Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for apple pie recipe

Options
  • 11-02-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a really good apple pie recipe, I say pie, because I am interested in making one of those lovely deep dish pies you get in America. It’s for my husband and it’s the one thing he dreams about in advance when we are planning a holiday in the States! He likes cinnamon and is not a fan of big lumps of apples, he prefers the pie that has nearly a stewed apple consistency (only not as gooey!). Thanks in advance for any recipes, there are so many on the net and I am a bit of a hopeless baker, so I’m for one that someone here has found ‘foolproof’!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Sorry, haven't got a recipe for you, as I make shallow ones, but to avoid lumps of apples I grate apples instead of chopping them - much faster, smaller bits of apple but not as liquidy as stewed apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Sorry I'm late joining in here but this recipe is really good and everyone loved it when I made it. I'm useless at technical stuff, hope you can access it below but if not, just google it and it will come up. Good luck.

Rum Raisin Apple Pie Recipe at Epicurious.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mewa

Here is an almond pastry pie, but potato pastry is also great.

Almond Pastry

300g butter,at room temp
    187g icing sugar
    2 eggs
    vanilla extract or zest of 1 lemon
    65g ground almonds
    500g flour

Hand method
    mix the flour, sugar, extract/zest and almonds into a bowl
    Rub in the butter until resembles fine bread crumbs
    Add the eggs and knead smooth. Don't over knead. wrap in cling and refrigerate for at least 45mins

Mixer method
    fit mixer with paddle attatchment
    Add the butter, zest/extract and sugar and mix on medium speed til smooth (scrape paddle and bowl occassionaly-with machine off of course!)
    Gradually add the eggs.
    Stop the mixer and add half the flour, mix on low speed to combine then stop again add remaining flour and mix on low 'til combined. Don't over mix. Cover and Refrigerate as above

For the filling
    cinnamon
    jam sugar and butter (the pectin in the jam sugar helps set any liquid that seeps out during cooking, so the pastry won;t be soggy)
    2 -3 large cooking apples brambly peeled and sliced

For the filling

For a firmer apple filling; coat the apples in the jam sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle a good layer of jam sugar on the base of the pastry before adding the apples sprinkled with jam sugar in layers, dotted with some little knobs of butter. (use granny smiths if you want an apple that stays really firm)

For a less firm filling; gently saute the jam-sugar and cinnamon coated apples in a little butter and allow to cool and drain any liquid before adding the the pastry case.

This makes a great blackberry and apple tart, use a little more jam sugar and you'll have a lovely jam-like juice.

Assembly

Butter and flour a 7inch tin, line with pastry and place in freezer for about 30 minutes.
    Then add the filling.
    Cover with a pastry lid (or weave on a lid as in photo) and slice the top a little to let air escape.
    Brush with milk or egg wash and sprinkle with brown sugar, cook in preheated oven f170C fan for 45mins

Allow to cool slightly before cutting to allow the pectin in the jam sugar to set some of the juices.

03032012185.jpg

03032012189_1.jpg

sorry pictures are so giant can't seem to make 'em smaller

If you weave a pastry top on a pie, do you need to cut holes as well to let the air escape?

• Advertisement

If you weave a pastry top on a pie, do you need to cut holes as well to let the air escape?

No you don't, sorry didn't make that clear. There are little gaps between the weaves so you don't have to.

Thanks, novice here when it comes to baking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 harrismargaret

I will give it a try soon, looks yummmm :D

Advertisement