Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Familly with children in bray

• 11-02-2012 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm from France and my familly and I will move near Dublin in few months, we are thinking to move in Bray but my children are too young for school (2 & 3 years) i'm looking for what kind of activity is available in Bray for children ?

Don't find any playground for example but perhaps there is other kind of place

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

There is a playground in the park by the Dargle (Near Superquinn). I think there is also one near the library on Boghall Rd. Most children in Ireland start school at 4-5, depending on when in the year their birthday falls. All children are entitled to a year's free preschool education the year before they start school. There are also parent and toddlers group that meet once a week or so.Rollercoaster.ie is a good source of information. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

There is a very nice kids play area on Sidmonton Road in Bray http://g.co/maps/7kzqy

For wet days I'd recommend http://www.junglemania.ie it’s about 10-15 minutes drive from Bray but worth the trip. There is another play centre in Greystones called Zoom but it caters more for older kids, there is not as much play area for under 5's as they have in Junglemania.

If you are looking for Creche facilities in Bray send me a PM, and I will let you know about the one we use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Nikitali

Thanks for the answers !

I'm glad to find kids play :

Sidmonton Road ok http://g.co/maps/7kzqy
    Schools road -Boghall Rd ok http://g.co/maps/63wf3

I've only find this one near superquinn : http://g.co/maps/rnx7g

i'll check so.Rollercoaster.ie

I think the place near Superquinn that bisset means is here http://g.co/maps/v9agd its called People's Park.

Also on nice days, you have almost 1.5kms of this to enjoy http://g.co/maps/76cc9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

You also might consider
    The sea life in Bray for wet days. The annual family pass is very good value and my kids never tire of visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Are any of you actually from Bray?
    You can't bring your kids to the peoples park, unless they like falling on syringes
    The beach is ok as is Bray in general, but the parks are usually trouble.

Also don't move to Bray if you can afford Greystones or other nicer areas around, it's not a terrible place but you can probably do better

OP, without question Bray has issues like any town in Ireland or France for that matter. I have to say I have never seen needles in the people's park, dog waste yes, but I have seen plenty of that in Greystones too.

Towns get names and reputations that hang around long after they are warranted; Parisians are arrogant, the people of Marseilles are thieves and so on.

Where you end up will very much depend on your own choices and where you are coming from. I have no doubt that you will have taken the time to think things through and you should have a good look around. Maybe a short visit would be prudent?

With the ages of children you have a walk or scoot on the Promenade and a hot chocolate or coffee for yourself is pure heaven no matter what the day has in store for you. Trust me you will never tire of it. A lot will depend on your pace of life.

Off the top of my head I can think of three Hibernia-France families in the town, if you would like and I can ask them to contact you.

Greystones is lovely too and equal to Bray in many ways (well maybe the coffee is not as good there, but such is life).

It is worth thinking (depending on how long you intend to stay) about your interests too. Happy parents make for happy children too.

Best of luck.

Thanks dovahkiin i take note of that my husband will go back before we all move in so i'll ask him more info on that

I'm use to (and so my children) town life, see other children (mother & toddler group) go in park ect ... i've take a look on greystone it seems to be very nice but i'm affraid that it will be too quiet for us :( don't want to stay at home every day ... i prefer a smaller house with more life outside
    Bray is also a choice because of where my husband will work (15mn max from work)
    I've seen Dún Laoghaire (who is less than 10mn from his work) but I don't think we can afford this !

If you have other idea let me know ! thanks you for all your info :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dovahkiin wrote: »
    Re any of you actually from Bray?
    You can't bring your kids to the peoples park, unless they like falling on syringes
    The beach is ok as is Bray in general, but the parks are usually trouble.
    I'm from Bray - that's complete bull**** about syringes - it happens the odd time but not every bloody day

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

I'm 19 and would be wary of hanging around the people's park unless it was busy with football matches going on or I was in a large group. The park on the boghall posted above is a complete no go area even for people that would know the area well. Bray beach is safe enough during daylight hours and is definitely the best choice. The park on Sidmonton is safe enough too

I'm not saying Bray is a warzone but I don't think it's ok to tell someone unfamiliar with the area that it is perfectly fine to bring their children to the park on the Boghall of all places.

As for Greystones, It is not boring. It has everything Bray has and more. It is safer and has a nicer atmosphere. In the Summer the beach is nicer than Bray and the park in the town is a good place to bring kids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

The park on the boghall posted above is a complete no go area even for people that would know the area well.

Is this not a give away - CCTV cameras outside the playground :)

Having lived in Bray and gone to the school at the end of that road - I would agree 100% that this is not an area to be hanging around.

OP I have kids aged 7,5 and 2 and to be fair to all on these posts they are not out in playgrounds late at night causing trouble. I doubt yours will be either. I will check thier beds tonight if you could report back on yours too, the good people of Bray have standards too. Who says you can come here anyhow!

Mind, you do parenting differently in France and I look forward to seeing you apply “Sage comme une image” when you get here.

You state that your husband will be working nearby and I think you should consider that too. Commuting here can be frustrating and it would be worth while considering that. You do not want him stuck in traffic twice a day.

Will he be on the DART or Luas lines or off them. Traffic in Bray, Greystones or any of the towns at certain times of the day can be hectic if travelling by car. If you locate close enough cycling is a real option, it really does not rain as much as people make out. (Yeah, the rain is harder in Bray than Greystones too before anyone starts).

Having moved about myself a few times, you should look upon it all as a new adventure, a fresh start, sure there will be problems but you have them at home too.

Enjoy.

Thanks wally for your post and the "French lessons" from irishtimes is very interesting (i'll read it again more carefully) but don't believe all you read :D i don't recognize myself & my children in a lot of point

Indeed my husband was thinking to use cycle to work this is an important point actually he spent nearly 1h30 to go then come back from work ...
    In fact after the distance between work/home my second concern is what can i do with my child whole day if when i come to the park there is no children to play with this is a problem for me, i need to meet other people & my children too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wally Runs wrote: »
    OP I have kids aged 7,5 and 2 and to be fair to all on these posts they are not out in playgrounds late at night causing trouble. I doubt yours will be either. I will check thier beds tonight if you could report back on yours too, the good people of Bray have standards too. Who says you can come here anyhow!

I have to say, I haven't a clue what the point you are trying to make is. Who said anything about 2-7 year olds in the playground late at night causing trouble?? People are concerned about gangs of rough teenagers drinking and doing drugs at any time of the day so I don't think anyone needs to check whether their 7 year old is tucked up in bed or out *****er drinking. :D

The good people of Bray have standards.....the Bray skangers don't.

I don't think the OP needs our permission to live in Bray????

Calibos wrote: »
    People are concerned about gangs of rough teenagers drinking and doing drugs at any time of the day

I think this thread is strongly exaggerating this problem

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nikitali wrote: »
    Thanks wally for your post and the "French lessons" from irishtimes is very interesting (i'll read it again more carefully) but don't believe all you read :D i don't recognize myself & my children in a lot of point

Indeed my husband was thinking to use cycle to work this is an important point actually he spent nearly 1h30 to go then come back from work ...
    In fact after the distance between work/home my second concern is what can i do with my child whole day if when i come to the park there is no children to play with this is a problem for me, i need to meet other people & my children too

There are a couple of mother and toddler groups in Bray on this list here

www.wicklowcountychildcare.ie/p&t.htm

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think this thread is strongly exaggerating this problem

So do I, I am simply confused about what the quoted poster was going on about with regard to his/her 2-7 year olds not causing trouble at playgrounds at night and was thus pointing out that any trouble would be coming from gangs of drunken teenagers not other kids on the playground...if there wwere to be any trouble at all.

I've a feeling after re-reading it today that maybe the point he/she was trying to make is that any trouble at playgrounds is confined to night-time hours when one is unlikely to take the kids to a playground. I'm well versed in the nuances of some ironic wit but the way they put it had me stumped for a while. :D

Dovahkiin you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else but you must understand that the groups of youths that you as a 19 year old may encounter in these areas are not going to engage with or any way hassle a mother/father with young kids. Trouble-making kids like these are to be found in every urban area it’s nothing specific to Bray.

I’ve lived in Bray all my life and at the age that you are I found myself quite regularly running into gangs of teenagers spoiling for a fight or trying to generally make a nuisance of themselves but they don’t engage with people much older than themselves. I’m just saying that your perspective and experience of the town is not the same as everyone’s. I hope your comments haven’t put the original poster off considering the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

There is also a good park Shanganagh on the old Bray road in Shankill not too far from bray http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209898677791868016171.0004b92883f3ea37f2097&msa=0&ll=53.221452,-6.119943&spn=0.024924,0.07566

Thanks mango salsa for mother and toddler groups list in Bray :)

As i was saying my most concern is what to do with my children : there is mother and toddler groups, there is park it's perfect for me !
    my husband already knew someone who is living there with children (but older enough to go to shool) so i know this is not an awfull place ;) i think we will concider seriously to move here and we will see ourselves !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

hi OP,

I have young children who are growing up in the area.I am not going to slate Bray in ignorance as I do not actually live there,and I am sure it is the same as many towns, with good and bad points about it, but I will recommend Greystones for a family with young children based on my own experience.

There are areas inbetween Bray and Greystones where you could consider and if you have a car, then you have the best of both towns!I would have thought when choosing where to live- to go to the places and area and get a 'feel' for the place.

Bray has a nice promenade/beach for when the weather is good. Great for the kids on their little bikes/scooters etc. They have several funfairs there during the year too.There is a library with a good children's section.There is also the Sealife centre; bit pricey for one off visits, but I hear the annual pass is worth having if you go alot.Both Bray and Greystones have the DART to get into Dublin.

Greystones has loads going on for kids; there are parent/toddler groups every day of the week. There is a Facebook page called 'Greystones parent and toddler group' which lists all the groups and details and is a forum for people to share what is on locally for families.There is a swimming pool (also one in Bray), and loads of sports clubs, creches,pre-schools etc.

The primary schools are all excellent.2 softplay places (Jungle Mania is better for the younger kids, and Zoom). 2 parks, the beach and seafront walk. You are spoilt for choice for restaurants and coffee places. Library has a good children's section.I also take my youngest to a little music group called Do mi so.There is a huge population of families with young children, and I can vouch that I am never bored with the kids here.

I can also recommend buying an annual membership to Kilruddery house (outskirts of Bray) it is a lovely place and fantastic for picnics with the kids in the summer-loads of room to run around and explore.There is something called the 'Buala bus'(also on Facebook) which moves around the county- a play facility that is a great thing for the smaller kids.In the summer you can travel south to Brittas bay, which is a lovely long sandy beach where the kids will be so happy for a long day out, and of course Dublin has loads to offer too.

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

but they don’t engage with people much older than themselves.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. I’m 45 years old and have lived in Bray for the last 5 years (Southern Cross) and worked in Ballywaltrim for the last 3. I used to walk from home to work on the first year but now I drive.

3 times I have encounter a group of 4/5 teenagers when coming from work (around 5pm) and they tried very hard to make the rest of my day very bad. The last time, on the Boghall Road, I got punched on the face twice, but luckily some people passing by helped me and they run away.

I know lots of people here and the vast majority are nice people caring on with their lives, even many from those council states, we know 2 families who lives in Giltspur Heights and they are lovely. However it doesn’t matter if most of the people are great, you just need to cross the path of 3/4 teenagers looking for trouble to get your day destroyed really bad. Unfortunately, in Bray, find these groups are not too difficult there days.

I’d also recommend, if possible, to consider Greystones or Delgany. Our contract is finishing this summer and we are already looking houses in there.

Advertisement