Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Can Chicken

Options
  • 11-02-2012 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Has anybody here ever cooked "Beer Can Chicken"?

Its something I read about somewhere online before, but I can't remember where! Random web browsing I suppose.

Has anyone any recipe for this? What beer to use to get best flavour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've seen it done on the BBQ and to be honest I'm not too sure how authentic the method/recipe is.

It consisted of literally opening a can of beer (I think we used Heineken) and, um, how can I put this, inserting it into the chicken before cooking. The closed end of the can sticks out the, em, open end of the chicken.

The chicken was then roasted slowly on the BBQ, turning regularly. Apparently, with the heat, the beer expands out of the can, flavoring the chicken from inside.

It was actually quite tasty.

Then again, there was quite a few cans of Heineken used in a more traditional manner, so I can't be certain just how tasty it was. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

We regularly cook beer in the butt chicken on our Big Green Egg. So much so that we got a special ceramic beer can replacement that's easier to balance on the grill. Our method is to take a can of beer and remove the top using a can opener, remove half the beer and add a couple of cloves of garlic, some onion and some thyme. Sit the chicken on top so the can is up her butt, sit her on the grill, close the lid and cook her for however long is necessary, normally about an hour. We usually throw a quick rub and some olive oil on the outside as well.

It's exceptionally moist, so much so that we rarely roast a chicken in the oven any more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've done it a few times with a spicy rub. It's nice but I prefer spatchcock barbecued with a nice rub pushed into slots in the meat.

/Edit/ I'd actually posted them in the Here's what I had for dinner last night thread:

Beer Can Chicken

Spatchcock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

looks great :) i think this could work well in an oven. put the chicken on a baking tray with diced onion, carrot, celery, herbs, garlic and cover and seal with kitchen foil. all the juices from the chicken, the rub, and the beer collect in the baking tray. strain the juices at the end and add a little cream for an amazing sauce to compliment the chicken, yum yum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shanemangan

Brilliant :)

I will try it out this weekend and let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I have done it in the oven but never on the BBQ.

Open the can of beer, pour half over the chicken and leave for about a hour,.Basting often.

finally chop a onion and pop into the can with some garlic and herbs. Sit the chicken on the can (Up the poor chicken bum) carefully sit the can and chicken in a rosting tray and rup with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Cover very loosely with foil and cook in the oven at about 180 for 2 hours. remove foil for last 15 minutes.

Really nice!!

PS. Don't forget to lower the oven shelves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have seen this done a few times on the BBQ but never knew how to do it in the oven - now I do! Lager or what do you recommend??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Dovies wrote: »
    Have seen this done a few times on the BBQ but never knew how to do it in the oven - now I do! Lager or what do you recommend??

I just use whatever is in the house or on sale in the supermarket. Last time I did it, I used Carlsburg and it was fine, Have used bud, Miller anyone that is to hand.

Getting the longing for it now. Might do it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Done it a fair few times.....the method is that it brings the beer to the boils so steams/coos the chicken internally....doesn't impart any flavour... never tried it in an oven though. Only on the bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm sure I've read of this done with Coca Cola also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Has anybody here ever cooked "Beer Can Chicken"?

Its something I read about somewhere online before, but I can't remember where! Random web browsing I suppose.

Has anyone any recipe for this? What beer to use to get best flavour?
    There's a recipe in Jame Oliver's America book.

I tried it before and it was great. I used Bavaria as it was all I had around.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I prefer to use bottled beer because I've read that the burning paint on the beer can is possibly/probably carcinogenic.

In preparation I soak a beer bottle in warm soapy water until the labels come off. I wash off any glue residue and rinse under clear running water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I prefer to use bottled beer because I've read that the burning paint on the beer can is possibly/probably carcinogenic.

In preparation I soak a beer bottle in warm soapy water until the labels come off. I wash off any glue residue and rinse under clear running water.

I'd worry that the bottle would shatter.

I'd worry that the bottle would shatter.

No, never been an issue. Modern glass is free of impurities and will easily stand the temperatures for slow cooking a chicken. If the BBQ is too hot then you'll incinerate the chicken.

I use 8 to 10 charcoal briquettes in my large Weber and once lit, with the lid in place and the vents partially closed, they will burn for 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I've just replaced my old microwave with a combi version and I'd love to try this recipe with the bottle using a mix of microwave and convection oven. Do you think the glass in the bottle would stand up to the job?
    I used to make the beer can version in the oven and everyone loved it but I take your point re the paint and I doubt if it would be safe to use the can in the microwave anyway, even if it was well surrounded by the bird.

I doubt you'd have the height in a microwave to stand the chicken on the bottle. Also, the point of cooking the chicken on the barbecue is to get the slow cook tenderness and smoky flavour which I think you'd lose by microwaving. I think that a normal convection oven at around 180 degrees Celsius would be a better prospect if you don't have a suitable kettle style barbecue. You can then complete the cooking on an open top barbecue (without the beer bottle) to get the smoky flavour and crispy skin.

In answer to your question - yes, it should be fine. The bottle would only be exposed to temperatures a bit higher than water's boiling point in the microwave. I regularly use plastics in my microwave which would not stand the remotest chance in a barbecue.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cans also usually have a plastic lining on the inside. I imagine prior to using it you could get rid of the nasties -i.e. you could just throw your empty can on the barbeque or blast it with a blowtorch to get rid of the paint & plastic.

Glass tends to shatter only when it sees very fast changes in temp, which lead to difference in expansion & contraction which break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I doubt you'd have the height in a microwave to stand the chicken on the bottle. Also, the point of cooking the chicken on the barbecue is to get the slow cook tenderness and smoky flavour which I think you'd lose by microwaving. I think that a normal convection oven at around 180 degrees Celsius would be a better prospect if you don't have a suitable kettle style barbecue. You can then complete the cooking on an open top barbecue (without the beer bottle) to get the smoky flavour and crispy skin.

In answer to your question - yes, it should be fine. The bottle would only be exposed to temperatures a bit higher than water's boiling point in the microwave. I regularly use plastics in my microwave which would not stand the remotest chance in a barbecue.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of using something like those miniature bottles that you get as mixers in the pub - my microwave is extra large, so I think it could take them. The reason I'd like to use the combi function is that it seems to make a great job of cooking quickly and retaining moisture, while browning very evenly all over. I don't use the BBQ much this time of year (!) In fact, I rarely get to use it even in the summer :(
    I baked an apple tart at the weekend using the combi function and the pastry was superb while the apples were perfectly cooked from raw via the microwave part. Baked potatoes with a crispy skin work well too. I used to brown my chickens after cooking them in the microwave, so I'm looking forward to the all-in-one method now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Thinking on trying this in the next few days for a few friends. Any more tips from the people whove done it?

Im going to do 2 chickens, 1 with brown porter inside with a salt pepper and herb rub and 1 with a wheat pale ale with a spicey chilli rub.

I have a gas weber bbq that should be large enough, it has 3 long burners that run from left to right (if that makes sense) and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get a good indirect heat method on a bbq like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

The book for the BBQ should confirm this but if I remember rightly you heat the BBQ using all 3 then cook the food with the front and back at a medium heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I have done this with cider before and can confirm it is lovely! match the herbs with the cider and roast some apple wedges and you're golden

Advertisement