Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell Puppy Training

• 11-02-2012 1:25am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I was hoping someone could put me in the direction of a good book or online guide with tips for Jack Russell puppies.

My cousin has just got one, and it was a bit of a hasty decision. I just want to make sure he gets her started off in a good routine to save problems in the long run! The family has had dogs and cats before, but this dog is "his". He is delighted with her and wants to learn as much as he can.

He knows the very basics about toilet training, but I think it would be good for him to have a read on some more information.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

The perfect puppy by gwen bailey

or www.dogstardaily.com

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RSPCA-New-Complete-Training-Manual/dp/0751338672 something along the lines of this book , would come in handy.. Jack Russells are great little dogs . super intelligent and very quick to learn . I have 2 and would get another no problem if I had more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's really hard to know what you are getting with breed specific books until they actually arrive, some times the best sellers contain the least information. My tip is to read the low rated reviews on Amazon, make sure it's not an American author and ask for recommendations on breed specific forums. Although that's a lot of effort to put into finding a book for someone else :D.

I have a problem with dog training books in that the information comes from one perspective (I can say that, I have a big pile of em) and if that method doesn't work with a particular dog it can leave the owner a bit stumped. I find it far better to learn about the characteristics of the breed and base training around that and use the tinterwebs to fill in the gaps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll pass it on.

He said she's been very good so far and in his own words "doing what she's supposed to do" when let outside. He is just so thrilled with her :)

Advertisement