Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoderDojo

Options
  • 11-02-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Would be great to see someone set up one in Kilkenny.

http://coderdojo.com/help-us/i-want-to-start-a-coderdojo-right-now/

Great outlet for young people and make up for the shortfalls, short sightedness and failings of the current education system. These movements are inspirational and are where true economic recovery can begin.

Be interested to hear the fabbydabby view on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

A friend of mine is about to try and set it up. She was speaking to the Coder Dojo people at the Young Scientist's Exhibition. If you know of any kids who'd enjoy it let me know and if any of you wanted to lend a hand with the organisation I'm sure she'd be delighted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Really? Why? Nobody else cares what I think :(

I don't have an opinion on it to be honest. I don't really know much about computer programming although I did write a simple program when I was in college to calculate compounded interest on savings but my program just insulted you with a different insult which was based on the interest rate you entered.

I think this kind of thing would be quite popular with youngsters actually.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

A great idea. Wish I had coding skills to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Maybe better to link to the 'about' page for people like me who never heard of it before.http://coderdojo.com/about-us/

Better to teach kids life skills like how not to be scammed by marketing and media people into paying too much for a house.
    Or how about teaching them to develop alternative fuels.
    Too much bread and circuses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm friends with the guy who set it up, so if anyone has any ideas for venues, or if anyone would like to help out with it, I'll pass the info on and get him to look into it. I don't live in KK at the moment, so I can't really help out apart from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Marya01

There's one being set up at the premises of Young Irish Film Makers on the Waterford Road, if you feel you can help out in any way please contact Angela there.

www.yifm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Who isnt interested in it? Cheers me up when I spot a new one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I'd love to help out with one of these. They sound like a great idea. I'm a Computer Science student so hopefully I'd have some useful skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marya01

Thank you Mo14, I am sure it would be advantageous for us to have several people who would be available to mentor or assist with this project. All offers of help are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Just a quick mention about Coder Dojang which is basically Coder Dojo for adults. First class is on in Dublin this week for anyone interested. They are looking to establish more around the country but not sure if there would be much of an appetite for it in Kilkenny. Basically this is what is involved:

Thank you for registering your interest in Coder Dojang!

Our first Dojang meetup is on from 1pm - 4pm this Sunday 25th March at AMWorks. Coder Dojang is open to all levels so come along, bring your laptop and learn coding in a fun and collaborative way!

Directions:

AMWorks' co-working space is located at 9 Anglesea Row, D7 (which is the lane behind the AIB bank on Capel St.) For directions:

http://www.amworks.ie/contactus

On the day:

Depending on what you want to achieve, we'll be utilising a number of online resources on the day to help you learn the basics or learn a new language. We'll be adding new modules and resources throughout the sessions.

Resources/Projects:

Intro / Basic Programming Skills:
    Basic Programming Principles - General - Scratch
    Mocking Up - General - Balsamiq
    Blogging - HTML/Various - Wordpress
    Introduction to Github - General
    GNU Image Manipulation Program - General - GIMP
    Basic Game Development Modules:
    Game Development with Game Salad - General - Game Salad
    Basic Programming Principles - General - Scratch
    GNU Image Manipulation Program - General/Graphics - GIMP
    Build a Simple Website / App:
    Functional HTML5 & CSS - HTML/CSS - Codeschool
    Introduction to Java - Java - Codeacademy
    30 Days to Learn HTML & CSS - HTML/CSS - Tutsplus
    30 Days to Learn JQuery - JQuery - Tutsplus
    Build Advanced Websites/Apps / More Advanced Programming Modules:
    More Java Tutorials - Java - Codeacademy
    Try Ruby - Ruby on Rails - Codeschool
    Rails Zombies - Ruby on Rails - Codeschool
    Building a Search Engine (7 Weeks) - Python - Udacity
    Intro & Advanced PHP - PHP - Web3schools
    C# For Beginners - Visual C# .Net Programming - Home & Learn

Want to get involved?

If you have any questions or would like to volunteer feel free to send us an e-mail: coderdojang@gmail.com

Additionally, if you are interested in setting up another Dojang Meetup we'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for registering your interest, we look forward to seeing you on the day!

On behalf of the Dojang Team:

- Happy Coding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭nhg

I know that CoderDoJo is run in Dunmore on a Saturday afternoon, someone mentioned to me recently that it is being set up in Callan - does anyone have any information on it please

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Necro or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

Still no CoderDojo in Kilkenny?
    I wouldn't mind helping somebody to set one up, or even setting one up myself if I had some help.

Advertisement