Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

door/window alarm

Options
  • 11-02-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of putting up some window and door alarms myself. Saw on the internet that most of them are magnetic. Was wondering how near the 2 pieces of one alarm needs to be of each other as the windows and in particular the door are sticking out from the frames itself. Mounting it on the door seems the biggest problem as the edges of the door are not flat. Most doors are like this so there must be some kind of standard solution for this or maybe it is not a problem at all.

Thanks for some advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Just remember those would be useless if you were not at home. Plus there is a switch at the side of them
    Have a look at the Powermax system or HKC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree with Thunderbird, A total waste of time. They could be disabled in a few seconds & noone outside is going to hear them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

wannabe7a wrote: »
    Hi,

Thinking of putting up some window and door alarms myself. Saw on the internet that most of them are magnetic. Was wondering how near the 2 pieces of one alarm needs to be of each other as the windows and in particular the door are sticking out from the frames itself. Mounting it on the door seems the biggest problem as the edges of the door are not flat. Most doors are like this so there must be some kind of standard solution for this or maybe it is not a problem at all.

Thanks for some advice.

All depends on the sensors and magnets used. When you say they are not flat, are you referring to the frame against the door ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wannabe7a

altor wrote: »
    All depends on the sensors and magnets used. When you say they are not flat, are you referring to the frame against the door ?

The frame is flat, but the door is sticking out and the door edge is not flat: angle of 45 degrees. So it seems that one part is going to be at an angle of 45 degrees at the door compared to the other part which is on the frame and flat. To get the two parts near each other I guess you have to elevate the part on the frame.. But wondering if the whole thing will work if the 2 parts are not parallel to each other. Maybe the edge of the door needs to be leveled as well, at least same flatness as the frame. The door is pvc so will be glue job so not really going to look nice in the end.

Actually I saw as well sensors that reacts to vibration (just one piece) so maybe that will do the job, instead of having two parts. Are sensors reacting to vibration better than 2 moving parts?

I guess a home alarm system is better than just pieces that works on batteries as already suggested, but the systems have either the 2 piece parts or the sensors that react to vibration (one piece)?

The frame is flat, but the door is sticking out and the door edge is not flat: angle of 45 degrees. So it seems that one part is going to be at an angle of 45 degrees at the door compared to the other part which is on the frame and flat. To get the two parts near each other I guess you have to elevate the part on the frame.. But wondering if the whole thing will work if the 2 parts are not parallel to each other. Maybe the edge of the door needs to be leveled as well, at least same flatness as the frame. The door is pvc so will be glue job so not really going to look nice in the end.

Actually I saw as well sensors that reacts to vibration (just one piece) so maybe that will do the job, instead of having two parts. Are sensors reacting to vibration better than 2 moving parts?

I guess a home alarm system is better than just pieces that works on batteries as already suggested, but the systems have either the 2 piece parts or the sensors that react to vibration (one piece)?

If you are not going to cover the opening on the window the shock sensor will go straight onto the frame. Have you any links to the sensors you are planning to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wannabe7a

altor wrote: »
    If you are not going to cover the opening on the window the shock sensor will go straight onto the frame. Have you any links to the sensors you are planning to use?

the sensors are going to be linked to the home alarm system if that is what you mean.

the sensors are going to be linked to the home alarm system if that is what you mean.

Global shock sensors will work then.

Advertisement