Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europe is poor so should live within its means

• 11-02-2012 7:42am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16918000
    For decades the West has lectured the East on how to manage its economies. Not any more.
    Now the emerging economies of Asia look like models of steady, consistent policy and sustained growth while Europe, America and Japan are mired in debt and are growing achingly slowly, if at all.
    So what can the West learn from the East?
    According to former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, the message is simple but devastating: Europe must face up to the new economic reality.

"Europe... has lost a lot of money and therefore you must be poor now relative to the past," he reasons in an interview with BBC World Service's Business Daily.

"And in Asia we live within our means. So when we are poor, we live as poor people. I think that is a lesson that Europe can learn from Asia."
    I thought that we were turning Japanese, now we need to turn Malaysian!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

dolanbaker wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16918000
    For decades the West has lectured the East on how to manage its economies. Not any more.
    Now the emerging economies of Asia look like models of steady, consistent policy and sustained growth while Europe, America and Japan are mired in debt and are growing achingly slowly, if at all.
    So what can the West learn from the East?
    According to former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, the message is simple but devastating: Europe must face up to the new economic reality.

"Europe... has lost a lot of money and therefore you must be poor now relative to the past," he reasons in an interview with BBC World Service's Business Daily.

"And in Asia we live within our means. So when we are poor, we live as poor people. I think that is a lesson that Europe can learn from Asia."

If that's not bad enough, I've just noticed the Euronews voice over guy has serious problems ending sentences with the correct pitch. It's now annoying the absolute **** out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When it starts costing a lot more to produce goods in the Far East, they'll be the ones fucked. Manufacturing will move back to the areas where us paupers live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Its a fair article.. Though the comments about europe only really making money by ****ing about with currencies cant be fully correct.. A fair bit of efficient production goes on here.. The automotive industry and germany spring to mind.. Dont think his vision would fly as-is in the states / uk simply due to cultural differences (my opinion, just a hunch) name me a country that underwent an orderly transition to being poor? How is being poor achieved as a goal? (which is essentially what this guy is advocating.. Seems like a defeatist aim)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think the thread (no fault of your's OP) and parts of the article are misleadingly sensational, particularly the title. If you read the article he comes across a lot more reasonable but I'd have to question his command of English or if he chose to be intentionally provocative. As a leading Malaysian politician I would suspect he should have quite an exceptional command of English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ejmaztec wrote: »
    When it starts costing a lot more to produce goods in the Far East, they'll be the ones fucked. Manufacturing will move back to the areas where us paupers live.

Nope.
    They'll just move production to the last untapped cheap labour market, the African nations.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Nope.
    They'll just move production to the last untapped cheap labour market, the African nations.

Possibly, but Africa does not as yet have the infrastructure. Possibly only the Maghreb, Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa.

I mean look at a map of the continent at night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sindri wrote: »
    Possibly, but Africa does not as yet have the infrastructure. Possibly only the Maghreb, Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa.

Don't worry.
    When the wages are near zero, workers have no rights and a corrupt government exists then the infrastructure will appear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The article basically says Europe should stop relying on its financial sector and stop paying employees so much money in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Europe is poor??! Then what is Africa???!

NinjaK wrote: »

Indeed. In fact India, I have been informed, has more people living in poverty than the whole African continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

poor is only a state of mind as theirs always someone better and worse off then you..

its all about how you use the little/alot ye have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Africa is on the rise, Europe is stagnant and in decline, this is not new in world history, the wealth and world economic centre has always moved.

We are just living through another one, the East is usurping the west, the far East is rapidly becoming the world economic centre, the new west if you like. In 10 to 20 years time Europe will look more like South American economies of the 80s, broke and not much going on.

As for banking, it is a key and powerful industry and a big employer why would you want to forego that and the service sector. It is still an area the west can compete with the East, but they to are building up that sector.

I am not optimistic about the wests future, I think our highly indebted economies speaks volumes, we can no longer support them in the long term, we are just not creating the wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fine, maybe we'll take back our manufacturing jobs from Malaysia and see what his reaction is

I'd pay a small bit more to support Irish manufacturing, well EU at best

I think that we'll (re)start basic manufacturing industries here when China cuts the "dollar" umbilical cord.
    At the moment, their cheap goods are as a direct result to the dollar peg, when their domestic market is more mature, they'll let the Yuan float.

End of cheap Chinese stuff, it will be too expensive for Europeans to buy and we'll have to start making our own again, hopefully creating lots of jobs in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

:cool:

I think that we'll (re)start basic manufacturing industries here when China cuts the "dollar" umbilical cord.
    At the moment, their cheap goods are as a direct result to the dollar peg, when their domestic market is more mature, they'll let the Yuan float.

End of cheap Chinese stuff, it will be too expensive for Europeans to buy and we'll have to start making our own again, hopefully creating lots of jobs in the process.

Yeah but manufacturing is already moving to other Asian countries. Even firms based in China have moved inland where it's cheaper to operate and even Chinese companies have outsourced some manufacturing plants.

And after China it goes to South America most likely. Brazil and Mexico and similar countries.

Yeah but manufacturing is already moving to other Asian countries. Even firms based in China have moved inland where it's cheaper to operate and even Chinese companies have outsourced some manufacturing plants.

And after China it goes to South America most likely. Brazil and Mexico and similar countries.
    But chances are, these countries will be selling to China and not Europe/USA and China is really only interested in importing food & fuel. They've already stolen the designs of most hi-tech products by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Everyone in Europe is very very rich. Some of the very very very rich just arent as rich as they thought they were.

See how rich you are compared to the rest of the world :

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Everyone in Europe is very very rich. Some of the very very very rich just arent as rich as they thought they were.

Most Europeans are in the top 1% of global income, that is true, we are just passing the point of "peak wealth", we're not getting any richer.

Other countries are catching up, they've got a long way to go, but our (relative) wealth will decline eventually.

y

I am in the top 98% so 2% are better off then me, :eek: I never realised how poor I am.

So my new years resolution is to climb a %.:mad:

• Advertisement

But chances are, these countries will be selling to China and not Europe/USA and China is really only interested in importing food & fuel. They've already stolen the designs of most hi-tech products by now.

I'm sort of slow I don't understand your point.

Yes but the companies already in China will relocate manufacturing jobs to these other countries. While they export raw materials to China, the coal it so preciously desires, manufacturing jobs will relocate. The expenses of manufacturing in China have risen and will rise to much higher levels. Then, we will see the cheap, and I also believe some high end manufacturing jobs mostly in Europe and Japan, relocate to other parts of Asia and Latin America.

Eventually of course they'll come back to us and it benefits us all greatly as the new middle class in these countries buy our goods and we can export to them.

the Chinese still have some 500 million subsistence farmers, so no labour shortage there.
    The point I'm making is that China is keen to import raw materials and oil from anywhere, if a product is made using locally sourced materials, then they'll import the finished product rather than ship the raw materials to China.

Because of their often aggressive trade deals, those products will not be available to the west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

44leto wrote: »
    Africa is on the rise, Europe is stagnant and in decline, this is not new in world history, the wealth and world economic centre has always moved.

We are just living through another one, the East is usurping the west, the far East is rapidly becoming the world economic centre, the new west if you like. In 10 to 20 years time Europe will look more like South American economies of the 80s, broke and not much going on.
    While it's a popular notion alright, I personally wouldn't agree and history would be more on my side IMHO. Yes the wealth and world economic centre has moved in the past, but it tended to do so in a remarkably Eurocentric/near eastern way(America is in essence a transplanted "European" nation in culture). It's far more rare when it didn't.

Contrary to popular, China has only once been ahead of Europe when it came to per capita wealth. That was in the Tang dynasty coinciding with the European so called "dark ages". As I said in another thread on this subject a Chinese peasant of the year 1000 would not have had a very different life to a Chinese peasant in 1600, or 1700 or 1800, hell 1900+ When the western nations went into China in the 19th century they had no decent roads outside the cities, never mind railways or extensive canal networks to the degree found in Europe. Compare that with the trajectory of the average person and nation in the west over that time. Manufacturing dominance? China has been kinda here before. They flooded the west with cheap and high quality goods throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. That's why your granny calls the good plates "china". What happened? Europe pretty quickly developed the technology and soon broke their dominance. That's why your granny may call other plates "delph"(from Delft in Holland).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

the Chinese still have some 500 million subsistence farmers, so no labour shortage there.
    The point I'm making is that China is keen to import raw materials and oil from anywhere, if a product is made using locally sourced materials, then they'll import the finished product rather than ship the raw materials to China.

Because of their often aggressive trade deals, those products will not be available to the west.

They'll being other nations I mentioned?

I am sorry I have trouble sometime.:)

Wibbs wrote: »
    While it's a popular notion alright, I personally wouldn't agree and history would be more on my side IMHO. Yes the wealth and world economic centre has moved in the past, but it tended to do so in a remarkably Eurocentric/near eastern way(America is in essence a transplanted "European" nation in culture). It's far more rare when it didn't.

Contrary to popular, China has only once been ahead of Europe when it came to per capita wealth. That was in the Tang dynasty coinciding with the European so called "dark ages". As I said in another thread on this subject a Chinese peasant of the year 1000 would not have had a very different life to a Chinese peasant in 1600, or 1700 or 1800, hell 1900+ When the western nations went into China in the 19th century they had no decent roads outside the cities, never mind railways or extensive canal networks to the degree found in Europe. Compare that with the trajectory of the average person and nation in the west over that time. Manufacturing dominance? China has been kinda here before. They flooded the west with cheap and high quality goods throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. That's why your granny calls the good plates "china". What happened? Europe pretty quickly developed the technology and soon broke their dominance. That's why your granny may call other plates "delph"(from Delft in Holland).

That was because China was a feudal society. Would China not have been more advanced technologically and during the Zhou and Qin dynasties? And economically during the Qin?

I don't know about your Eurocentric opinion. Dar al-Islam?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye and no shortage of dissent and potential trouble in that 500 million either. It was the peasantry who got rid of Imperial China. Mao knew this and referred to the power of that group constantly. Highly centralised empires(China is far more an empire than a nation) have two trajectories, stagnate or fall to internal division. Sometimes one leads to the other. IMHO China is actually in more danger rather than less as an entity because of this recent growth. The greater the division gets between the Coastal Han peoples and the vast hinterlands of Han and other cultures, the greater the internal stresses will become and the centre won't hold. It will take immense planning, luck and even force to hold it and I can't see them succeeding. They've been here before too. It's one reason various western powers marched into the place in the 19th century. They marched into a stagnant monolithic centralised empire ripe for division and exploitation.
    Maybe, but if the western nations decide to implement any sort of trade war China is fooked. Their margins are tiny for a start. It's what has built their boom and it's what may well demolish it. Plus is it a boom or is it a bubble. I'd say it's more the latter and as it slows it may yet burst. I'm interested to hear Irish people talk on the rise of China. We forget we had something vaguely similar in our own patch of the world and it proved to be unsustainable. Yet at the time we were all telling ourselves and were told it was never gonna end and talk of soft landings etc. Yet here we are. We built ghost estates on a wave of confidence, the Chinese are currently building what have the real potential to become ghost cities.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That was because China was a feudal society.
    So was Europe for much of it's history.
    Would China not have been more advanced technologically and during the Zhou and Qin dynasties? And economically during the Qin?
    Apparently not as far as the per capita of the average citizen of say Rome. The Qin didn't last very long for a start. The Zhou was amazing, sublime, breathtaking on so many levels, but those levels again tended to be centralised and monolithic. On technology, the Chinese have a history of innovation almost second to none in world history(not printing mind you, that was Korean), however the implementation and exploitation of that technology has often left a lot to be desired. Again long periods of stagnation are the order of the day. Plus they missed some innovations entirely. Innovations that left them behind in many ways. Glass being a biggie. They could make sublime ceramics so didn't bother with glass(except to decorate ceramics :)). Turned out to be a big mistake. While they didn't invent printing they had it very very early on however they were held back by an overly complex written language. They had printing for a few centuries before the west and printed little of worth outside some religious texts and court fancies(and continued on that path after that). Europe gets printing and within a generation starts the first real information revolution that permeated throughout society and put the lead foot on the throttle pedal of the modern world. They had gunpowder for centuries too. Made rockets and fireworks and crude cannon(surprising given their unparalleled history of metallurgy) and bombs. Europe gets it and with a couple of generations changes the world maps.
    I don't know about your Eurocentric opinion. Dar al-Islam?
    Oh agreed S, hence I wrote "it tended to do so in a remarkably Eurocentric/near eastern way". Plus even there it was hugely influenced by the classical Greek/Roman world in the sciences, who had been influenced by the Persians. Lots o back and forth :). If one was to plot world power, science etc over time by holding a plumb weight above a map of the world it would tend to swing in a lazy arc around the Mediterranean more than it didn't for much of history.

What does Eurocentric mean in History when China or Mongolia were the economic superpowers was the world Asian Centric. Now that the USA is the world economic superpower is the world American centre.

Europe was always fragmented more so then most the world and economic centres went from Turkey Italy Portugal Spain France Holland England. If you want to see a history of the world economic superpowers follow the hub or the world number one economic cities at anytime you are studying. That is were you will see the most cultural reach and the power of that age.

At the moment only 2 believe or not reach that grade and they are New York and London but I have little to no doubt that Shanghai, Bejing Mumbai will soon replace those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

Yeah their economies are rising quickly, while at the same time they work intolerable hours for very little.

This doesn't give them reason to lecture Europe or the west, as the general idea of an economy is not to be in a position where you have to work a sweatshop level of hours for very little.

Basically its not that they plan at a better level than the west, its's that they plan probably about just as well PLUS they have practical slave labor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

There's more lights on in Africa than Australia :D

What does Eurocentric mean in History when China or Mongolia were the economic superpowers was the world Asian Centric.
    They weren't and it wasn't. Or more rarely than is thought by many at the mo.
    Now that the USA is the world economic superpower is the world American centre.
    Yes to a degree, but as I pointed out America is culturally a European country. IMHO this is makes the difference in the past and will likely continue to do so in the future.
    Europe was always fragmented more so then most the world and economic centres went from Turkey Italy Portugal Spain France Holland England.
    And that's precisely why it has proven more resilient than other more monolithic and centralised cultures.
    If you want to see a history of the world economic superpowers follow the hub or the world number one economic cities at anytime you are studying. That is were you will see the most cultural reach and the power of that age.

At the moment only 2 believe or not reach that grade and they are New York and London but I have little to no doubt that Shanghai, Bejing Mumbai will soon replace those.
    Again I really can't see it, or at least not to the degree some seem to think. Why? 1) what is the emerging culture of such places? Overwhelmingly western/european in nature with local colour. Less so for India, but only just. How do the new rich of china dress? What music do they listen to? What media do they subscribe to(when allowed)? An alien landing tomorrow would conclude Western/European culture 'won' and continues to do so. 2) Economics. China is a manufacturing giant. Your phone, pc and sundry electricals and household stuff may be Chinese in manufacture, but what is it's origin, which culture designed it? Western. And where does the lions share of the money you pay for that stuff end up? You guessed it and it ain't Bejing or in the average Mr Li or Miss Wengs pocket. The vast majority of the Han hinterland don't see a Yuan of it, nor can afford the stuff you, we take for granted, never mind the many numbered other cultures and peoples under the red flag. That can't sustain. Politically or economically.

If the pundits are correct and the west is on a slippery slope then China is really in trouble. If you don't have customers, you're outa business. It won't take much either considering their tiny margins. If the west actually starts to slip, then watch said west start play economic hardball and begin a low level trade war, a war China can't hope to win. Certainly not yet. And how might it win such a war? Other emerging markets? Quite possibly, but if they don't start innovating and designing in house they've a long road ahead. Their own people? Nope, not enough with enough spare funds to do so. The US could close it's borders tomorrow and there would be hardship aplenty, but they are sustainable at a lower level selling to their own citizens. The Chinese are not and have a long way to go before they are. On that way there will come a point where their goods will become too expensive, because they'll want more wages. Rock --- China --- Hard place. They may yet navigate these choppy even stormy waters ahead, but they're gonna have to tear up the old maps to do it and that will be hardest of all culturally for them to do IMHO.

TL;DR? To paraphrase Twain "The rumours of the death of the western powers have been greatly exaggerated".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Basically its not that they plan at a better level than the west, its's that they plan probably about just as well PLUS they have practical slave labor.

Maybe they see the sweatshop thing as a phase on the way to better times ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

You have to listen to the dogs barking in the street, I suppose... except in much of Asia, of course.

I was thinking a bit more about this today (dangerous ;) ) and the reality is Europe is still extremely rich relative to many Third world countries. Ignoring the top 0.1% of citizens whose incomes skew all the so called average earnings, most people have much more purchasing power than they did 20 years or so ago.

In the 1960s, only those who had well paying jobs could afford to own and run a car, many just used bikes or buses to go to work. Any decline in spending power will have to be severe for a couple of decades before we get back to a 1960s living standards.

There will be a decline as resources become more scarce and their costs rise putting them out of reach of an ever increasing number of people, two car families dropping the second car for example.

Things may look bleak to some people, but we're far better off than 40 years ago and considerably better off than the average third world person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I am extremely dubious about that. Putting in the oppressed employees of FoxConn I get $17 * 6 * 50 ( i.e. their day rate, 6 days a week, assuming 2 weeks holidays) and at $5000 they are in the top 14%. South America is a middle income part of the world, India is trending upwards $2,000, which is lower middle income. China is about where the FoxConn guys are at $5000.

So where are the poor. Subsaharan Africa isn't that much of the worlds population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Look at the map in wikipedia, and then type in $1000 into global rich list. Notice the disconnect. There are only 30 out of 180 countries in the world below $1000.

Edit: here is where they are coming from:

³ Milanovic, Branco. "True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculations based on household surveys alone", World Bank Development Research Group, November 2000, page 30.

two decades old data.

I was thinking a bit more about this today (dangerous ;) ) and the reality is Europe is still extremely rich relative to many Third world countries. Ignoring the top 0.1% of citizens whose incomes skew all the so called average earnings, most people have much more purchasing power than they did 20 years or so ago.

In the 1960s, only those who had well paying jobs could afford to own and run a car, many just used bikes or buses to go to work. Any decline in spending power will have to be severe for a couple of decades before we get back to a 1960s living standards.

There will be a decline as resources become more scarce and their costs rise putting them out of reach of an ever increasing number of people, two car families dropping the second car for example.

Things may look bleak to some people, but we're far better off than 40 years ago and considerably better off than the average third world person.

Americans, and most Europeans, aren't really that much better off. Here is why

1) Women coming into the workforce, increasing labour supply.
    2) Immigration.
    3) Outsourcing.
    4) Loss of union bargaining power.

Eventually, as the rest of the world becomes consumers, manufacturing will move back to Europe. We could easily have a cachet - a made in Europe - which adds a premium to European made goods, they would have to be of German or Italian quality though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rumours of Europe's (and the rest of the West for that matter) demise are greatly exaggerated. China and India are in the ascendant, yes, but given that they are starting from a very low base of development only 20 or so years ago - and their sheer size - these countries still have a long way to go.

Another thing that is overlooked is that Europe is the most socially advanced region on the planet and has very high quality of life rankings due to its environmental, soicial and economic policies. Europe also generates services, is a hub for research and development and produced niche, high value added products very profitably that will remain in demand on a global level for the forseeable furure.

The PM of Malaysia is being somewhat arrogant, hasty and dismissive in his comments. His own country is not exactly a bed of roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

**not read all thread**

sick of hearing about India and china being the future, the fact is they are the past. Where the elite become millionaires because they have power over millions of peasants paying them penny's to do work for them. Jeez give me a thousand china men and i could get them making bottle caps i could be a millionaire.

China and India are no different to tsarist Russia, the aristocracy and the serfs...

just think the eu could make a law to allow millions of low paid workers to come to Europe and pay them **** all and this would get the manufacturing sector going again. Same thing done in other places, like Dubai(**** wages and no rights) thankfully Europe is not like that.

**not read all thread**

China and India are no different to tsarist Russia, the aristocracy and the serfs...

just think the eu could make a law to allow millions of low paid workers to come to Europe and pay them **** all and this would get the manufacturing sector going again. Same thing done in other places, like Dubai(**** wages and no rights) thankfully Europe is not like that.

Not quite. They are building a middle class.

"I have lived millennium and if I was to tell you how many times i have heard ours is the ultimate culture, a power the world has never seen, we could not possibly be usurped by any upstarts, we will be forever, but yet all those great empires are dust".

Or i am sure you recognise this one

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Someone composed a list of the most destructive human episodes of all time based on world population, WW2 is 9th on that list, China's claim to fame is they have 4 in the top 20, including number 1. The An Lushan revolt a war that took part in the middle of the 7th century which raged for 30 years of more, with battles involving a million soldiers, we never seen armies that size since xerses sent his armies to Greece and not again till the 19th century. An estimated 35 million people died in that conflict a figure which involves famine deaths caused by the war. If you calculate the proportion of population compared to time WW2 was fought half a billion people died. That was a very sophisticated culture who could field and supply such huge armies, what was Europe doing in the 7th century.

The biggest middle class in the world is now Chinese, a whopping great 300 million, Companies are climbing over themselves to get a slice of that market even high tech businesses such as Boeing and Airbus are building plants there.

Anyone with a tiny business brain knows were the emerging market are and that is the far east. China is now past Japan and it is the worlds second biggest economy. Europe is in trouble and the US is to enfeebled to assist. If anyone could assist, that would be China who also have the biggest foreign reserves in the world of 2 trillion dollars.

They are no longer content with just importing materials they are snatching up mining companies, banks, energy companies, power companies from South Africa to Australia.

They have already a viable internal economy, a healthier one then the wests and still growing. These arguments always seems to go beyond the facts and usually descends into a kind ethnic and cultural racism, they can be just as creative and culturally as creative as the west, they are people.

It is also interesting that the most expensive art at auctions these days is no longer western, but Chinese, they are buying back their culture, a ming vase recently went for 21 million in sotherbies the collection went for 76 million. Each auction breaks the last record and there are still more to come.

The west while not out is certainly in decline, I am more interested, will the Euro last will the EU last, I hope so anyway. , but that is all I can do, hope, it will be on our own backs and not some "we are more creative then them" we are not.

@44leto good post.

The stats you are quoting are form Pinker - the Better Angels of our Nature.

Most people don't get exponentials and don't really get what is happening in China. The globalrichlist is quoting from income distribution in 1988-1993, back when China and India were both way below $1000 a year. Probably $300 a year.

Where is China now. It is at $5000 a year. It is growing at 10% a year. So when was it at $2500 per capita? 2004. When was it at $1250? 1997, or so.

When will it be at $10000 per capita - about Mexicos level? 2019. When at $20000? 2026.

When $40k per capita - 2033.

Long before then it will be the richest actual country in the world.

* all stats are extrapolation, thats China's trend.

• Advertisement

how will china make the next step from seller to buyer, when the west can't buy their stuff will they have the middle class to buy it themselves?

Yahew wrote: »
    @44leto good post.

Most people don't get exponentials and don't really get what is happening in China. The globalrichlist is quoting from income distribution in 1988-1993, back when China and India were both way below $1000 a year. Probably $300 a year.

Where is China now. It is at $5000 a year. It is growing at 10% a year. So when was it at $2500 per capita? 2004. When was it at $1250? 1997, or so.

When will it be at $10000 per capita - about Mexicos level? 2019. When at $20000? 2026.

Its a fantastic read, for an 800 page book and complex it actually reads like a page turner I can't put it down.

And what you post is true and everyone is trying to get on the coat tails of that growth. They are also importing a lot of capital machines from the US Germany and Japan, the machines that tool industry, each of those countries although enjoying the income from those exports know what the long term cost to their economies those exports mean.

Less german Japanese and we are already seeing less American jobs.

I myself think we should look at protectionism again, although it didn't work before, but the surplus of trade in China's favour is becoming to great. I bet the Americans eventually will.

how will china make the next step from seller to buyer, when the west can't buy their stuff will they have the middle class to buy it themselves?

The West is in relative decline, not - in most cases - actual decline.

As for the Chinese Middle class, BMW is now, and Apple is expecting soon, China to be their best market.

The West is in relative decline, not - in most cases - actual decline.

As for the Chinese mildly class, BMW is now, and Apple is expecting soon, China to be their best market.

i don't think your doing percentages here, its only bmw etc best market if its percentage the best. maybe china will pass the usa, but as long as they have half their population living of a bowel of rice they aren't an example to follow.

i don't think your doing percentages here, its only bmw etc best market if its percentage the best. maybe china will pass the usa, but as long as they have half their population living of a bowel of rice they aren't an example to follow.

I can do percentages. It's BMW's top market, more people in China buy BMW's than any other country. This is in answer to the claim that they don't have a consumer/middle class. They do. Its growing.

Americans, and most Europeans, aren't really that much better off.
    Compared to two generations ago? Yes, they kinda are.
    "I have lived millennium and if I was to tell you how many times i have heard ours is the ultimate culture, a power the world has never seen, we could not possibly be usurped by any upstarts, we will be forever, but yet all those great empires are dust".
    I dunno who said that, but it sounds like a hippie. :D It's incredibly simplistic a comment and doesn't ask the why's or the how's or the too and fro's, or what springs from such 'dust'.
    Or i am sure you recognise this one

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.
    I do and what he's describing is a centralised, ego driven monolithic empire/culture.
    Someone composed a list of the most destructive human episodes of all time based on world population, WW2 is 9th on that list, China's claim to fame is they have 4 in the top 20, including number 1. The An Lushan revolt a war that took part in the middle of the 7th century which raged for 30 years of more, with battles involving a million soldiers, we never seen armies that size since xerses sent his armies to Greece and not again till the 19th century. An estimated 35 million people died in that conflict a figure which involves famine deaths caused by the war. If you calculate the proportion of population compared to time WW2 was fought half a billion people died. That was a very sophisticated culture who could field and supply such huge armies, what was Europe doing in the 7th century.
    Yep and that happened in the Tang dynasty, the only time when the average Chinese had a higher per capita worth than the average European or near Eastern right up to the present day. Plus let's not forget the exaggeration inherent in such "histories" from that distance in time. Hell the Greeks were at it and they tended to be anal to the point of requiring therapy. The victors write the histories, more like hagiographies. Or maybe we should believe the Irish annals from around the same time that describe Cuchulainn slaying a 100 men from the sparks from his hair? Or the Trojan Horse and the length and numbers involved in the siege of Troy?
    The biggest middle class in the world is now Chinese, a whopping great 300 million, Companies are climbing over themselves to get a slice of that market even high tech businesses such as Boeing and Airbus are building plants there.
    Links please, because the latest figures I have found are closer to 100 million and the definition of 'middle class' is itself up for debate. Nevertheless, this ignores the billion behind them who are dirt poor peasants barely above the poverty line(and oft below) left out of this economic 'miracle'. Mark me, they will decide the future of the region more than any emerging middle class.
    Anyone with a tiny business brain knows were the emerging market are and that is the far east. China is now past Japan and it is the worlds second biggest economy.
    Funny you mention Japan. I remember the same thing being said about Japan back in the day. Not such a distant day either. They were once the second largest economy in the world. They're still doing alright, but they're not up anywhere near second. And lest we forget history, Japan had an industrial revolution and large industrial base. A base that China could have only dreamed about a generation ago. Theirs was more a return to some form, rather than a new arising.
    They have already a viable internal economy, a healthier one then the wests and still growing.
    Now you're having a laugh. It is nowhere near healthier than in the west.
    These arguments always seems to go beyond the facts and usually descends into a kind ethnic and cultural racism, they can be just as creative and culturally as creative as the west, they are people.
    Oh I agree 100%. It's eff all to do with any notion of ethnicity. However I would argue that their culture is deeply engrained and that is a major stumbling block as they try to hold the centre of this growth. They have an incredible cultural heritage in soooo many ways, but set against that is disadvantages of said heritage. For a start it's not a nation, it's an empire. One made up of many different individual cultures beyond the Han of the coasts. That's a friction point. It's also and has been since it's very foundation a very centralised, socially structured, monolithic culture, which has shown itself in stagnation way more than in innovation and exploitation of same. That stuff takes more than a generation to begin to excise. We've already seen this in some internal industries and their inevitable race to the bottom, which then killed said industries. We see this in the Laissez faire attitude to anything approaching copyright, to the degree I wonder does Mandarin possess the pictogram for same. This will affect the west a lot less than it will affect China's internal growth if it is to continue.
    It is also interesting that the most expensive art at auctions these days is no longer western, but Chinese, they are buying back their culture, a ming vase recently went for 21 million in sotherbies the collection went for 76 million. Each auction breaks the last record and there are still more to come.
    Go back in your time machine and visit Sothebys in London in the early naughties. Attend an auction of Irish furniture and silverware. Watch the prices skyrocket. Take the same items to Sothebys today and watch you lose your shirt in the interim. This stuff is a given in any emerging market and doubly so in a bubble.
    The west while not out is certainly in decline, I am more interested, will the Euro last will the EU last, I hope so anyway. , but that is all I can do, hope, it will be on our own backs and not some "we are more creative then them" we are not.
    Where do the vast majority of the goods designs and initial capital you and the world owns originate? It's not China. And where does the lion's share of those resultant profits flow? One figure I saw mooted for an iphone was 20-30 dollars per unit to the Chinese who make it. And what does Apple sell an iphone for?
    @44leto good post.

Indeed but you're forgetting that growth by it's very nature slows. It is not an ever upward curve. That's the thinking that got the EU into the shíte. One cannot extrapolate such figures from the past, not without looking more deeply into what stresses may, nay will impinge on those figures. For a start look at the distribution of those per capita figures. Look at the looming underclass that don't come within an asses roar of those figures and what they may have to say about it.
    I can do percentages. It's BMW's top market, more people in China buy BMW's than any other country. This is in answer to the claim that they don't have a consumer/middle class. They do. Its growing.
    Ireland once had the highest uptake of Mercedes per head in the world. The highest proportion of mobile phones and a string of other highests. Remember when Grafton Street rents and real estate prices were higher than 5th avenue? We had the fastest growing and 'healthiest' construction industry in the west too for a time. And now, all too quickly? We have ghost estates. What happened to us in microcosm could very well happen to China. They're building 'ghost' cities as we speak. Oh and we had a growing population. Look up "demographic collapse + China".

Wibbs wrote: »
    Compared to two generations ago? Yes, they kinda are.

Not much.
    Links please, because the latest figures I have found are closer to 100 million and the definition of 'middle class' is itself up for debate. Nevertheless, this ignores the billion behind them who are dirt poor peasants barely above the poverty line(and oft below) left out of this economic 'miracle'. Mark me, they will decide the future of the region more than any emerging middle class.

I will come back to the "underclass" below. China has a per capita income of $5000, which is middle class by world standards. Your concern about the poor is correct, China has a gini index of 0.47. However that means a lot of people have little, lets say 500M ( on $1000 or less) the other 500M is approaching $10000 per capita.
    Now you're having a laugh. It is nowhere near healthier than in the west.

it is, precisely because its growth is in making stuff not moving capital about.
    For a start it's not a nation, it's an empire. One made up of many different individual cultures beyond the Han of the coasts. That's a friction point.

China is 92% Han. Thats probably more ethic cohesion than any European country.
    We see this in the Laissez faire attitude to anything approaching copyright, to the degree I wonder does Mandarin possess the pictogram for same. This will affect the west a lot less than it will affect China's internal growth if it is to continue.

The US in the 19th century disregarded copyright to Dickens' distress. Tends to be the case with rapidly developing countries with little to copy right - and the US in the 19th century produced very little of copyrightable value ( Both Moby and Huck can kiss my hairy white Irish ass).
    Go back in your time machine and visit Sothebys in London in the early naughties. Attend an auction of Irish furniture and silverware. Watch the prices skyrocket. Take the same items to Sothebys today and watch you lose your shirt in the interim. This stuff is a given in any emerging market and doubly so in a bubble.

Not all booms are bubbles. Irelands export fell during the bubble, China is more sustainable, as it is export driven. They are, after all, growing in a European slowdown, if they hit some bubbles ( i.e. real estate) in the next few years, the fact that the rest of the world has to grow sometime will stop them hitting the rocks. Real estate is probably a bubble there, but it is far less significant to their economy than it was here.
    Where do the vast majority of the goods designs and initial capital you and the world owns originate? It's not China. And where does the lion's share of those resultant profits flow? One figure I saw mooted for an iphone was 20-30 dollars per unit to the Chinese who make it.

That's in one assembly plant ( Foxconn), a figure which ignores the capitalists who own Foxconn and the workers and capitalists who supply the other parts. Apples margins are 40%, the rest goes to their suppliers, R&D ( i.e American workers) gets 2%. They don't pay dividends so shareholders get nothing.

And a lot of that 60% goes to China. Very little goes to Europe or the US (Royalty payments and licensing perhaps). And then there is HTC, Lenovo etc. Chinese companies who keep it all.
    Indeed but you're forgetting that growth by it's very nature slows. It is not an ever upward curve. That's the thinking that got the EU into the shíte. One cannot extrapolate such figures from the past, not without looking more deeply into what stresses may, nay will impinge on those figures. For a start look at the distribution of those per capita figures. Look at the looming underclass that don't come within an asses roar of those figures and what they may have to say about it.

That "underclass" is not going back to communism. (And underclass is incorrect - they are poor but social problems are not that great). In fact that labour pool is a huge advantage to China. They are there to take up the slack whenever the workers in cities get uppity.
    Ireland once had the highest uptake of Mercedes per head in the world. The highest proportion of mobile phones and a string of other highests. Remember when Grafton Street rents and real estate prices were higher than 5th avenue? We had the fastest growing and 'healthiest' construction industry in the west too for a time. And now, all too quickly? We have ghost estates. What happened to us in microcosm could very well happen to China. They're building 'ghost' cities as we speak. Oh and we had a growing population. Look up "demographic collapse + China".

Again boom != bubble. Because one country collapsed does not mean the others will ( and since you are arguing that the West is different to China, forgive me for saying that China is different to Ireland).

tl;dr ?

China is closer to 19th century America than Ireland 2000-2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Europe has little in the way of natural resources & is for the most part a continent of consumers on a slippery downhill slope all of the richer European countries have lost their colonies on which their wealth came from... & sooner or later we (& the other "poorer" Countries of the EC) better realize who are new colonies being buggered & stripped of wealth to maintain their position in the upper league!!

I will come back to the "underclass" below. China has a per capita income of $5000, which is middle class by world standards. Your concern about the poor is correct, China has a gini index of 0.47. However that means a lot of people have little, lets say 500M ( on $1000 or less) the other 500M is approaching $10000 per capita.
    They have the largest underclass on the planet and that divide is growing.
    it is, precisely because its growth is in making stuff not moving capital about.
    While I agree 100% that Europe has to start making more stuff, we already do make quite a bit of stuff already. Plus on the R&D front Europe knocks China into a cocked hat. Europe(and the US) aren't all just working the stock market.
    China is 92% Han. Thats probably more ethic cohesion than any European country.
    You need to read far more on this ethnic cohesion you speak of.
    The US in the 19th century disregarded copyright to Dickens' distress.
    No doubt. Canada and the UK pissed off Twain to much the same degree. Important difference to today however.Local publishing copyright had existed to some degree or other since soon after the indroduction of the printing press(and before. See Columbanus getting it in the neck from an Irish king for breaking it "To every cow its calf and to every book its copy"), However internationally agreed publishing copyright is a much more recent invention and set of agreements. Ditto for international patent law. Your example was operating in a very different world, but when that world changed they adhered to the new order. That made them grow even faster. Look at the US gun industry of the 19th century. A better example when it comes to patent protections. There were "gentlemens agreements" between the major names. Compare that to the current and recent Chinese way of doing things. The headlong race to the bottom.
    Tends to be the case with rapidly developing countries with little to copy right - and the US in the 19th century produced very little of copyrightable value ( Both Moby and Huck can kiss my hairy white Irish ass).
    Which with respect again shows some ignorance of these things. The aforementioned firearms industry changed high volume manufacturing for the better. That's just one example of American innovation in the 19th century. There are others. Major innovations in railroads(ironically with cheap Chinese labour), clock and watchmaking, textiles, industrial chemistry etc. They innovated all over the place.
    Not all booms are bubbles.
    The only real difference is the time frame. Economies seek to make that time frame as long as possible. The faster an economy expands the more likely it will burst from over pressure(internally or externally)
    Irelands export fell during the bubble, China is more sustainable, as it is export driven. They are, after all, growing in a European slowdown, if they hit some bubbles ( i.e. real estate) in the next few years, the fact that the rest of the world has to grow sometime will stop them hitting the rocks.
    If the rest of the world goes back to growth it's likely it'll be somewhat at their expense.
    That "underclass" is not going back to communism. (And underclass is incorrect - they are poor but social problems are not that great). In fact that labour pool is a huge advantage to China. They are there to take up the slack whenever the workers in cities get uppity.
    Are you serious? Watch as that section starts to get very "uppity" in the next few years. It's already started, even with the state's control on the media, word is getting out of protest even riots in the hinterland.

Then we have the corruption at high levels issue. One with a very long history. Watch that bite them in the bum. Then we have their neighbours. China is not rising in a vacuum. Others in that region are also rising and arguably from a much stronger base, both politically and culturally. They'll be only too quick to compete with China.

Then we have the Chinese demographics problem that will get worse rather than better. A problem that seems quite under the radar of many.

According to their own latest census of 2010, their population is aging and aging fast and fertility is one of the lowest in the world. The UN has even questioned those figures and reckons on books are being cooked. The problem is likely worse.

Up to now, their demographic economic base has reached it's peak and now it's waning. And fast. In 2009 ages 19 - 25 were at an all time peak of 100million, by 2019 on official figures this will have halved. Yep halved. This will affect their industrial labour base as the decline hits new entrants into the workforce. The very same workforce that fueled this 'miracle'.

One of the biggest drivers of the Chinese tiger economy has been it's demographics. It was a stroke of good fortune that China had a growing young and cheap workforce just as it's economy started to grow. This is changing and changing fast. When labour, never mind skilled labour becomes rarer, it becomes a commodity and that commodity costs. Look at what happened to Europe after the plague years. The cheap peasant labour force declined and caused upheaval across the social and cultural landscape. Nations/economies ignore significant demographic shifts at their peril.

[aside]I would argue that one of the rarely mentioned significant factors in the Irish bubble was demographic in nature. We had a "baby boom" between the late 60's and mid 70's. That population needed an enlarged infrastructure, services and housing by the late 90's. So we built them and they came and kept coming until the numbers ran out. It was obvious to me at least. I even mentioned it here about four years ago(to slight derision). Watch us have another building boom/rise in house prices in 20 years time as their 2.5 kids come to maturity. [/aside]

This change will also affect the number of Chinese graduates. This has already started to happen. In 2008 the number of students enrolling dropped by 400,000, by 2010 it had dropped by nearly a million.

Then look at the younger generation of Chinese. The workers of 20 years hence. Their primary school entrance figures dropped by over a third between the late 90's and mid naughties. In 1990 China had over three quarters of a million primary schools, by 2009 that had shrunk to 300,000. These are serious drops that show a serious trend coming, indeed happening as we speak. Your idea that the hinterlands will supply more workers in the event the rich cities inhabitants get uppity is quite simply wrong. The numbers don't add up. You can build factories and they will come and they did, but the day is looming when they may have "ghost" factories the way we had ghost estates.

Then we have the gender ratio shift which is also increasing. From 110 boys to girls in 2008 to 119 in 2010(20 million plus Chinese men will be in trouble looking for wives and families, which will hit the population in other ways).

Never mind the other end of life where the elderly demographic is rising equally rapidly. Who will pay for them? These are pretty big shocks to the system coming down the line. NO economy in history has survived such a demographic change without problems, including serious ones.

You mention America in the 19th century and compare it to China today. Loosely of course I understand you're using it as a loose comparison. Look at the demographics of the US back then. They had a quickly growing population. Growing populations feed economies. When they decline or shift those economies become shaky. You can damn near plot it on a graph. On this demographics front India is in a far better position and IMHO that's more likely to see a new 'tiger' economy.

Actually Ireland could be well placed in Europe on this score. We've one of the highest fertility rates in the EU(if not the highest). If we educate that population growth and foster it well we could be onto a winner in the next couple of decades. Big if mind you considering the narrow mindedness and sheer bloody idiocy of too many of our political class. I'm not holding my breath anyway.

And this is but one of the reasons that I'm of the opinion that China while becoming a player in the world, will not become anything like the player it's recent history suggests or that some/many seem to be cock sure of. IMHO historically many westerners fall into two camps on the Orient. The "ohmigodtheyresoadvancedandsublimeandourbetters" or "itstheyellowperil". I saw it with the rise of the Japanese economy. Same shít different nation. The truth and future lays somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement