Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q re getting licence back after 2 dui

• 11-02-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

first dui in 2002,and last dui in 2009,can i apply for my licence back 3/4 way through my ban.?:confused:

also can anyone recommend any insurance brokers-companys..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I think if you have 2 years off the road you can apply after 1 year and if you have 3 years then you can apply after 2. I'm applying end of month after 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

XS-Direct for the insurence
    and
    http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/ for the other thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

You can apply for your licence back but given it's your second conviction I think you have a high chance of being dissappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Delancey wrote: »
    You can apply for your licence back but given it's your second conviction I think you have a high chance of being dissappointed.
    yeah can't imagine it being good in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭GMROCKS

XS-Direct for the insurence
    and
    http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/ for the other thing...

i just looked at xs-direct,seems they dont take on convictions(dui) oh well,as for AA icon14.gif never say never.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

seanybiker wrote: »
    I think if you have 2 years off the road you can apply after 1 year and if you have 3 years then you can apply after 2. I'm applying end of month after 2 years.

You could apply after half time but could only get back after 2/3 that was to allow time for matter to get to court. In relation to 2 year ban you could not apply for early restoriation unless ban was longer than 2 years hence why some judges gave 2 years and 1 day. The 2010 Act changed matters in relation to 2 year and 1 day bans for any bans and events after 1st June 2011 (I think was the date) the formula is now 2/3 of ban or 2 years off the road served which ever is the greater. So only 3 year or greater will get a restoration.

67.— (1) Section 29 (inserted by section 7 of the Act of 2006) of the Principal Act is amended by substituting for subsection (4) the following:

“(4) Where a court considers it to be appropriate the court may—

(a) confirm the period specified in the order of disqualification, or

(b) order the removal of the disqualification from a specified date that is such that the disqualification will have effect for a least two-thirds of the period specified in the order of disqualification, or a period of 2 years, whichever is the greater.”.

(2) Section 19 of the Act of 1968 is repealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You'd want to be able to show you've dealt with your drink problem if you are to have any chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

GMROCKS wrote: »
    i just looked at xs-direct,seems they dont take on convictions(dui) oh well,as for AA icon14.gif never say never.

My apologies I thought they had a policy of "not looking into people's past" hence my €4000 excess!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

GMROCKS wrote: »
    first dui in 2002,and last dui in 2009,can i apply for my licence back 3/4 way through my ban.?:confused:

also can anyone recommend any insurance brokers-companys..?

Try frances at easyquote.ie they were good for me

Tell 049 4332871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

MagicSean wrote: »
    You'd want to be able to show you've dealt with your drink problem if you are to have any chance

Good point.

It is amazing that so many people with drink driving convictions don't believe that they have a drinking problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rodney09

Hi GMROCKS, I am just wondering how you got on with the licence restoration?

Advertisement