Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another shooting

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Was listening to the radio, and the Gardaí are appealing for information but don't seem to be classing the case as suspicious. That indicates a murder/suicide, I suppose. Hopefully somebody knows something that might bring closure to the families.

RIP to both and condolences to the families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Sindri wrote: »
    There are people in Roscommon?

There were although maybe this is no longer the case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I am 99.9999% certain that I will not be shot at in my lifetime. You can never say never about anything, but I'm certainly not worrying about it.

What if Al-Qaeda or Iran invaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

what if they invaded together ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

mattjack wrote: »

:eek:

Two at the same time? Now my brain hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

:eek:

Two at the same time? Now my brain hurts.
    You would never manage a threesome, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

True. Now I'm scared... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I, for one, welcome our new overlords....especially if they'll promote some of their Islamic finance ideas for our ****ty banks. Which don't actually sound all that bad. Although, I admit, I've only read the first few lines:
    In an Islamic mortgage transaction, instead of loaning the buyer money to purchase the item, a bank might buy the item itself from the seller, and re-sell it to the buyer at a profit, while allowing the buyer to pay the bank in installments. However, the bank's profit cannot be made explicit and therefore there are no additional penalties for late payment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking#Principles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

MsLaura wrote: »
    --- Your intellect must be that of an ant's.

FYP, but thank you for the compliment. I'm not as hard-working as an ant, though, and nowhere near as good a team player.:) And I've been an immigrant for most of my life.:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You would never manage a threesome, would you?

AHEM...............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Alice1

The woman who died has two young children. I know her family and it is really really sad.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Now RTE is reporting the woman was from the Roscommon area and the man an immigrant - from Tipperary.

Sadly, two children have now lost their mother as well, and they can't be very old given that their mother was only 30.

If it was a murder-suicide, that will be easily established, because the weapon will be in or near one of the vehicles.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0211/shooting.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Alice1 wrote: »
    The woman who died has two young children. I know her family and it is really really sad.

RIP

The real victims of murders are those left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The real victims of murders are those left behind.

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Sadly, two children have now lost their mother as well, and they can't be very old given that their mother was only 30.

2 girls aged 11 and 8 according to the rte news report at lunchtime. So sad :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So the Gardai are now saying that they suspect that it was two separate cases of suicide.. That's just unbelievable. I mean what are the odds?

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Ok.

np.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

All joking aside, it is an awful tragedy and my heart bleeds for those wee kids left behind. A natural death or a death due to illness or an accident is one thing but suicide or murder is just incomprehensible to most adults never mind children.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ireland is one of the safest countries on Planet Earth.
    How long more will it last for? Gun crimes on the rise, people in desperate situations, drugs/alcohol etc. Crime rates can only go one way, up!

Yakult wrote: »
    How long more will it last for? Gun crimes on the rise, people in desperate situations, drugs/alcohol etc. Crime rates can only go one way, up!

What are the chances of a 'civilian' (for want of a better word) being shot? Minuscule?

Most gun crime is gang-on-gang related. You could probably count the number of innocent by-standers killed by guns in the last decade on one or two hands.

Of course these deaths are tragic but a little context reveals how unlikely it is that an ordinary punter gets caught up in gun crime.

The numbers killed by guns pale in comparison to the number of people killed in industrial accidents, by suicide or in road traffic collisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

It seems to be a growing trend in Ireland, that when one commits murder; one commits suicide.
    These things are frequently crimes of passion.
    I find it abhorrent that someone who loves another could kill them.
    Such a tragic waste of life for all concerned. The real victims are the family that are left behind to grieve. I often think the murders and suicide takers don't stop to think of the consequences of there actions, with regard to those left behind.
    A life for a life is no justice for those who have lost a loved one.
    RIP to both of them in any case.

So the Gardai are now saying that they suspect that it was two separate cases of suicide.. That's just unbelievable. I mean what are the odds?

Paddy Power haven't put it online yet.

What are the chances of a 'civilian' (for want of a better word) being shot? Minuscule?

Most gun crime is gang-on-gang related. You could probably count the number of innocent by-standers killed by guns in the last decade on one or two hands.

Of course these deaths are tragic but a little context reveals how unlikely it is that an ordinary punter gets caught up in gun crime.

The numbers killed by guns pale in comparison to the number of people killed in industrial accidents, by suicide or in road traffic collisions.

You are mistaken.
    Actually most gun crime is suicide, not gang on gang related.

According to statistics available from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, of nearly 31,000 firearm-related deaths in 2005, suicides account for 55 percent of deaths in the United States whereas homicides account for 40 percent of deaths, accidents account for three percent, and the remaining two percent were legal killings.

You are mistaken.

Is suicide by gun a crime?

Regardless, what I mean is that the chances of being the innocent victim of gun crime in Ireland is extremely slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Regardless, what I mean is that the chances of being the innocent victim of gun crime in Ireland is extremely slim.

True. It's nothing compared to certain parts of the world. I was reading an article about that young girl who was killed in Tallaght (very sad), and some of the comments on the article were ridiculous. People predicting Ireland going the way of Mexico and other such sensationalist rubbish. I often wonder do these people even know what life is like in other parts of the world and how lucky we are with regards to crime. Parts of Mexico are literally no-go areas, where nobody is safe and the cartels sticking the heads of cops on stakes as warnings. It's utter lawlessness in some places, not comparable to Ireland at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It seems to be a growing trend in Ireland, that when one commits murder; one commits suicide.
    These things are frequently crimes of passion.
    I find it abhorrent that someone who loves another could kill them.
    Such a tragic waste of life for all concerned. The real victims are the family that are left behind to grieve. I often think the murders and suicide takers don't stop to think of the consequences of there actions, with regard to those left behind.
    A life for a life is no justice for those who have lost a loved one.
    RIP to both of them in any case.
    A growing trend? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

The immigrants keep coming in and gaining permanent residency, then when the economy collapses and the money's gone, the hostility between people will be far greater than it would be with only an indigenous populous. Wealthy Countries are the safest. Wealthy multi-cultural societies are just as safe as wealthy single-ethnicity societies. But poor multi-cultural societies are far more dangerous than poor single-ethnicity societies, the latter of which Ireland is heading to.

You're totally right, in fact, things are going to get so bad you should definitely leave the country.

We'll follow you in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The immigrants keep coming in and gaining permanent residency, then when the economy collapses and the money's gone, the hostility between people will be far greater than it would be with only an indigenous populous. Wealthy Countries are the safest. Wealthy multi-cultural societies are just as safe as wealthy single-ethnicity societies. But poor multi-cultural societies are far more dangerous than poor single-ethnicity societies, the latter of which Ireland is heading to.

Now that is "random".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

It was reported in the news that they were a couple and the relationship ended a few weeks ago and that he came to collect a few things. Probably unable to take rejection.

Mam and I were talking and speculating she pulled things off with him and he was unable to take it and it does look like that.

Rip to the lady and sympathies to her family.

Him: what a scumbag to leave two young kids without their mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

ilovesleep wrote: »

It was reported in the news that they were a couple and the relationship ended a few weeks ago and that he came to collect a few things. Probably unable to take rejection.

Mam and I were talking and speculating she pulled things off with him and he was unable to take it and it does look like that.

Rip to the lady and sympathies to her family.

Him: what a scumbag to leave two young kids without their mum.
    Rip and my sincere condolences to all the family. Such a shock in such a tiny community. They are a strong family and will survive this. The church yard is a matter of metres from the estate where she lived. Absolute tragedy

• Advertisement

For those speculating, yes it was a crime of Passion he shot her and then himself.

Crime of passion my ass. I hate that shit. If it's anything like it sounds it was a murder of a young mother by someone who couldn't handle rejection.

Murder.

True. It's nothing compared to certain parts of the world. I was reading an article about that young girl who was killed in Tallaght (very sad), and some of the comments on the article were ridiculous. People predicting Ireland going the way of Mexico and other such sensationalist rubbish. I often wonder do these people even know what life is like in other parts of the world and how lucky we are with regards to crime. Parts of Mexico are literally no-go areas, where nobody is safe and the cartels sticking the heads of cops on stakes as warnings. It's utter lawlessness in some places, not comparable to Ireland at all.

Dundalk=El Paso.

Killing (others or oneself) is illegal. That includes suicide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

NinjaK wrote: »
    Your right, lets make jokes about this

:rolleyes:

Don't tempt me . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

For those speculating, yes it was a crime of Passion he shot her and then himself.

Crime of passion my ass. I hate that shit. If it's anything like it sounds it was a murder of a young mother by someone who couldn't handle rejection.

Murder.
    Yes it was murder. Crime of Passion refers to crimes where a romantic involvement was or is present, which is the case here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Killing (others or oneself) is illegal. That includes suicide.

Suicide is not illegal anymore.
    To even think of it even being illegal fills me with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

44leto wrote: »
    Ireland is beginning to look like and feel Dodge city in the wild west.

....and the pimps will be keeping the hooers in line, with the crack! God Father, it will be like that film Boyz in Da Hood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

You are mistaken.

According to statistics available from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, of nearly 31,000 firearm-related deaths in 2005, suicides account for 55 percent of deaths in the United States whereas homicides account for 40 percent of deaths, accidents account for three percent, and the remaining two percent were legal killings.

The yanks cling onto their right to bare arms despite the fact 98% of firearm deaths are either murders,m suicides or reckless accidents*. The mind boggles.

*: obviously most of the murders arent commited by the person to whom the gun is registered and therefore are probably illegally held but even still.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Ireland is rapidly turning into a crime infested ****hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The yanks cling onto their right to bare arms despite the fact 98% of firearm deaths are either murders,m suicides or reckless accidents*. The mind boggles.
    The right to wear a t-shirt is in their constitution though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mikom wrote: »
    Suicide is not illegal anymore.

In Ireland its not but is this the case throughout the US ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In Ireland its not but is this the case throughout the US ?

Don't think it is illegal in any US state.

Advertisement