Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty oil thieves

Options
  • 11-02-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

What is it with this latest spate of robberies?
    I have a couple of cousins who have had home heating oil and diesel oil drained from their tanks in rural areas. And then after a refill, robbed again.
    And then, one cousin, after removing his diesel oil tank from its base after 2 robberies, and bringing it home from his out farm, the unfortunate tractor he left there got all of its windows smashed in, because the thieves were obviously pi@@ed
    It's disgusting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Where abouts is this happening?

I know of cases were home heating oil was robbed in the Coolgreany area a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

this is happening all over ireland,its a big problom now and geting worse every day.
    i posted allready on another tread how there doing it,very fast tanks emtey in less than 20 mins.
    these people are the lowest of the low,very few can afford oil now let alone get a refill after stolen oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And as for those tank lock yokes-don't bother with them.A thief would simply puncture the tank or disconnect the pipe from it.
    The price of oil is crazy and then some cunt robs it.:mad:

Invest in some concrete blocks and build a bunker around the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Niles wrote: »
    Where abouts is this happening?

I know of cases were home heating oil was robbed in the Coolgreany area a while back.

All over.
    Cousins in Courtown, Ferns and Bunclody got done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

What is the attraction ? - Is it been sold on again , or used in cars/vans .

I doubt it is been stolen to use as home heating oil .

In my opinion , CCTV is a good deterrent .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Anecdotal evidence has it that the usual suspects are to blame. Hopefully they are using it in their own vehicles as it won't take long to fcuk them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

bmaxi wrote: »

Anecdotal evidence has it that the usual suspects are to blame. Hopefully they are using it in their own vehicles as it won't take long to fcuk them up.
    I thought most home heating systems ran on kerosene which wouldn't be much use for engines.

Have hear of a few lads replacing their main external tanks with a couple of smaller ones hidden in sheds and then filling the old tank with water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I suppose it's possible they're using it for their own home heating/selling it on as home heating oil...
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Have hear of a few lads replacing their main external tanks with a couple of smaller ones hidden in sheds and then filling the old tank with water

Good idea, lace it with sugar & salt for added amusement. :D

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I thought most home heating systems ran on kerosene which wouldn't be much use for engines.

Kerosene will burn in diesel engines, it just won't do them any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Southeast Gravecare Services

Yes, its terrible the increase in crime, especially in rural areas. Things are bad enough without coming home to an empty oil tank. The idea of building a wall around the tank is excellent, and also it would make a nice garden feature if shaped nicely with bricks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

It's sickening that people's oil is being stolen. Heating oil is one of the necessities of life at this time of year and it's bloody expensive too.

Where are the Gardai in all this? Oh, forgot, they're probably busy checking for tax and insurance.

[QUOTE=patff;77164295

Where are the Gardai in all this? Oh, forgot, they're probably busy checking for tax and insurance.[/QUOTE]

Be fair, only when they're told to. You could park your car in a box junction with no tax, insurance, NCT and with bald tyres, no lights and no exhaust, perhaps even with a dead pedestrian sprawled across the bonnet and be confident the Gardaí wouldn't bother you. That, you see, would require effort and initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

Fit an alarm to your tank guys, it's relatively inexpensive.

gradlife wrote: »
    Fit an alarm to your tank guys, it's relatively inexpensive.

And relatively easy to disable.These guys will go to any lengths to steal your oil,there was a piece on Ear To The Ground recently about oil thieves and nothing seemed to deter them,they even made a hole in the roof of one guys shed to get to the tanks.

A sensor light is some deterrent or a wicked dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Someone mentioned in another thread that "the usuals" would follow oil tankers to see who got filled, and come back later and empty the tank :(

If you want the thieves to not hit your tank again, it seems the best thing to do is get two tanks, and put one at a more accessible point to the road, and do this:
    soups05 wrote: »
    i filled it the next day with a mix of water,food colouring and washing up liquid. the colour was near enough right. spent about an hour filling it. almost empty six months later. hope it ruined thier burner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

Brothers house in Saltmills got hit two weeks ago, ripped up all the pipes too.

Small victory for the cops,3 men were arrested at Scarawalsh just outside Enniscorthy following a chase from the New Ross area,they had been stealing oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

zerks wrote: »
    Small victory for the cops,3 men were arrested at Scarawalsh just outside Enniscorthy following a chase from the New Ross area,they had been stealing oil.

Well, I've never been slow to criticise the Gardai for inaction, but if they've caught some oil thieves, I say well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

They also emptied the tank in my son's primary school. It was quite cold at the time so the school had to be given a day off. Disgraceful thing to do especially to a school, well in fact to anybody really when times are so hard for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rivervarrig

patff wrote: »
    Well, I've never been slow to criticise the Gardai for inaction, but if they've caught some oil thieves, I say well done to them.

and a garda car rammed in the process. no doubt it will not be replaced either.

patff - just because you see a checkpoint doesnt always mean its for tax or insurance. often set up to detect the movement of known criminals.
    but of course you reckon they need to be told to do everything as they dont use effort or initiative. who will you call if your tank gets emptied?

• Advertisement
Advertisement