Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat won't poo in litter box.

• 11-02-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

So, as the title suggests, my cat won't poo in his litter box. He pees in there, but poos all over the floor near the box.

So far to try and combat this I have tried to toilet train him the same way you would a dog by taking him into the litter at regular intervals to ensure he went in the box. This worked until he was left to do it on his own when he went on the floor again.

I tried having 2 litter boxes incase he just didnt want to pee and poo in the same box. This idea was a bust!

I moved the litterbox to see if a new area would solve the problem. It didn't. I changed the litter type for the same reason and still nothing.

I covered the bathroom floor (where his litter tray is) with newspaper and then tried to reduce the area so he would get used to not going on the floor, but as soon as the bit of paper was lifted he went on the bare patch.

I'm really at my wits end about what to do. I'm tired of coming home and having to clean up every time. Oscar is a house cat and we live in an apartment so letting him outside is not an option.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Is he an only cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Has he ever pooed in the litter box without 'assistance' (i.e. bringing him to the box)?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Try placing the box where he does his business then gradually move It to where you want it once he is regularly using it.

Is he always peeing in the one spot? As cats tend to do inside. As it could be residual smell that tells him that is his toilet. Cat pee is very hard to get rid of especially Tom cats.
    Urine off is a good product for cleaning the spot

One thing I tried myself was when the cat pooped I'd scoop the poo into his litter box - he started to use the box though it took a fresh poop put in there after every cleaning to get him to keep it up but he got the message eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

He used to poo in the litter box when we got him at first, he is an only cat but we have a dog too.

I'll give putting the poo in the box a go.

He always pees in the box, that's never really a problem! If I move the litter box from that place but still leave it in the bathroom he will go in the usual spot more than he would go in the relocated box. He doesn't poo in the same spot, he has literally gone all over the floor at this stage.

Thanks for the suggestion guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Personally if one of mine starts to either poo or wee outside the box i bring them for a vet check.
    He might have a wee tummy issue that is staying with him, he might not agree with his food.
    He might be in an alpha match with the dog.

I would place a few trays around and as has been suggested put the poo back into the tray. Dont use newspaper anywhere as i find it only encourages.

If he has been seen by a vet and is good health, no tummy infection etc, I would see about confining him to a crate or a small room. Try and retrain him this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

How big is your tray? Is it an open tray or covered over one? I found there was more room for error with the open ones i.e. they just had bad aim and when squatting they dont really realise they're not on target :D With the covered ones, theres only a 1:4 chance only (the entrance) that he'll miss.

Advertisement