Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big loss in SEO when moved from wordpress.com to self hoasted.

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:50pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I put together a quick site using wordpress.com a while back. I got quote into it and so wanted to make something proper of it, so decided to get the site of wordpress.com and onto a proper install of wordpress on my server.

When I had done this, and installed SEO plugins etc - I paid $12 for wordpress.com to do a 301 redirect to the new domain. All was fine but over the next while the seo kinda fell through the floor. I even went and got a few links to the new site etc - but instead of being at the very top or top half of google 1st page, my results have now sunk way lower.

Any idea why this would be or how I can build it back up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Baidin

Was it on the wordpress.com domain or had you bought a separate domain? Have you got a reliable server, speed, consistent up-time etc. From what I know there is no Google Analytics on wordpress.com, so what are you basing your 'loss in SEO' on - is it rankings? Might be short-term.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

At first I just set up a free blog on wordpress.com - so the url was carrera3.wordpress.com later when I had built the site, I bought the domain and installed wordpress on hostgator, then backed up and restored the site from wordpress.com onto the new proper install. I installed Yoast SEO and filled in all the keywords on the pages etc - expecting search engine results to increase, but they fell considerably. I was using the jetpack stats on wordpress.

It's a very simple site and the keywords are very straight forward, realistically I should be near/at the top in the google for several results like I was before.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Baidin

The domain strength of wordpress.com probably had you 'artificially' high. I've had the same thing happen in the past. It's the same with blogger.com.

Might take time to get rankings back. You'll need links, but don't get aggressive if you don't plan to stay aggressive.

One thing I would say is not to have entire blog posts display on the homepage. Have an excerpt and a 'read more' click thru to the page the post is located. Looks tidier for a start and it's hard for Google to determine the relevance of pages/blog posts if the same content is appearing in full in more than one place.

I'd also change the homepage title to explain more about what the site is about. Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0 Community or blog or something.

An XML Sitemap is a good idea too. Try this for wordpress:
    wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-sitemap-generator/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

SEO is meaningless

What actual impact / difference was there in traffic?

Advertisement