Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When to change VW passat estate timing belt

• 11-02-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Should the timing belt be replaced after a certain number of miles? Thinking of getting a 2008. Dealer said he had to do a few bits and pieces with the car before its ready to sell and mentioned the timing belt. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

taffy lulu wrote: »
    Should the timing belt be replaced after a certain number of miles? Thinking of getting a 2008. Dealer said he had to do a few bits and pieces with the car before its ready to sell and mentioned the timing belt. It's a UK import with 90k miles. Thank you

Every 40k Miles IIRC

Edit: Or is it 50k Miles. I did mine every 40 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭taffy lulu

1.9 or 2.0 diesel

Replacement intervals:

1.9 TDI every 120,000km or 4 years.

2.0 TDI PD same as 1.9.

2.0 TDI CR every 180,000km or 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

justbored wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think there's a chain on those?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Generaly around the 80k mark is when the timing belt should be changed on Passats/Jettas/Golfs of that year.

A previous poster seems to have specific data per car model but if you ring the garage they should be able to tell you over the phone if it's a chain.
    Expect to pay around the €450 mark

1.6 FSI is chain driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Can anyone advise on the 06 Jetta? I've 75k km on it and not done timing belt yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Can anyone advise on the 06 Jetta? I've 75k km on it and not done timing belt yet

Does it have an engine in it? :D

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Does it have an engine in it? :D

That would be the 1.6 petrol ooops. Had servicing done about 2 years ago in vw dealer but not even opened the bonnet since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That would be the 1.6 petrol ooops. Had servicing done about 2 years ago in vw dealer but not even opened the bonnet since

Chris almighty, maybe you should check the oil level :)

well its on the driveway and never see oil under it. what sort of oil do i put in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It should be serviced every year too regardless of mileage.

well its on the driveway and never see oil under it. what sort of oil do i put in?

5W30 I think.

Your car will more than likely burn oil over time, at the very least you should check it. If you leave it until you hear funny noises coming from under the bonnet its probably too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

For your own safety and others on the road and to keep the motor in good shape i would recommend you get a full service in a garage as 2 years is a long time motoring without anything being checked tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You need to get the oil changed once a year ideally, but after 2 years your mad not servicing it.

Oil spec is 5w30 long life to VW 504.00 spec. After 2 years an oil change would definitely be a good idea.

The timing belt change interval on the 1.6 8v engine is every 4 years regardless of mileage, so you are well overdue. The good news is that the timing belt kit and water pump job on them is cheap, just to give you an idea on price we do them for €260.

Oil spec is 5w30 long life to VW 504.00 spec. After 2 years an oil change would definitely be a good idea.

The timing belt change interval on the 1.6 8v engine is every 4 years regardless of mileage, so you are well overdue. The good news is that the timing belt kit and water pump job on them is cheap, just to give you an idea on price we do them for €260.

I'll drop in in for servicing then I think. is the waterpump an essential job?

I'll drop in in for servicing then I think. is the waterpump an essential job?

TB + Waterpump is normal to do together.

Its very little labour since the TB is out already and its accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭deeks

I know this is an old thread but thought someone might be able to help. Picking up a 2008 VW Passat 1.4l petrol on Saturday. 115k kms on the clock. Someone told me today that the first thing I should ask about is when the timing belt was last replaced. Does anyone know how often they should be replaced on that model?

The 1.4TSI engine uses a chain rather than a belt. There is no recommended replacement interval for the chain. It is only ever replaced if/when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭innocent_lover

Hi, when should i change timibg belt on passat 1.6tdi bluemotion 2011.current milage is 100,000 km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Hi, when should i change timibg belt on passat 1.6tdi bluemotion 2011.current milage is 100,000 km
    4 years or 140k miles

vandriver wrote: »
    4 years or 140k miles

How much it will cost to change water pump & timing belt for this type of engines. Thx

About €400.

About €400.

Is it with independent or with vw garage?

George is an Indy,so that's probably what he quoted.

There's not much difference in price between a VW dealer and an independent with these. Most VW dealers are running some kind of offer for around €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I have a 131 1.6 diesel Passat with 88k, anyone know when it should be done?

Mrs W wrote: »
    I have a 131 1.6 diesel Passat with 88k, anyone know when it should be done?
    140,000 miles or 4 years(so in your case 4 years)

Advertisement