Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity cold calling

Options
  • 11-02-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just had an Airtricity rep come to the door. Said hello and saw his Airtricity badge and said straight away sorry but I'm not actually interested but thanks (was eating my lunch!). He then took a step back,looked me up and down and started saying 'are you ok can you see me??!!!!!!' very strange and i just said I'm busy at the moment. He then Took a step towards me, stuck his hand in the door and started pointing at me,raised his voice and sayin listen to me I'm not asking you to sign I'm telling you to listen to me and came closer and closer towards my face. Said I'm not interested and he just started raving what day ARE you interested. Was completely threatening and intimidating. Close the door and he stayed looking in the window beside my door for a minute or two.

Can name the man.

Who can I complain to, would think Airtricity sub contract these cold callers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Your first call should be to the company this guy represents Although if you felt threatened or intimidated you should probably also call the Gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

RoboRat will know what to do, he's a real hard man when it comes to dealing with people like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

I also had a call from them yesterday, 2 girls, the minute I saw her Airtricity lanyard I stopped her sales pitch and told her I wasn't interested. She asked me why I didn't like saving money and tried to make me feel stupid but I was well aware of their tactics and took no notice.

I also informed her that one of the reasons I didn't want to continue was an experience I had a few months ago with 2 other reps. I was dealing with them in a different capacity, this time they were buying stuff from me (I work in retail) while we were chatting it came up that they were Airtricity reps, they went so far to say that they could not go back to certain towns because they had ripped so many people off. I found this very unprofessional even if they were off the clock and vowed never to deal with them (the company) again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

God I'd hate to do that job, I'd nearly rather be unemployed altogether.

You need to be completely barefaced to do it, or so it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

djdunny wrote: »
    I also had a call from them yesterday, 2 girls, the minute I saw her Airtricity lanyard I stopped her sales pitch and told her I wasn't interested. She asked me why I didn't like saving money and tried to make me feel stupid but I was well aware of their tactics and took no notice.

I also informed her that one of the reasons I didn't want to continue was an experience I had a few months ago with 2 other reps. I was dealing with them in a different capacity, this time they were buying stuff from me (I work in retail) while we were chatting it came up that they were Airtricity reps, they went so far to say that they could not go back to certain towns because they had ripped so many people off. I found this very unprofessional even if they were off the clock and vowed never to deal with them (the company) again.

These must be the things they are taught to say because I got the exact same thing from a girl two weeks ago. I said I wasn't interested and she said so u don't want to save 350e a year? Patronising tone etc., as if to say I was mad.

Don't mind so much about that because that's what they are told to say and it's a sales tactic. This guy today was a completely diff kettle of fish.

It is disgraceful that they would say that They had ripped so many off too, as if it's something to be proud of!

Tried calling Airtricity, not open on Saturdays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I had so many of them call to my house and like that I ended up feeling pretty drained and intimidated so I wrote a very to the point email to Airtricity that they should take my address off their lists because if I every get harassed from their reps again I'd be taking it further.

I never got a reply to the email but I've never had a rep at my door either and I've seen them in my estate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Simplest thing is smile and say, I already switched to Airtricity. Thanks bye..

They'll just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Solair wrote: »
    Simplest thing is smile and say, I already switched to Airtricity. Thanks bye..

They'll just move on.

That doesn't work. They know which addresses are and aren't enlisted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't want this going off topic into rep-bashing. Stick to the original topic of how the OP can lodge a complaint against this particular rep.

dudara

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I have them at my door once a week too. Everytime the doorbell rings it's either someone looking for money for some yoke, or airtricity looking for new customers. I tease the dog a bit when the doorbell goes, have her barking like mad. Then go to the window and say if I open the door the dog will eat you. They go away. (little king charles!) They've started to hassle people in Tesco near me too. Just inside the door, and they practically follow you out.

Edit: Put up a sign, NO COLD CALLERS. Works like the no junk mail signs. or COLD CALLERS WILL BE HURT. Have a hurley inside the door, use it as a walking aid, when they see it, they'll go. In a former life, I did cold calling, door to door. There is absolutely no way you can stop or contact anyone from knocking at your door. Unless you are fenced in from the road, have a big gate and it is locked. I only did it for 3 days. Why did I stop? Dog bit me. Made no sales at all, so no commission, and down a pair of trousers 'coz of the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

They called to us earlier today and my wife said I'd be home later so he said he'd call back.

This time I was ready for them.:)

I'm on ESB online and direct debit and I did all the sums before he called because he left a leaflet with their rates with my wife.

I used their "1 Year contract" Online and direct debit which was the closest match I could find with what I have with ESB.

I calculated both for a 2 month period with a usage of 1,000 units.
    I got €157.03 for ESB and €158.89 for Airtricity before tax.

He called around 8pm and I brought him in and let him have his rant and then I bamboozled him with the figures. He was a broken man and ended up taking notes and said he was going home to do the pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Who can I complain to, would think Airtricity sub contract these cold callers?

I would call Airtricity and let them know, I'm sure they don't want this kind of carry on or to be associated with it. Plus, it might cause a lot of trauma for someone older so I would definitely do something about it.
    RoboRat will know what to do, he's a real hard man when it comes to dealing with people like that....

Jesus wept, will you let it drop and stop being so petty. I don't tolerate that kind of behavior... you obviously do, so lets agree to disagree and stop stalking me.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Jesus wept, will you let it drop and stop being so petty. I don't tolerate that kind of behavior... you obviously do, so lets agree to disagree and stop stalking me.

I never said i did. But i did work at it for a wile and the hard man comment you and others come out with on hear about how you ''deal'' with them well in all the time i did it i never seen anyone do anything like whats said on hear. Then again its easy to act the big man on hear isn't it?

I never said i did. But i did work at it for a wile and the hard man comment you and others come out with on hear about how you ''deal'' with them well in all the time i did it i never seen anyone do anything like whats said on hear. Then again its easy to act the big man on hear isn't it?

Hard man comment? Ignoring a cold caller after you have told them that you are not interested is acting the hard man? Dear lord, you are quite a fragile individual, I'm surprised you actually lasted a 'wile' with that kind of delicate outlook.

Should I have kept answering the door every time he called and told him I wasn't interested? Should have I listened intently to his sales pitch, congratulating him on his excellent delivery? Should I have invited the poor mite in for a nice cup of hot tea and some fresh buttered croissants....

Anyhow, I'm leaving it at this. If you wish to continue hounding me then so be it... As you said yourself...
    its easy to act the big man on hear isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't know why people are so intimidated by cold callers. Just tell them firmly that you aren't interested and close the door.

That's all you have to do.

If they put their foot in the door, ask them firmly to remove it and leave.

I have absolutely no qualms about asking a cold caller to leave if they continue pressing the issue.

I will not buy anything sold to me at the door, as I do not have time to calculate savings / work out what the product will cost and with things like utility bills, you really need to sit down and do your sums!

They're the kind of products most suited to researching online and buying when you're good and ready.

Same for broadband etc.

If I get cold-calling on the phone, I listen and if it's absolute junk I just say I'm not interested. If the are persistent I just hang up.

Occasionally, you do get 'warm calls' with special offers, so there's no harm in answering them. E.g. got free Sky Sports from Sky as they were clearly concerned that we might move to UPC.

I don't know why people are so intimidated by cold callers. Just tell them firmly that you aren't interested and close the door.

Not so easy if they try to intimidate you like stated above. I wouldn't be too happy if my wife or retired parents had to put up with a guy like originally mentioned.
    I will not buy anything sold to me at the door, as I do not have time to calculate savings / work out what the product will cost and with things like utility bills, you really need to sit down and do your sums!

Completely agree with you there. Likewise I don't give money on the street/ shops as I have a direct debit set up to the charities of my choice. If I want something I will look into it, make a decision and contact the company myself. You should be able to sign a database to say that you don't want cold callers, it would be beneficial to everybody if this was possible.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Hard man comment? Ignoring a cold caller after you have told them that you are not interested is acting the hard man? Dear lord, you are quite a fragile individual, I'm surprised you actually lasted a 'wile' with that kind of delicate outlook.

Should I have kept answering the door every time he called and told him I wasn't interested? Should have I listened intently to his sales pitch, congratulating him on his excellent delivery? Should I have invited the poor mite in for a nice cup of hot tea and some fresh buttered croissants....

Anyhow, I'm leaving it at this. If you wish to continue hounding me then so be it... As you said yourself...

Why do you answer the door? I look out the window and if I see a stranger I sit back down and continue to watch TV. I don't care if they see me, I won't buy, sign up or give money away on my doorstep. The usual suspects don't even bother to call anymore as they know its a waste of their time.

I remember really annoying a door to door salesman when I lived in a ground floor apartment in Rathmines. He had called in before and I told him I wasn't interested. This guy arrives at the door which was right beside a big bay window looking into the sitting room where I was watching a match. The guy was banging on the door pretending he couldn't see me, but I wasn't going anywhere. He then 'notices' me and starts smiling and mouthing to open the door so I looked up and said No. He continued knocking on the door getting increasingly frustrated as I turned the volume up and completely ignored him. He gave up and he never bothered to call in again.

Hear would be an example of you acting the big man. Something i bet you dont even do, most likely answer the door with the same retarded look everyone does when they answer the door and most likely run on hear to cry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - I'm closing this thread as it is circling the drain hole again. I asked posters to stick to the original topic.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement