Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheating

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Lots of undercurrents of anger going on in this thread.

I must be mad because the thought of falling out with my oldest mate because he cheated on his girlfriend once is ridiculous, I'm looking at this from the OP's perspective and saying what's best for him, not what's best for his mates or their poor, poor girlfriends...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I must be mad because the thought of falling out with my oldest mate because he cheated on his girlfriend once is ridiculous, I'm looking at this from the OP's perspective and saying what's best for him, not what's best for his mates or their poor, poor girlfriends...

You are putting yourself in the OP's position and saying what would be best for you in the circumstances.

Don't kid yourself.

You won't get a decent answer from a poster who is using the "you don't know" them argument to contradict himself without realising it tbh.
    Well I'm not judging the OP, his mates or their GF's unlike a few people in this thread who will jump at the chance to hang anyone that's ever cheated without hearing the full story or knowing all of the details.

You are putting yourself in the OP's position and saying what would be best for you in the circumstances.

Don't kid yourself.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

How am I kidding myself?

Well I'm not judging the OP, his mates or their GF's unlike a few people in this thread who will jump at the chance to hang anyone that's ever cheated without hearing the full story or knowing all of the details.

Indeed, but you are ignoring blatant details like the fact that the OP doesn't seem to be comfortable enough with his best friends to tell them that he thinks what they have done is wrong.

Kind of raises some questions as to the basis of the friendship in fairness. I mean...I think you'd like to feel your mates could say just about anything to you that they felt needed to be said yeah?

I know i do.

With regards to moral justification for cheating...there are only really two reasons it happens, either a lack of respect for your partner or a lack of respect for yourself. Either one is a serious issue and your best friend should be able to sit you down and find out whats doing on to drive such behaviour.

If your best mates gf was cheating on him would you take your own advice?
    That's a completely different scenario, what does it have to do with the OP's situation :confused:

Look, if the OP does interfere he will lose his 2 oldest friends, his 2 best mates. Why he has such a guilty conscience is beyond me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's a completely different scenario, what does it have to do with the OP's situation :confused:.

Oh right, so the whole not ''making his friends problems his own'' only applies when it suits you? If his friend cheats he shouldn't get involved but if his friend is cheated on then it's fair game?
    Look, if the OP does interfere he will lose his 2 oldest friends, his 2 best mates.

And you know this how?

How am I kidding myself?

Because you keep making attempts to dismiss others opinions and can't even spot that the very arguments you are making also dismiss your own.

You are telling other people they don't know enough about the scenario, yet then do on to give advice on the scenario. You tell people they don't understand the mechanics of the OP's relationships with people but then go on to offer advice based on your own assumptions.

It's just really flawed, terrible arguing.

Almost cringe worthy.

Oh right, so the whole not ''making his friends problems his own'' only applies when it suits you? If his friend cheats he shouldn't get involved but if his friend is cheated on then it's fair game?

Every situation is different, there's not a one-rule-for-all or anything like it. Closest thing to it is the phrase "Bro's before ho's" ...I'm not even joking, that's probably the best way to describe how I feel and it actually applies in both the OP's scenario and your hypothetical scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

OP here :L

Oh i forgot to mention, the 2 guys have both already cheated and the girls found out but done nothing. The 2 girls are crazy about the lads but not vice versa. They take their gfs for granted, and tbh dont deserve them in the slightest. They act like cocky arrogant *****, and one of their wittiest comebacks is "do u have a gf? no? then stfu".

• Advertisement

Because you keep making attempts to dismiss others opinions and can't even spot that the very arguments you are making also dismiss your own.

You are telling other people they don't know enough about the scenario, yet then do on to give advice on the scenario. You tell people they don't understand the mechanics of the OP's relationships with people but then go on to offer advice based on your own assumptions.

Really based on what the OP has told us, people involved are his 2 best, life long mates and 2 girls that he went to school with. Easiest option? Stay out of it, don't get involved in other peoples relationships, don't cause any hassle for anyone (including himself) and be about his own business. Nothing to gain from this but plenty to lose.

Oh i forgot to mention, the 2 guys have both already cheated and the girls found out but done nothing. The 2 girls are crazy about the lads but not vice versa. They take their gfs for granted, and tbh dont deserve them in the slightest. They act like cocky arrogant *****, and one of their wittiest comebacks is "do u have a gf? no? then stfu".

Well are the lads actually your best mates? Do you like them at all?

Also, the girls in this case have been through it all before and evidently haven't learnt a thing, they have only themselves to blame for going back to two lads that they knew cheated on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Also, the girls in this case have been through it all before and evidently haven't learnt a thing, they have only themselves to blame for going back to two lads that they knew cheated on them.

do you think that means there's no point in telling them?

My earlier theory that your mates sound like tools is getting stronger and stronger.

I'm pretty sure it would stand up to peer review tbh.

do you think that means there's no point in telling them?

No, I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that the OP should not involve himself and be the one to tell the girls that their BF's cheated on them....again. What happens if he does? The lads want nothing to do with him because he ratted them out, the girls say "thanks so much, you're such a good friend!" and then they'll get back together with the lads a few weeks later, leaving the OP looking like a fool.

Anyone disagree with what I'm saying?

No, I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that the OP should not involve himself and be the one to tell the girls that their BF's cheated on them....again. What happens if he does? The lads want nothing to do with him because he ratted them out, the girls say "thanks so much, you're such a good friend!" and then they'll get back together with the lads a few weeks later, leaving the OP looking like a fool.

Anyone disagree with what I'm saying?

I know you didn't say that, that's why I was asking. but :confused: in your response that's pretty much what you did say.

I know you didn't say that, that's why I was asking. but :confused: in your response that's pretty much what you did say.

Not really? I'm just saying the OP shouldn't be the one to tell them. Read my last post for reasons why he shouldn't. If someone else wants to speak up then leave them to it.

Not really? I'm just saying the OP shouldn't be the one to tell them. Read my last post for reasons why he shouldn't. If someone else wants to speak up then leave them to it.

so you're saying not so much that they shouldn't be told, but that he shouldn't tell them because of the potential fall out? ok I get ya. well in this situation I'd almost agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Don't tell, however wrong it is don't tell and I am saying that as a girl. It is a thankless job and you will come out the worst end of it. Especially as both girls know that they have cheated before and gone back to them. Most likely outcome, you loose your two best friends and they get to keep their gfs.

While it might seem like the right thing to do, you have to think about yourself first and foremost. And on that note, they don't really sound like stand up guys and you do so I would seriously take a look at whether or not they are worth being put in this kind of position for.

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Don't tell, however wrong it is don't tell and I am saying that as a girl. It is a thankless job and you will come out the worst end of it. Especially as both girls know that they have cheated before and gone back to them. Most likely outcome, you loose your two best friends and they get to keep their gfs.

While it might seem like the right thing to do, you have to think about yourself first and foremost. And on that note, they don't really sound like stand up guys and you do so I would seriously take a look at whether or not they are worth being put in this kind of position for.

This girl speaks the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cheekita

It wouldnt be worth the hassle of being known as being a sh!tstirrer by everybody you know because if you tell these girls then thats exactly what will be said about you!

People in this thread starting to talk a bit of sense now!

People in this thread starting to talk a bit of sense now!

You say that because people are agreeing with you,but it'd be a pretty boring discussion board if everyone agreed on everything

You say that because people are agreeing with you,but it'd be a pretty boring discussion board if everyone agreed on everything
    It would indeed, I was just pointing out the turn that the thread has taken. I also get a sense of satisfaction in knowing that I was right all along :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well, OP, you are quite clearly disgusted at what your best friends have done, it all depends on how much you value all four of the people involved as your friends. If you want to look at it from the point of view that may retain your current circumstance with this group of friends without any harm to their attitudes towards you, then you should mind your own business and stay out of it. Getting involved in **** like that is the opium of inter-social relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i sometimes cheat on my right hand and **** with my left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its best to say nothing. 2 guys i work with are married and are serial cheaters. They are around my age and both are having affairs with girls in their early 20s. Do i think they are lowlifes, yeah i do but bottom line is its nothing to do with me and no matter how long it takes these guys do get found out eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So if I became friends with the good people of AH, the majority of them wouldn't tell me if my OH cheated on me? Thanks a bunch, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Ficheall wrote: »
    So if I became friends with the good people of AH, the majority of them wouldn't tell me if my OH cheated on me? Thanks a bunch, folks.

no, but i'd send ye pictures of me riding him/her ( videos cost extra ) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh reaaaalllyy..... So, if the OP came on here and said his best mate's girlfriend cheated on him, would you be saying the same thing?
    Yes - the best the OP can do is urge and advise.

The logical equivalent of 'stepping in' in the case you're suggesting would not be urging or advising, but going over to the girlfriend's house and telling her "it's over" on behalf of the guy who she cheated on.
    Abi wrote: »
    You confessed earlier on in the thread that cheating was something you had done. I have some very strong views against it, but hear me out. While you seem apologetic for what you did, and sorry for your loss, why would you defend it know what it cost you?
    I'm not defending it at all really, I think cheating is terribly cruel thing to do. It's not just the ending of a relationship that can hurt, but the disrespect shown toward the other person in the relationship, and the fact that it can be slap in the face to their confidence in themselves when treated in that way.

But while i think this is an awful thing to do, I think loyalty to one's close friends trumps a debt of honour to friends' girlfriends, or lesser friends. Being a good friend to a good friend means you stick by your mate even when he is being a dick; friendship is not supposed to be a fair-weather affair.

Again the OP is not entirely powerless in this situation. Friendship also means you respect and listen to your friends' advice, and he can try to resolve the situation from within his friendship with these guys. But going directly to the girlfriends, in spite of what has been done to them, is a big No in my opinion. How could these guys ever have any trust in the OP again? Girlfriends and boyfriends will come and go, but the trust and the bond of a close friend is not something that should be broken off for something that is a good deal more transient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

All has been sorted :)
    One of the new girls posted on the lads walls on facebook, she didnt know he had a gf. Everyone seen it and long story short the two lads are now single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

One of the new girls posted on the lads walls on facebook, she didnt know he had a gf. Everyone seen it and long story short the two lads are now single

Ah Facebook, is there nothing it can't do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

LOL! The hand of karma has descended from the clouds and bitch-slapped the 2 boyos across the face. You're off the hook! Get some doritos and go party like it's 1995!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Err, and this isn't being posted in YLYL why exactly? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

He friend-requested a girl with whom he had a one-time thing when he had a girlfriend? The daft eejit.

Not condoning it, they got what they deserved.

Another After Hours happy ending! Good job everybody, looking forward to hearing the next relationship dilemma involving five transition year students :pac:

lol, tools and dumb.

Perfect combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

If both men and of course ladies are looking toward finding life partners then they are both obligated to meet and date as many partners as possible to fulfill their quest for a perfect life partner.

When they finally decide on a person who fills all their criterion then they propose. On being accepted they now are obligated to that partner and the word cheating comes into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Wow, lol; the backlash against even the idea of informing the girls. It's interesting, how just the idea of informing, seems to be viewed as much worse than the cheating itself. Do some people actually view it this way?

In a situation like the OP's (before it was resolved), I'd say weigh the risks of informing, and if comfortable with them, tell their girlfriends. If the OP's friends turned on him, then they aren't worth knowing anyway.
    Whatever way that might have ended up, it would probably have been bad for everyone; their gf's deserved to know though, but nobody could fault the OP for deciding to avoid the potential fallout.

The "mind your own business", ehm..."bro's befoe hoe's" etc. comments are (imo) kind of defending the cheating (making out informing as being worse than the cheating itself).
    If the people cheating get informed upon and found out, fúck 'em they deserve it; if anything, informing on them if facing big personal risks doing so, requires a lot of courage and is commendable.
    philologos wrote: »
    The acceptability of cheating is key to whether or not the OP will intervene. The idea that the OP shouldn't do anything about it implies that cheating is acceptable, and should be ignored. I personally don't believe that to be true, so perhaps I'm working on a different assumption to other posters.

The more and more people are willing to ignore this or stand idly by, the more and more the concept that cheating is OK is encouraged in society.
    Absolutely; as another poster said, there is a certain amount of complicity in keeping silent as well. However, that said, if the personal risks of informing (anonymously too) are too great, a person can't (imo) be faulted for staying away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ficheall wrote: »

Rest assured that I would tell you...even if it wasn't true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement