Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No college for me??????

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm doing my L.C. this year and am getting really worried. I try to study but find it so boring and only do about an hour a day when I know I can do more. Don't do after school study because of the price and hate to stay back after school. I didn't to well in my xmas exams.
    My Xmas Results:
    B2 in Music HL
    C2 in History OL
    E in Maths OL
    E in Biology HL
    B1 in Irish HL
    C1 in French OL
    C2 in English OL
    I'm staying at these levels but considering changing to HL with Histroy even though I hate it, I would be better off getting at least a D3 in HL than a C in OL and changing to OL with Biology. Probs need it for the points. Hoping to study Music when I finish. Music varies from 380 to 450 so I'm aiming for about 400 or more points. With my subject levels can someone recomment what grades i would need to get these points and how I can do better in my VERY weak subjects (Maths, Biology, History)? and how to study better and get history essays into my head. :confused:

Have my mid-term now to study and then mocks straight after it. Really gettig worried at this stage that I woint get the points and definately don't want to repeat! Any advice would be great. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=75

This is a points calculator, im sure your guidance councillor has shown you something similar to this.. put in the grades you think you can get in each subject and see what points you get.. from that you can figure out where you need to work harder if you are to achieve the points you need.

I have a friend who's doing a PLC in music. Yeah its an extra year, but its a year in college which is way better than school :p So that's always an option if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Cawcheen wrote: »
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=75

This is a points calculator, im sure your guidance councillor has shown you something similar to this.. put in the grades you think you can get in each subject and see what points you get.. from that you can figure out where you need to work harder if you are to achieve the points you need.

I have a friend who's doing a PLC in music. Yeah its an extra year, but its a year in college which is way better than school :p So that's always an option if all else fails.

Whats the name of the college of the PLC course???

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Whats the name of the college of the PLC course???

I think he's doing music technology which is this http://www.gti.ie/courses/course/detail/course/gti-43

But maybe you'd be more interested in this http://www.galwaycc.ie/gcc_plc/course.php?id=7&cat_id=2

They're both in Galway. Im sure there are more like it across the country. If you want to find more like this then Qualifax again is a great way to them out. Just type in Music and define it to PLC courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

heres what you need to do. Sit down every evening with a book or two, and tell yourself you're going to know something by the end of the sitting. Dont even think about time. Just for example, go to your room with a cup of tea and tell yourself your not going until you know the digestive sysyem inside and out. And i mean perfectly, dont do it half arsed. you want something solid achieved after the work.

It might take you 20 mins, might take 2 hours, but once you set goals, and not just time limits, youl be suprised at how much you can get done. I've really became a fan lately of just abandoning arbitrary things like time when it comes to studying. Try go to your room ,and dont say ''2 hours''. Instead, say ''2 chapters''. Its alot ,more productive imo

edit:theres no reason to do ordinary level anything, unless you simply aren willing to put the work in. I mean, theres no reason you cant get an a or b in subjects like biology, unless you just dont want it. I think people overthink grades and study too much. If theres something you dont know, go learn it. Thats all there is to it. might sound intimidating looking at the contents of your biology book and thinking ''i dont know anything'', but if you sit down every evening and do half a chapter, youl piss through it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Christmas results may not be a perfect indication of where you are in a subject, if they're shorter than the actual exam they won't be able to fit everything in so a higher percentage of the exam will go for each question, meaning that if a couple of questions don't suit you you're losing more marks than you would for them in the actual LC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

You should definitely be able to improve the grade in maths. Are you doing your homework? How do you normally study maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Don't worry if you feel you can't get 400+... Do your best and keep your options open, have you considered other routes to your favoured career/course choice. Work as hard as possible but don't beat yourself up over it if you think you're no doing enough.. Make sure not to pigeon-hole yourself and put down level 6 and 7 courses on the CAO as well (and PLCs)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

1. Get yourself somewhere quiet to study. Put everything you need in that study space- dictionary, flashcards, etc. No distractions.
    2. Get yourself a 2012 year planner, stick it up in your study space and you can look at it to see the time you've left. It'll either motivate you or stress you. Depends on the type of person you are.
    3. Invest in good revision books. You said you're weak in Biology: I recommend Essentials Unfolded- Biology, Celtic Press. History: Less Stress More Success is very user friendly. Maths>> just try and work through it using the exam papers and get your teacher to help you. That's what they're paid for.

At the end of the day do you want to be stuck at home doing nothing next year or worse, repeating? Or do you want to be studying music? That should be motivation enough. Just think postively. Don't fall at the last hurdle.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

My Xmas Results:
    B2 in Music HL - 80
    C2 in History OL - 25
    E in Maths OL - 0
    E in Biology HL - 0
    B1 in Irish HL - 85
    C1 in French OL - 30
    C2 in English OL - 25

I think you will need to pick a few more HL subject as others advise,as you are being marked out of a maximum of 480 here at the moment. And your current score is 220. Realistically even if you get top marks in 3 Ordinary level subjects, you will still be looking to get a B2 in each of the higher level subjects.

Advertisement