Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something is Wrong... Help pleases

Options
  • 11-02-2012 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭

So the build... the build is not acting so hot.

I assembled it all together, got it wired up, plugged it up and before hitting anything else started it was blinking on/off. The motherboard status LED's blinked red on the CPU as well. Reseated the Motherboard power cables and got it to rest stable with a green LED. Powered on. Now the status error ligths bounce between the CPU, RAM, CPU, RAM, then it sits normal for a moment and then I get an error LED on the Boot Device and it powers off. Tried it with 4, 2, and 1 stick ram configurations.

The f*ck do I do now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Hmm, I can suggest a few things to try, but you may have already tried them.

Check that you have right number of stand-off screws on the case for that motherboard... and not one extra or something, page 2-35.
    Re-seat the CPU using page 2-4 on the manual as a guide, also fit the CPU fan.
    Use slots A2 & B2 only for the RAM to start with.

Disconnect all other cables except for the ATX power connection to the board.
    I believe there is an on-board ON switch on the motherboard for just this type of testing.

Basically I'd suggest getting just the basics going first and hopefully that'll help diagnose the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The standoff point is a good one. On a couple of boards, they'll leave out one screw from the ATX standard (for a heatsink or something), and if you add it in by accident it can stop you from booting. Happened to me with my first build.

I'd start from zero and work up. Take everything out, and connect only the 24-pin connector to the motherboard - out of the case - with only the CPU and one module of RAM installed. What happens from there?

If that's ok, try adding your GPU and power cables, if that's ok add RAM, and work up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks I was completely fried getting this to boot last night. Unseated everything and for good measure used my own g.skill ram to get it running. Appears it might have been that, a poorly seated VGA or a combination of factors, but windows is installing now

Advertisement