Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edible Glitter

Options
  • 11-02-2012 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

For those of you using glitter you might want to look at this - many of the so called 'edible' glitters on the market are not actually a food item and are made from things like plastic and non-edible stuff. The UK cake industry is all up in arms about it as the food safety people there have brought in new guidelines.

Just thought you might be interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's so annoying/disappointing, I have so much glitter, which I will continue to eat myself probably :o The same new rules haven't been brought in here yet, but hopefully someone will come up with an actual edible glitter, I need it for my cupcakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Apparently this lot are trying to source some in January (!) that will comply with the regulations. It might worth keeping an eye on. Do you use the British sugar craft guild forum? They are at war with glitter users!

From the edible-glitter.co.uk site:-
    Glitter Information- please read

We've been selling EdAble Art glitter since 2006 and have always sold the range as safe to consume. The Food Standards Agency have recently decided that in order for a product to be sold as "edible" the ingredients must all be digested by the body. As the glitter is inert, and is not digested, it can no longer be described as edible, and so to avoid any confusion, we are reclassifying the current range of glitter as Non Toxic.

As part of this reclassification, the FSA have recommended that the glitter should only be used for decoration or on cakes which are not for consumption.

We'd like to reassure you that there is no threat to health as a result of this change- there has been no change to the product, and in the five years we've been supplying it we've not had a single report of a problem. We have consumed more glitter ourselves than the average baker, without ill effect, and we know that it's been widely used in the bakery trade without incident. We're taking this measure despite having received no official ruling, as we believe it's the responsible thing to do, even though it may harm our sales.

We are in the process of sourcing a truly edible (digestible) glitter which we hope to launch in January. The current range will continue to be offered for sale for decoration only while we develop alternatives.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the glitter, please contact us either by e-mail to sales@edible-glitter.co.uk or phone on 01225 436208.

Advertisement