Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partial rebuild boundary wall

Options
  • 11-02-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Neighbours are complaining about a section of the boundary wall being unsafe as there is a crack along part of it where it seems the mortar has gone. I had a guy look at it and he reckoned it was fine.
    However, first off I will be looking for an assessment regards the need for rebuild as at this point we disagree. Who would do this and how much?
    How much could we expect to pay for rebuild? It is a section of approx 5/6 metres long by approx 2 m high. It is concrete block wall. I expect that the cost should be split. am i right about this?
    Finally, i also can't help wondering, is the damage actually their fault as they had mature trees right beside the wall til a year ago when they were cut down. I've heard that trees can damage foundations. So was then wondering, if it must be rebuilt, could they actually be fully responsible? Or is that clutching at straws?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

paddles wrote: »
    1. Who would do this and how much?
    2. How much could we expect to pay for rebuild? It is a section of approx 5/6 metres long by approx 2 m high. It is concrete block wall.
    3. I expect that the cost should be split. am i right about this?
    4. is the damage actually their fault as they had mature trees.... could they actually be fully responsible? Or is that clutching at straws?

1. contact your local engineer - the call out charge circa €150-250
    2. get 3 local block-layers to price the job for a ball park - see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76423207
    3. that depends whether the wall is central on the boundary line (ie you each own to the middle of the wall) - why not ask your neighbour.
    4. possibly - but how do you intend to broach that with them? and how do you intend to prove it? the engineer may give an opinion on this but as the trees are gone this might be difficult to prove..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

3. It is the middle walk betw both houses so I understand It's shared wall.
    4. The tree stumps are still there. They didn't kill off the trees, in fact they are re-growing, they were fully grown - roof- high trees.
    Thought it worth mentioning. I bet if shoe on other foot, I'd be blamed if it was my trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Didn't have to raise the issue. Don't have to pay. Neighbours were happy enough to do the job themselves cos of the trees. I was really second guessing the whole thing but seems they realise their trees damaged the foundations. Sweet!

Advertisement