Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Upgrade

Options
  • 11-02-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Three have offered me an upgrade. I have a HTC Wildfire, like it very much but it can become sluggish at times, but especially when the battery is low. Reception also drops when the battery drops below 15%.

Samsung Galaxy S2 catches my eye, but is it the best phone out there on Android? Does it have any reception issues? My area has small pockets of poor reception.

Would I be better holding off for a few weeks or so if there is a better phone just about to be launched?

Thanks in Advance... :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may not tether any longer on their upgraded plans, if you continue with the current plan you may continue to tether...if that is important to you.

They will aslo ring you twice a day every day from now on if your contract is up around April time. Answer and leave the phone down. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You may not tether any longer on their upgraded plans, if you continue with the current plan you may continue to tether...if that is important to you.

They will aslo ring you twice a day every day from now on if your contract is up around April time. Answer and leave the phone down. :(

Bugger, they never rang me once, and my contract was up at the end of January.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thanks for the replies lads... I presume to tether is to use the mobile as a wireless access point for laptops etc...?

Also, is the Samsung S2 the best offer at the moment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Danno wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads... I presume to tether is to use the mobile as a wireless access point for laptops etc...?
    Exactly.

The SGS2 is a fair old brick, very powerful and you will be lucky to get 8 full hours out of the native battery what with all the preinstalled operator appgack (including the Daft/Boards.ie 'family' of apps after Boards and Samsung cut an all Irish Operators deal) and them all a chattering away in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

whiterebel wrote: »
    Bugger, they never rang me once, and my contract was up at the end of January.....:o

Is your contract actually up though...? They're scam merchants if you ask me, I signed up for a 12month contract which was supposed to be up end of January but when I rang to see about an Upgrade I'm told I'm on a 24 month contract! There is no way in hell I signed up for a 2 year contract for 1 phone! I've been using bill phones for over 6 years now and there is no hope in hell I'd confine myself to a 2year contract and be stuck with the same phone for more than a year. Biggest problem with 3 is the outsourcing of their Customer Service Dept. they're like Robots just repeating a script off a screen, IF you can understand them that is...!
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Is your contract actually up though...? They're scam merchants if you ask me, I signed up for a 12month contract which was supposed to be up end of January but when I rang to see about an Upgrade I'm told I'm on a 24 month contract! There is no way in hell I signed up for a 2 year contract for 1 phone! I've been using bill phones for over 6 years now and there is no hope in hell I'd confine myself to a 2year contract and be stuck with the same phone for more than a year. Biggest problem with 3 is the outsourcing of their Customer Service Dept. they're like Robots just repeating a script off a screen, IF you can understand them that is...!
    :mad:

Yes, confirmed in writing, and iPhone unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Exactly.

The SGS2 is a fair old brick, very powerful and you will be lucky to get 8 full hours out of the native battery what with all the preinstalled operator appgack (including the Daft/Boards.ie 'family' of apps after Boards and Samsung cut an all Irish Operators deal) and them all a chattering away in the background.

Thanks for the reply SB!

My contract is due to expire shortly, and I usually stick with three as for being a long-term customer I automatically get 25% off the monthly tarrif... my bills never exceed €30 ~ €32 per month, so I am very happy with that unless there is a better/cheaper monthly contract out there that I am unaware of!!!

Three usually invite me to renew contract with the sweetner of a new phone and I always have obliged for another 12~18 months!

My biggest question is... should I jump at the Samsung GS2 or hold out for a better phone that might come along soon...?

My HTC wildfire is fine, but a tad slow, so from that point of view I'd like to change...

Thanks for all the advice so far lads and gals.

Danno.

Advertisement