Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The butchering of foreign words

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

val en theee a that's my best attempt

That's more of it. Why use the Spanish pronunciation for "c" but the English for "v" (which is pronounced like our "b")?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

phasers wrote: »
    Also nobody proniunces the j in fajitas. Nobody.
    Oh I beg to differ.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    firefly08 wrote: »
    Indeed there is. The French don't pronounce the letter "d" the same way we do in English. It's closer to how we would pronounce "th" but in there is no precise phonetic equivalent I can use to explain it.

That's quite the load of crap. I speak French and I rarely hear anyone mispronouncing deja-vu, or baguette, for that matter. Unless you're referring to really subtle differences in accent, but it would be a bit ridiculous to expect every joe soap to have a wonderful french/hungarian/zulu accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not annoying
    Given the way we (and indeed the English themselves) butcher the English language, are you surprised ?

That's quite the load of crap. I speak French and I rarely hear anyone mispronouncing deja-vu, or baguette, for that matter. Unless you're referring to really subtle differences in accent, but it would be a bit ridiculous to expect every joe soap to have a wonderful french/hungarian/zulu accent.

Yes I am, and yes it would.

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    OK. I do think your examples are a bit different from the OP though, where theres blatant mispronunciation going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Once in a restaurant, the waitress corrected my pronunciation of 'Pinot grigio'.

She didn't get a massive tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

RonMexico wrote: »
    I remember one time over in the states I mispronounced something on the menu at Taco Bell and the Mexican guy working there asked me where I was from. When I said Ireland he replied - "You speak good American."

Then he gave me free fries with my order :pac:

You got fries at a Taco Bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Not annoying
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Here's one OP though I don't know how I'd type it

Valencia or Barcelona

Some commentators realy emphasize the C.
    Ah you've heard but I don't know how to put it across from my keyboard

val en theee a that's my best attempt

So what am I supposed to do?

Mike, the C in Castillian Spanish is pronounced almost like th when followed by an E or I as far as I know. The Z is also pronounced like a th in mainland Spain. So it cecomes bar-the(soft e)-lona and bal-en-thi-a.

You'll notice that in Atletico Madrid the c is pronounced as English speakers would be familiar with.

In Latin America the C and Z are pronounced without the th effects.

So cerveza, the Spanish for beer, is pronounced like ther-be-tha in Spain whereas in Argentina it would be pronounced ser-be-za.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not annoying
    I have actually heard Pizza pronounced as Pizz-a (in Dublin) :D

A very common mispronunciation in Ireland is Thailand which usually comes out as 'Thigh-land' for some obscure reason, the land of Thighs? Thai food also ends up as THigh food, THigh people, THigh holidays, its always Thailand with a hard TH in Ireland, and yet somehow, the rest of the world know that the H is silent.

RenaulT :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    I've love a burger from the eye-talian chipper down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Morricone wrote: »
    So cerveza, the Spanish for beer, is pronounced like ther-be-tha in Spain whereas in Argentina it would be pronounced ser-be-za.

As long as it's not San Miguel :eek: call it what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I had my hosts in France laughing constantly at my Irish accent when I spoke French, apparently I sounded like "a man who had never left his farm". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    Dont think our attempts at foreign words are any worse than other nationalities pronunciations of english, ze germans vith zer v's & w's mixed up, the italians witha the waya they talka lika this, and the french who make every word sound smug and pompous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not annoying
    Always fun to listen to an English person trying to pronounce stuff like Tallaght

Actually it's laughable that so many English people don't have syllabant 'S' or Frictive 'F'. Or have problems with 'H'.

And they think 'R' is 'are' when it should obviously be 'or'

It's good that Hiberno English has more sounds , makes it far easier for us to pronounce foreign words than it is for the denizens of London to pronounce their own words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

grassy-ass for the thread

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    I can make a go for most Spanish, French and Italian words, like if I read something and then say it

German can be tough

Welsh, not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It's even worse when foreigners butcher their own words....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Lukasz is a really common name among our polish friends, I seem to have worked with a ton of them over the last few years. Their 'L' is pronounced like a 'W' which isn't exactly tricky. It really strikes me as the height of rudeness that allday everyday colleagues can't be bothered to pronounce name correctly and revert back to Lukash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

can I have shank of Lucasz pls

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not annoying
    http://bible.cc/judges/12-6.htm
    they said, "All right, say 'Shibboleth.'" If he said, "Sibboleth," because he could not pronounce the word correctly, they seized him and killed him at the fords of the Jordan. Forty-two thousand Ephraimites were killed at that time.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jalapeño is another one, I've heard it pronounced wrongly with a hard J and with the ñ mispronounced. It should be pronounced as if there is a y behind the n, i.e Jalapenyo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Where's My Lliga.?

Not annoying
    Katgurl wrote: »
    Lukasz is a really common name among our polish friends, I seem to have worked with a ton of them over the last few years. Their 'L' is pronounced like a 'W' which isn't exactly tricky. It really strikes me as the height of rudeness that allday everyday colleagues can't be bothered to pronounce name correctly and revert back to Lukash

Strictly speaking, that letter isn't an "L" at the start - it's a "Ł"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Couldn't really give a shit about people pronouncing foreign words incorrectly, but one thing does get to me. Why the fuck do Americans insist on pronouncing the name Joseph Goebbels as "Gurbels" :confused:. Hearing who should be well educated military historians regularly doing this makes me cringe.

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    So am I going on holidays to Rome or to Roma?

I'll upset the OP if I give the wrong answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

NI;dr

When in doubt just shout Kurwa. Works every time...

Not annoying

Thats interesting, because I find the 'or' sound to be the exception to the rule here in Ireland, Paul Reynolds the RTE (OrTE) Crime corerespondent is the perfect example of somebody who uses the exaggerated 'or' sound, I would say R=are is the norm in Ireland, & the english speaking world.
    It's good that Hiberno English has more sounds, makes it far easier for us to pronounce foreign words than it is for the denizens of London to pronounce their own words

London has its own fair share of odd pronunciations/ grammatical errors, that's for sure.

Its becoz we isnt fick like wot you know what I mean like, innit :)) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Always fun to listen to an English person trying to pronounce stuff like Tallaght [..........]
    Down here, the only people who pronounce the letter "R" as "or" are those on their way to "Crosser" for an afternoon's sailing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

cant buthcher a language some people have this view that in countries like france their all mad posh and stuff, go to the ghettos in paris and speak with 'good' french, you be getting carried out of the place in an ambulance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

What about names? In sport and culture its common to find instances of foreign names

Johnny Giles - "Terry Henry was excellent today"

Horse Racing has loads of French names and the Brits always have trouble pronouncing the French and especially the Irish names. They pronounce "Tine Anseo" as "Tyne Anzio"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    It really grinds my gears when I hear words from different languages being mispronounced and butchered by speakers of the English language. Its annoying to hear words being pronounced completely incorrectly especially after being corrected.

Does it annoy you as much as it annoys me?

No...I just smile at the uneducated 'oikes' in a smug manner knowing that my linguistic skills are clearly superior to there's :rolleyes:

Sarcasm, from the Greek word σαρκασμός (sarkasmos)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or maybe the completely different vowel at the end that makes it another word entirely and thus incomprehensible to a French speaker?

Not annoying
    Nulty wrote: »
    Horse Racing has loads of French names and the Brits always have trouble pronouncing the French and especially the Irish names. They pronounce "Tine Anseo" as "Tyne Anzio"

Or what about Irish people butchering the French word (car manufacturer) Peugeot :))

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    mongdesade wrote: »
    No...I just smile at the uneducated 'oikes' in a smug manner knowing that my linguistic skills are clearly superior to there's :rolleyes:
    Eeee you'll be pounced on for that M.

Meh, who gives a fcuk. I'd put good money those who do give a fcuk to the point where it makes their hair itch say Paris and not Paree, Venice instead of Venitzia, Munich instead of Muunchin and so forth(Madrid can be an odd one, the locals seem to drop the d. Madri, but non locals don't). Let's face it you would sound like a nuclear powered twat if you did go around enunciating every non English word like that. If you did it with every single foreign loan word in the English(or any other) language you'd probably sound like Jeff Chaucer after he got at the ergot. Or a twat. I'll stick with the latter as a better label.

However I will pronounce the T in Moet and deliberately so. Mainly because the majority that don't are being pseuds and oh yes, twats. Meh I prefer Bollie anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

It really grinds my gears when I hear words from different languages being mispronounced and butchered by speakers of the English language. Its annoying to hear words being pronounced completely incorrectly especially after being corrected.

Bruschetta is one, it should be pronounced brus-ketta as the ch in Italian is pronounced as a k.

Fajitas is another with the hard J being pronounced when it should be soft. Tortilla with the double l pronounced as it is in English when as a Spanish word it should be pronounced Tort-iya.

Jalapeño is another one, I've heard it pronounced wrongly with a hard J and with the ñ mispronounced. It should be pronounced as if there is a y behind the n, i.e Jalapenyo.

I've seen Habanero written with an ñ for whatever unfathomable reason I don't know.

Have the good folk of After Hours got any more to add to the list?

Mittens has been missing for 45 hours thus far. For the first 24 I assumed that she would return as 4 or 5 hour periods away would not be uncommon. As the hours have ticked by I've become progressively worrieder and worrieder.

Keep it up and Mitten's get's it........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Not annoying
    OP, how do you pronounce words such as baguette, deja vu, entrepreneur etc.?

Spolier: if you pronounce them "correctly" you sound like an idiot.
    Quite the opposite.
    Indeed there is. The French don't pronounce the letter "d" the same way we do in English. It's closer to how we would pronounce "th" but in there is no precise phonetic equivalent I can use to explain it.

WTF????? Examples please, that is pure BS.

Not annoying
    Nulty wrote: »
    What about names? In sport and culture its common to find instances of foreign names

Johnny Giles - "Terry Henry was excellent today"

Sky are strangly selectively horrendous for this.

Hoothey Marria Olathahbel = no bother
    But give them Ken Doherty, Donnacha O'Callaghan or Tomás O'Leary and they inexplicably refuse point-blank to even make an effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    It's even worse when foreigners butcher their own words....

could never understand when i watched that show growing up why the policeman (an undercover british spy) spoke like that. Finally copped years later that, being set in France, everyone was supposed to be speaking in French to one another, hence the brit mispronouncing everything.

Looking back, that show is more clever than I gave it credit for

Not annoying
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    So am I going on holidays to Rome or to Roma?

I'll upset the OP if I give the wrong answer
    Unless you get a direct flight you'll probably have to go Dublino - Londra - Roma

Probably best to avoid Köln too.

But you have to laugh at the billion plus Chinese that don't know that their capital city is actually called Peking

And don't get me started on those people from Amsterdam, trying to tell me they weren't in Holland and they don't call themselves Dutch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »

But give them Ken Doherty, Donnacha O'Callaghan or Tomás O'Leary and they inexplicably refuse point-blank to even make an effort.
    A lot of that can be explained by the observation that UK english speakers don't have a that soft C/G(I think?) that Irish english/irish speakers have. They don't know how to pronounce it without really thinking about it. Kinda the way Germans have trouble with W, because it's not used the same way in their language. Or Spaniards who can have difficulty with I and E. IE(no pun:)) they'll tend to pronounce Ship as Sheep and can't discern the difference without practice. Ken Doherty as a name a good example LB. They'll pronounce the O as... well O. So will the Americans. Shannen DOerty. Or it'll end up like that footballist Tommy Docherty. Probably because originally the family used close to the original Irish spelling when writing the name, Dhochartaigh. No soft c/g so the locals made it a hard C.

TBH I wouldn't take exception to stuff like this. Like I say it can be hard to get such names right if they're not native to your ear, even with effort. I even found that in the past with non Irish girlfriends. With some of their family's names even with effort on my part and trying to impress I often got it arseways. :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Not annoying
    ceegee wrote: »
    Looking back, that show is more clever than I gave it credit for
    That only works if you give it zero credit.

You should watch the Phil Silvers Show sometime,
    or Monty Python
    or QI
    or Duck Soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The only thing that annoys me sometimes is when people who should know their subject like sports reporters come up with weird versions of foreign names. OK, I wouldn't expect everyone to use the sibilant S sound in Portougese or the lisped Z sound in Spanish but I would expect them to pronounce the Jose in Mourinho not like the Spanish Hose A. Roberto Martinez usually gets the stress on the A instead of the Teenez sound which is correct. Even worse is Juan Martin del Potro who I have heard a few times given a mixture of Spanish and French pronunciations Juan Martaa. If you know it is a Spanish name and you know it is not Jew Ann then you should know it is Marteen.

Anyway like I say that is directed at people who should know better and I don't overly worry about foreign pronunciations otherwise. And yes I do know there should be accents on some letters in this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I like mistakes.

I used to go mental, though, a few years ago when I was learning Italian and I heard people buying and selling "paninis". Still, I never went into O'Brien's and asked for a 'panino' as I'm sure they'd've been scratching their heads.

The day I saw a sign selling "panini's" was the day I got over it.

I remember living in Italy and trying to buy a hamburger. They hadn't a clue what I was on about. You have to say 'amBURger or you go hungry. How dare they mispronounce our words (The Germans' words?)

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    Or maybe the completely different vowel at the end that makes it another word entirely and thus incomprehensible to a French speaker?

? Sorry, you've lost me.

Not annoying
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »

A lot of that can be explained by the observation that UK english speakers don't have a that soft C/G(I think?) that Irish english/irish speakers have. They don't know how to pronounce it without really thinking about it. Kinda the way Germans have trouble with W, because it's not used the same way in their language. Or Spaniards who can have difficulty with I and E. IE(no pun:)) they'll tend to pronounce Ship as Sheep and can't discern the difference without practice. Ken Doherty as a name a good example LB. They'll pronounce the O as... well O. So will the Americans. Shannen DOerty. Or it'll end up like that footballist Tommy Docherty. Probably because originally the family used close to the original Irish spelling when writing the name, Dhochartaigh. No soft c/g so the locals made it a hard C.

TBH I wouldn't take exception to stuff like this. Like I say it can be hard to get such names right if they're not native to your ear, even with effort. I even found that in the past with non Irish girlfriends. With some of their family's names even with effort on my part and trying to impress I often got it arseways. :o:)

I wouldn't be offended if they didn't say Docker-T while getting the Spaniard's name spot-on......that's what makes it disrespectful, because neither are native but they make the effort for all of the other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Atari Jaguar, etc.
    Id say the Op is a really cool guy with lots of friends.
    Maybe you should translate jalepeno , or tortilla to English for us. If we had English words for these things we wouldnt need to attempt a foreign language.
    "In Italy the ch is pronounced like a k"
    The last time I checked this was Ireland and here we pronounce our ch like a ch , if they want it to sound like a k here call it brusketta. Jog back to Italy and peddle your linguistics there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Have the good folk of After Hours got any more to add to the list?

I wonder how you would pronounce "sauna"? Saw- nah, most likely, but I pronounce it "sow-nah", because I am a fluent Finnish speaker. In Sweden I would pronounce it "bas-tyou".:)

What a pity things like that annoy you. It doesn't annoy me at all, because the pronunciation of loan words often changes when they are transposed into a new language and phonetic system.:D

I suppose you've heard the story about the English guy that scores a French girl and takes her up to his room. He looks her passionately in the eyes and says: "Je t'adore!" To which she replies, "Shut the fcuking door yourself, you fcuking lazy English cnut!":):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

LordSutch wrote: »
    Or what about Irish people butchering the French word (car manufacturer) Peugeot :))

Do you mean Pewzho and Perzho? I don't know which is right, or even if either are right. Any one know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement