Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Affordable Residential CCTV System

• 11-02-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi Just wondering if anyone could recommend an affordable 4 camera CCTV system. Have been ringing different Security companies and electricians getting prices ranging from €900 to €1800 installed. I know there is perhaps different spec differences but basically living in rural area in Cork on an acre site and want something to cover the boundaries. Any recommendation greatly appreciated.

Anyone heard of these guys

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherhouse/2959877

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Have a look at PTZ cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

hi, have a look at shop called maplin (maplin.ie). The address in cork is Blackpool Retail Park, Unit C2, Cork. just talk to them and they will recommend the best solution for you. they have a great range of cctv from 200 euros. I bought one from them some time ago with internet access. works perfectly. of course you will need to install it by your self, but it is very easy as there is clear instruction how to do that. I would help you with installation if you have difficulties as I have some experience in that, but the problem is Cork is faraway from Dublin :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its like this one
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/complete-8ch-network-security-system-with-smartphone-viewing-and-4-x-480tvl-came-589999
    keep away from it. Very low spec. Not worth the money & probably has no digital watermarking.

I have similar to this one. http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-pro-security-system-with-smartphone-control-dome-cams-and-live-streaming-532738 quality great. + both dome cameras are 600TVL so quality of image is great. Also if you don't need an internet access for similar amount it is possible to get even better set.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The specs on that are very vague. 2 of the cameras are 480 tvl and they are calling that high resolution. That is very poor resolution. 600 tvl is average now, not super high resolution as they are stating . All of this also depends on the record rate. For4 camera system I would recommend 100fps .
    Again no mention of digital watermarking. Without this very basic feature any evidence can be dismissed as fake. My advice would be to deal with suppliers who know what they ate talking about and keep away from the DIY market. The good stuff would only cost a little more if your self installing.

• Advertisement

the question was "...if anyone could recommend an affordable 4 camera CCTV system...". affordable means affordable as he doesn't want to pay 900 euros or more. For the amount of 400 or so you get what you pay for. if he would like to spend more I would recommend very good systems, but he doesn't want to. plus the electrician gonna charge a lot more for installation. and for sure from the shop you will get better deal for the same amount than buying from security company. I mean the electrician or security company gonna charge you a lot more for the same spec. set. second thing on one acre of land the system which I mentioned in my previous post is more than enough. even in the night. ant the third thing anything can be accepted as an evidence. I had cheap Chinese camera installed in the kitchen facing to the garden. It didn't even have a date stamp. And for garda and judge it was enough to proof who robed the shed. Probably that depends on the lawyer and on how serious was crime. not sure.

First off Amber2 said the quotes ranged from €900 to €1800 .
    The OP never stated what was affordable or a budget. Specs were mentionsed & recommendations were requested.
    I pointed out the poor specs of the systems that were linked. I also pointed out, the often missed, lack of digital watermarking.
    The OP is also looking at an affordable Samsung system , with a higher spec & digital watermarking, that comes in not too far away from the price of the inferior system linked to above.
    If someone wants cheap & cheerful thats fine, in fact you would get the likes of €480 TVL cameras & a basic recorder like yours for a under €200
    on the net.Research & looking for recommendations can make all the difference & save you money. The think about these low spec systems is they look great in a shop window with excellant lighting & a smaller screen showing live images in real time. Play back an image at night in poor light & at only a few frames per second & you will see the difference. They try go to court with your unverified images & have a good barrister dismiss them as unreliable & then you realise the money that was wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

Has the swan system not got digital watermarkings?

I dont think so

Wait ...im wrong .. Some of them do have it

• Advertisement

Some of them do have watermarks. it is one example: http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=539

OK so this one has digital watermaking but the rest of the specs on that are worse again...:confused::eek:

160GB HDD? The minimum on most machines is 500GB now
    Claiming 55days record time? Onto that size hard drive the quality would be terrible.
    4 OutdoorCams have clear resolution 380 TV lines CMOS video display, weather resistant metal casing, indoor / outdoor, day / night vision up to 26ft (8m) & more
    380 TVL is, pretty much, the lowest quality camera you can get..
    8" LCD Monitor ? Very small. The norm would be 15"-17"
    Not worth anywhere near $899.99..

I just gave the example to proof that swan has watermarks. I didn't even check other spec. as I am driving at the moment. so I just checked on google and took the first example. and just to let you know I know very well that there are a lot of good sets of cctv with brilliant spec's. I just puted an example of what I have and with what I am happy enough. that's it. plus the price (I paid arround 300eur for that).

Some have water marking thats fine. I am also simply pointing out the problems with lower spec machines for the OP.

I agree with you. more expensive sets are mostly better quality. Also when buying cameras it is very important to check the operating temperature. most of cheap cameras can be damaged if the temperature drops below minus ten degrees...

Not only the cheap ones. Many's a full function dome was put to the test over our 2 recent bad winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

amber2 wrote: »
    Hi Just wondering if anyone could recommend an affordable 4 camera CCTV system. Have been ringing different Security companies and electricians getting prices ranging from €900 to €1800 installed. I know there is perhaps different spec differences but basically living in rural area in Cork on an acre site and want something to cover the boundaries. Any recommendation greatly appreciated.

Anyone heard of these guys

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherhouse/2959877
    Looks like a good deal on paper.
    Call them and ask for a demo or online demo and take it from there

Some of them do have it

Thought that also, it is not the worse system for a DIY install.
    Less the cameras that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭amber2

Doesnt mention watermarking :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭amber2

Its has it i checked that before buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 flantastic

lads, just wondering about this digital watermarking function. i'll be getting a cctv system for domestic security soon and was wondering does the watermarking come with the cctv camera itself or the dvr. im saying this because i've already got 2 700 tvl camera's and want to hook them up to a good dvr,also can ptz cameras be connnected to any dvr or i presume it's a specific dvr system

Its on the DVR

flantastic wrote: »
    can ptz cameras be connnected to any dvr or i presume it's a specific dvr system

It should say on the spec if you can connect one or not.

You would also need to check what protocols the DVR & The PTZ camera use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 acadia

Hello
    Maplin have a great 4 camera system for only 399 euros you install it yourself i think they only have a few left its a great price for this spec of system inc hard drive recording

Thats Maplin in Jervis Street Dublin Im sure they have a web site somewhere

Advertisement