Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp reinstall

Options
  • 11-02-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

i am trying to do a clean install and it goes thru the motions until it gets to the restart when it just starts to do it all again from the beginning. in the bios under drives it sees the 2 HDs but in the boot order it says onboard sata not present. i am stumped.
    machine is a dell dimension 9200. xp media centre edition 2005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i am trying to do a clean install and it goes thru the motions until it gets to the restart when it just starts to do it all again from the beginning. in the bios under drives it sees the 2 HDs but in the boot order it says onboard sata not present. i am stumped.
    machine is a dell dimension 9200. xp media centre edition 2005

boot into your bios and set your sata mode to IDE as windows xp setup has problems with sata drive mode set at ahci mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

where do i do that ? i cant see anywhere that gives me that option .

where do i do that ? i cant see anywhere that gives me that option .

THE SOLUTION

Step 1) Boot the Bios (On a DImension 9200, tap F12 immediately after turning on the computer)

Step 2) Go to "Device Setup"

Step 3 Scroll down to the "Sata" Heading and go to "Sata Operation."

Step 4 Change the setting to "RAID Autodetect/ATA."

THE SOLUTION

Step 1) Boot the Bios (On a DImension 9200, tap F12 immediately after turning on the computer)

Step 2) Go to "Device Setup"

Step 3 Scroll down to the "Sata" Heading and go to "Sata Operation."

Step 4 Change the setting to "RAID Autodetect/ATA."

did that. made no difference. same result. maybe the HDs are knackered. unusual for them both to go

the thing i cant understand is, in the drives list in the bios it can see both drives but in the boot order it says drives not present. then i put in the xp disc and it sees the size of the drives when it comes to formatting. so it sees it and it doesnt. the xp disc must be loading it somewhere

• Advertisement

the thing i cant understand is, in the drives list in the bios it can see both drives but in the boot order it says drives not present. then i put in the xp disc and it sees the size of the drives when it comes to formatting. so it sees it and it doesnt. the xp disc must be loading it somewhere

is the pc able to run win7?

dump xp and get win7 and you wont have that problem anymore

i did a reinstall a few years ago with no prob. i dont think xp is the issue. the HD is not present in the boot order. this is before i put the xp disc in.

i did a reinstall a few years ago with no prob. i dont think xp is the issue. the HD is not present in the boot order. this is before i put the xp disc in.

it might be a corrupt mft... do you have another pc that you can test out the drives in?

you might be able to delete the partitions and recreate them using another pc.

got it working. really frustrating. thanks for the help

have the same problem again :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I came across that problem a few years back.

As part of the install you can install 3rd party drivers. At this point you need to have the SATA drivers for the HD and install them. I had (and still have!) a floppy drive on the pc and was able to install them from there. After that, the install will continue and XP should be able to see the drive.

Advertisement