;
    Well actually it's been streaming for over a week if anyone knew the link :D

Just a quick question was ULFM streaming today between 12-3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

24x7!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Was in the SU about 15 mins ago and couldn't hear it.

• Advertisement

24x7!
    Didn't hear anything don't know what the op is on about. How is it played into the common room? Streamed from the internet or from the studio?

Advertisement