Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght Hospital!!! Argh

• 11-02-2012 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Was in a car crash and had a thumping headache and sore neck and back so went up to Tallaght A&E.

That was at 19:20, 5 and a half hours ago.

Id hate to see what this place is like when it's busy. You get no info and are just told to sit there and wait.

The shop closed at 9 and the only thing in the machines are chocolate or crisps and they wonder why people eat crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You should have told them you're a guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They see to people on a basis of how urgent their needs are, not on a first come first serve basis.

If you had time to worry about the quality of the food in the vending machines, you couldn't have been all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

well, you're obviously not dying so! so thats a plus!

healthcare system is a joke but don't take it out on the staff! they're just as frustrated as you no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Amateur.

Go to the hospital when it's quiet. 1am on a week night is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is the place full of drunks?

Genuinely asking here, I've heard of this clogging up the system at weekends and now you can confirm it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

They see to people on a basis of how urgent their needs are, not on a first come first serve basis.

If you had time to worry about the quality of the food in the vending machines, you couldn't have been all that bad.

Well after 5 and a half hours of sitting looking at them that tends to happen.

I know it's on a priority basis but I obviously made the mistake of not over exaggerating what is wrong with me, there's people being called ahead of me who left after they weren't seen within half an hour so I can't see how there illness was so bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is the place full of drunks?

Yes. And that's just the nurses.

No there's only three of us in here but nobody has been called in for about 80 minutes

I appreciate the staff I just can't see how for a Friday night when the place is dead when you would think its going to be mental busy and loads of staff working how is it taking so long

No I'm not dying thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Goodnight sweet prince.

Sherry? Ah...don't mind if I dooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're obviously at deaths door if you're on the net and looking for an open cafe.

Maybe the staff are busy with unimportant stuff like people will real illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well after 5 and a half hours of sitting looking at them that tends to happen.

I know it's on a priority basis but I obviously made the mistake of not over exaggerating what is wrong with me, there's people being called ahead of me who left after they weren't seen within half an hour so I can't see how there illness was so bad

Its not solely based on prioirty due to urgency either though, I remember I got sent to the hospital by my gp to get an infection lanced had to go to Tallaght emregency room but I was in and out within half an hour got some seriously nasty looks of the people in the waiting room when my name was called :o.

They base it on urgency and also on if they know what your condition is and how quick they can deal with your problem. Since they dont think you is serious or know exactly what to do with you im afraid your in for a long night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Larianne wrote: »

healthcare system is a joke but don't take it out on the staff! they're just as frustrated as you no doubt.

I used to think that, however my brother recently had an experience and a half that has changed my mind. Inefficiency and absolutely oblivious to the wishes/needs of the patient, and the same on 3 follow up visits.

stovelid wrote: »
    You're obviously at deaths door if you're on the net and looking for an open cafe.

Maybe the staff are busy with unimportant stuff like people will real illnesses.

I must humbly apologise for being thirsty and wanting to get a drink from the hospital shop

I didn't realise you had to be on deaths door in order to go to hospital

And of course I clearly am not injured in any way whatsoever by the fact I can use my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Its funny.
    A chap was just making a thread talking about how the waiting time in hospitals get on your nerves and annoy. We've all experienced the same.

But of course, in true boards.ie style, you get smart arse replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Go home and see your GP in the morning?
    Plenty are open Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Tallaght

There's your problem!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Go home and see your GP in the morning?
    Plenty are open Saturday morning

After paying 100 quid!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Urgh.. I tore up the psychiatric wing one time looking for a way out after being stitched up by the folks :/ was a game I had to see. Real one flew over the cuckoos nest shìt but sure if yer not fighting to get out of a madhouse like that, there must be something wrong with you..

Can anyone explain how there is only one doctor working in A and E on a Friday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Can anyone explain how there is only one doctor working in A and E on a Friday night

they saw your face and walked out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

stovelid wrote: »

In fairness, there could be something wrong with him after a car crash. He might have concussion for instance - best to get it checked out by the professionals in the hospital, seeing as that's what they're paid to do.

It is called accident and emergency after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

They base it on urgency and also on if they know what your condition is and how quick they can deal with your problem.

The latter is irrelevant; it is based on urgency/seriousness alone.

It is called the Emergency Department; and the specialty is called Emergency Medicine. The change was partly motivated by an urge to discourage those attending for relatively minor issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

How'd you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The Irish health system is based on how much dosh you have in order to be seen quickly(assuming you're not dying). If the waiting is a real problem, you should have went to a private clinic and forked out 80quid, in and out in 30minutes.

gurramok wrote: »
    The Irish health system is based on how much dosh you have in order to be seen quickly(assuming you're not dying).

In fairness, Emergency Departments are the one part of the system against whom that criticism cannot be fairly levelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

drkpower wrote: »
    In fairness, Emergency Departments are the one part of the system against whom that criticism cannot be fairly levelled.

The poster was in a car crash and has headaches, that is potentially serious. If I was in his shoes, instead of waiting 5 and half hours to be seen and the injury getting worse, i'd head to a private clinic and pay to be seen quickly. I'd have no problem forking over 80quid for peace of mind.

The poster was in a car crash and has headaches, that is potentially serious. If I was in his shoes, instead of waiting 5 and half hours to be seen and the injury getting worse, i'd head to a private clinic and pay to be seen quickly. I'd have no problem forking over 80quid for peace of mind.

Good for you.

But that does not change the fact that public hospital Emergency Departments are the one part of the system where money makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No there's only three of us in here but nobody has been called in for about 80 minutes

I appreciate the staff I just can't see how for a Friday night when the place is dead when you would think its going to be mental busy and loads of staff working how is it taking so long

No I'm not dying thank god

How did you know there was nothing going on in the trauma room. Dont know the layout out of Tallaght A&E, but in most of them emergancies brought in by ambulance are not wheeled through the general waiting room.

• Advertisement

The Irish health system is based on how much dosh you have in order to be seen quickly(assuming you're not dying). If the waiting is a real problem, you should have went to a private clinic and forked out 80quid, in and out in 30minutes.

In the outptaients clinic yes, or any other none emergancy case. But you go to an A&E and you are triaged, if there is someone in a worst state than you, they are seen first, private patient or not.

Many of these private clinics dont have an A&E, even if they did, I would assume even them would have a triage system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I've been waiting 6 hours in James' before, I didn't notice the time going by I was in a lot of pain and not just because I was stuck watching tv3 day time tv all day.
    I don't mind waiting 4-6 (8 is pushing it) unless the time waiting would affect my recovery, I would dread the idea of being waiting for anything more than 8 hours.

I've been spoiled though I was in a minor car accident so I had to go into A&E just to be checked, I was in Enniskellen so it was free and only took at 1 and a half to be in and out.

Even better than that when my foot had a puncture wound and I thought it was swelling up again I went into A&E in Mullingar about 10am, I got checked out, cleaned up, re- bandaged in and out in 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I would rather die than go to A&E again. Was in there in Tallaght before Christmas and was waiting from 3pm till after midnight. Somebody I know was in a few days after and was seen to straight away because she knew one of the nurses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

One comment I'll make: I love the amateur hour doctors here on boards, I've seen them in relation to a few hospital threads now.

"Uhh, you're not that sick, leave..."

Chap was in a car accident, and not every injury sustained therein is obvious or immediate. Same for many problems people can have. I recall the time a friend of mine put off going to see a doctor because he thought he had bad, persistent heartburn or something.

He eventually went in and was rushed through and had a hole cut in his chest so they could re inflate that collapsed lung.

I guess you Dr. Boardsies would have sent him home with a panadol.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    One comment I'll make: I love the amateur hour doctors here on boards, I've seen them in relation to a few hospital threads now.

I dont think anyone was suggesting he should not have sought medical attention; some were saying he should have went to a GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's obviously a good reason for it, they're not deliberately ignoring you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

drkpower wrote: »
    I dont think anyone was suggesting he should not have sought medical attention; some were saying he should have went to a GP.

After a car crash I'd go to a hospital. You might want to take a chance on missing something critical, I'd rather not. I think 3 day headache=GP. Car crash=Hospital. That's pretty fair.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    After a car crash I'd go to a hospital. You might want to take a chance on missing something critical, I'd rather not. I think 3 day headache=GP. Car crash=Hospital. That's pretty fair.

And you were complaining about Boardsie doctors...?!!?

A three day headache could be extremely serious; a car crash could be nothing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I wonder if a system of pre-triage triage could take place, where you call a number, a nurse takes a list of your symptoms and then tells you to go to hospital or wait for GP next day or get an on-call GP. Do they have something like that in the NHS already, NHS direct? Could save a whole load of people going to A&E, the Nurses could even distribute load between Dublin area hospitals and advise which ones to go to.

I wonder if a system of pre-triage triage could take place, where you call a number, a nurse takes a list of your symptoms and then tells you to go to hospital or wait for GP next day or get an on-call GP. Do they have something like that in the NHS already, NHS direct? Could save a whole load of people going to A&E, the Nurses could even distribute load between Dublin area hospitals and advise which ones to go to.

Some local areas do have something similar. Nowdoc in Donegal will either tell you to go to GP, or district hospital where he/she will see you, or will call to your home, or just tell you to go to A&E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, there could be something wrong with him after a car crash. He might have concussion for instance - best to get it checked out by the professionals in the hospital, seeing as that's what they're paid to do.

It's obviously brought on an acute inflammation of the whinge glands.

My mum was down there with a broken arm the other day, incidentally. Think it took about 6 hours to be seen. She not a whinger though so took it in her stride, sans smartphone and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

Tallaght hospital A&E is the worst!! I had hit my head and was stuck in there 14 hours only to have them tell me I couldn't get a CT until the next morning so I'd have to stay there overnight and long story short I had a really bad panic attack, had an argument with the nurse and decided to leave to which she told me I would die if I did (at which point they didn't even know what was wrong). So I left, went home got some rest and went down to James Hospital, was out in less than two hours and all I had was a concussion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Was in a car crash and had a thumping headache and sore neck and back so went up to Tallaght A&E.

That was at 19:20, 5 and a half hours ago.

Id hate to see what this place is like when it's busy. You get no info and are just told to sit there and wait.

The shop closed at 9 and the only thing in the machines are chocolate or crisps and they wonder why people eat crap.

Hey just say you have pains in your chest and the doctors will see you straight away. I know it's not good but its the only way to get seen to quickly these days!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

welcome to Irelands health services, next time you vote for a right wing party you might remember this episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I must humbly apologise for being thirsty and wanting to get a drink from the hospital shop

I didn't realise you had to be on deaths door in order to go to hospital

And of course I clearly am not injured in any way whatsoever by the fact I can use my phone

You went to the emergency department when you were not an emergency? Out of hours doctor service would have been cheaper and faster. Then once assessed by the GP you would have been advised whether or not you needed to see a hospital doctor.
    6 hours in ED is not too bad now for any hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hey just say you have pains in your chest and the doctors will see you straight away. I know it's not good but its the only way to get seen to quickly these days!
    An ex nurse I know once told me to always say that I'd hit my head and act a bit woozy if I had to go to A&E because head injurys can turn nasty very quickly. Still though, I always make sure to bring a book if I have to go to A&E. James' isn't too bad; I've never had more than a couple of hours' wait there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

How did you get on in the end ? Hope you are feeling better.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DocFrustrated

Patient with 10/10 pain siting in A&E in Tallaght right now, has been in and out of bathroom screaming in pain, A&E staff ignoring his pleas multiple requests for pain relief. It's a family member of mine. Young guy otherwise healthy...What to do??? VHI won't see abdo pain, beacon A&E shut. I'm a few months off being a qualified doc, he has 'red flags' for abdo pain but no one will even see him. Am terrified he's going to deteriorate more.

Patient with 10/10 pain siting in A&E in Tallaght right now, has been in and out of bathroom screaming in pain, A&E staff ignoring his pleas multiple requests for pain relief. It's a family member of mine. Young guy otherwise healthy...What to do??? VHI won't see abdo pain, beacon A&E shut. I'm a few months off being a qualified doc, he has 'red flags' for abdo pain but no one will even see him. Am terrified he's going to deteriorate more.

tell them hes just back from Liberia.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If he's been through triage there's not a lot anyone can do .

Tallaght has notorious waiting times.

Spent 19 hours waiting to be seen with a dislocated shoulder .

Also caught swine flu there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I'm a few months off being a qualified doc, he.

He can see you when you're qualified. It'll be quicker than waiting to see a Doc in A and E.

• Advertisement
Advertisement