Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work - to be stressed or not be stressed

Options
  • 11-02-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi not sure to put this here or in work problems but in need of outside opinions please...

Currently I'm working for a company that has me stressed to the last and constantly in a bad mood because it is very target driven industry. I possible have an opportunity to work for a very well known organ, that would be far less stressful and a better working environment, for some reason I would feel bad leaving my current company cos they gave me a job when no1 else would, recent graduate no experience etc (loyality I suppose)

What should I do? There's no guarentee of getting this new position but I have every faith that I will. The comparisons between the two are huge and rules in favour of the latter, plus I wants to get some accrediations behind my belt and the latter will also accommodate this where my current position doesn't give me any time to concentrate on other activities

Any opinions or questions welcom, thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI.

Think you'll get more specific advice here, OP.

All the best :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Ickle Magoo, you have to put yourself and your health first. Apply for any job that may suit you better, as far as loyalty to this company is concerned if you have done your best for them then you owe them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks doneDL, that's the way I'm thinking. I don't want to be doing this job 2-3 years down the line, if I go with the other company and get in (it's a 12 month contract, doin a similar role but a lot less stressful), I have the chance to upskill (certs i want to do since I'll have more time to home study) therefore giving me the opportunity to move into what I want to do,

As far as the loyalty goes, I feel I have done vwell for them and have got glowing references from managers etc so in that sense I would feel bad to say thanks and just walk out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Forget loyalty, you owe them nothing
    They'd get rid of you on Monday morning if they feel you had failed them

Nothing wrong with targets and a fair amount of pressure but now they have you stressed

Have a go for the new job, worst that can happen if you get some interview experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Stress is a big killer man. Get out of that job and take it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, how long do you feel you show stay working for the current company for, to repay them for their generosity in giving you a job: Another year? Two? Five? Ten? The rest of your working life? 'Cos you're not going to feel any better about leaving in a few years time, either.

Unless you've been there less than six months, I'd suggest that you wake up and start focussing on getting a better job.

I would apply for the job you have heard about.
    The company you are with give you a job because they wanted and needed the skills you had.
    They may have got you for less money as it was your first job but why should you stay in a stressful job to suit them.
    In the present climate you have to be pro-active in managing your career. If you get a chance to change jobs where you will get more money, more skills and have a chance to do further courses to benefit your long term job prospects you can't turn this down.
    A few years ago one girl I knew was doing well in company A but could see they had problems.
    She went to her boss who said everything is fine your job is safe ect but she decided then to look for another job. She got a new job and within 3 months of this company A was gone out of business. Also if you can get a further 12 months experience in your chosen field along with more qualifications you will have a better chance of getting further work after this time and your cv will look better if you want or have to leave Ireland.
    Good Luck.

thanks guys for your inputs, very helpful and I needed that extra push. Don't get me wrong its not a bad job or company just puts me uneasy. If successful with the other, it opens up many more doors and the chance to advance with my career and much more time for home study as I said before to get the certs I want

I applied for the job, so we'll wait and see, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi not sure to put this here or in work problems but in need of outside opinions please...

Currently I'm working for a company that has me stressed to the last and constantly in a bad mood because it is very target driven industry. I possible have an opportunity to work for a very well known organ, that would be far less stressful and a better working environment, for some reason I would feel bad leaving my current company cos they gave me a job when no1 else would, recent graduate no experience etc (loyality I suppose)

What should I do? There's no guarentee of getting this new position but I have every faith that I will. The comparisons between the two are huge and rules in favour of the latter, plus I wants to get some accrediations behind my belt and the latter will also accommodate this where my current position doesn't give me any time to concentrate on other activities

Any opinions or questions welcom, thanks for reading

New job + more qualifications + less stress seems like an easy choice to me.

Go for it. But don't burn any bridges on the way out. But from reading your post, I don't think you would be that type of person.

Best of luck to you.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Get offered the new job first, then be fair to your current employer regarding notice, handing over to new staff, etc and leave on a nice note.

Maybe bring in buns on your last day and send a thank-you email around the dept/office . Dont forget to cultivate network contacts in your job (eg. Linked-in) before you go, useful to have a mentor or good references for the future.

Dont feel bad about leaving - if they needed to cut costs and lay you off they would - its business. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Currently I'm working for a company that has me stressed to the last and constantly in a bad mood
    Long term, this will effect your health badly.

Also, stress can be a slow killer.
    I applied for the job, so we'll wait and see, thanks again
    Good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

boobar wrote: »
    New job + more qualifications + less stress seems like an easy choice to me.

Go for it. But don't burn any bridges on the way out. But from reading your post, I don't think you would be that type of person.

Best of luck to you.

+1 everything the others said.

Though I'd add don't let go of the current job until you have confirmation of the new one in writing. But the new job seems to be the right move. I wouldn't hesitate.

Advertisement