Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike advice

• 11-02-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Have had a few bikes now for off road use since i was 13. Now i am 33 and probably have just enough sense to own a road bike now just for weekend use. I love the racing type bikes. So with that in mind what sort of bike should i look at. I am 6'2 and weigh maybe 15st so would a 400 be too small. I ask that just cause i got a quote for a zxr 400 for around €400 third party with provisional license which i taught was reasonable for first bike. But was told by other bikers that i be better with a 600 machine like a bandit (just never like the look of bandits). And are these bigger bikes ok when restricted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Triumph Tiger, nice bike for taller riders . . . .

MY12_Tiger800_VenomYellow_Black_frame_386x234(1).jpg

When I was bike shopping yesterday I saw an old model Kawasaki Versys (650) in bikeworld for ~6700. It is brand new and unregistered but discounted because the new model is out. Might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Big bikes are grand restricted plus if its your first road bike you'll know no different.

I'd stay away from the 400's most of em are rat assed and ragged to death.

Bandit 6 are grand just fairly heavy.. SV650 is the best of both worlds.. Comfy/Sporty handle restriction well..

My old one is in SBK at the moment for 3300 red one.. Should have never have sold it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

'hdz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

aurin07 wrote: »
    'hdz

Oh noes - you din't did you?

OP, sit on a few bikes and see what feels right. Restricted big stuff is fine for most traffic and will keep up with other bikes most of the time. Avoid daft stuff like Deauvilles, Pans and Gold Wings and you'll be ok.

'cpt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Oh noes - you din't did you?

OP, sit on a few bikes and see what feels right. Restricted big stuff is fine for most traffic and will keep up with other bikes most of the time. Avoid daft stuff like Deauvilles, Pans and Gold Wings and you'll be ok.

'cpt

Find it help's link me to other things..

'balix

:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jamesaoife

Nice Kawasaki versys 650 on done deal I like ! Wot u think €3 k is enough for it I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Try an FZ6 great all round bike and plently of poke...looks like an R6 sports bike aswell. I am 6'1 and 18st and have no probs with it on any type of journey been all over Ireland on it.

Also a V Strom is a great machine, looks a tad bland but will go all night and great for pillions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yamaha TDM 850.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jamesaoife

Ya I like the tall trail bike, why not the versys ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Restricted bikes are perfectly fine for every day use - I have been riding a restricted Fazer (FZS600) for over a year now, mostly on M1, rest is city filtering - restricted bike has plenty of poke to pull away at the lights and to stay ahead of traffic on M1.

Depending on how much you want to spend, Bandit, Fazer, etc are all nice middle grounds between sports bikes and trail bikes, that you might be able to insure on provisional.

If buying new, I would suggest checking out NC700 S or X - getting brilliant reviews all round (although not much from Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've a mate who's 6'4" and he rides a VTR no problems.

OP everyone's body is different so the only way to know what feels right is to go to a shop with a big selection and sit on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Suzuki SV 650
    Suzuki V/Strom 650
    Yamaha FZ6 (fazer)
    Honda Hornet 600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

LordSutch wrote: »
    Triumph Tiger, nice bike for taller riders . . . .

MY12_Tiger800_VenomYellow_Black_frame_386x234(1).jpg

The XC is good for tall riders, but the non-XC is good for smaller riders (like me)...

Both have easily adjustable seat heights too...

Advertisement