Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geantrai on TG4 - Help!

• 11-02-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Mods- please dont move to TV or Music forums since there might be music fans here who don't browse the TV forums and vice versa - I'm more likely to get answers here (even if 99% of them are smart arsed)

So anyway I landed on TG4 last night and chanced upon a music program. I am not really into trad so I usually give these programs a miss when I am channel hopping so i don't know what made me stay watching it this time.

Anyway there was a three piece band consisting of a guy playing fiddle and singing, a man giving it socks on harmonica and a woman with a guitar. I thought their performance was outstanding. I was really impressed. They weren't playing trad as such... it wasn't fiddle de dee music - it sounded more american influenced (bluegrass etc maybe??) but I am usually not exposed to this kind of stuff so i can't name the style but I thought it was just deadly.

So I looked up the name of the program today and apparently it's called Geantrai (http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/geantrai.html) but the web page is scant on info and I was wondering if anyone knows who this act are?

I would love to see them do a full set (I only caught the last 3 mins of their tune).

Anyone any ideas? Failing that, please feel free to post a banal reference to any of the following:

Blasting things with piss
    Face kicking
    Your mother

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeh caught most of this last night, It was from the Harp Tavern in Sligo and presented by Cathy Jordan with most of her group Dervish and other musician guests aside. The bit you were talking about was Rick Epping I think on Harmonica, Sheamy ODowd on the fiddle (on and off Dervish member) and Kathy Jordan on guitar. Will see if I can locate this and send you a link.

Edit: This just references it so will try to find the playable bit. http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/geantrai/this-week/geantrai-week-2.html

Found it http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Would really appreciate that thanks

I don;t think that's it...

Oh wait no I found a link to it down the bottom!

Thanks.

What kind of music that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Appalachian I think, but Out on the Western Plain is a song Sheamy has always done, he is a big Rory Gallagher fan and in some ways Gallagher done the penultimate version of this. The last tune is actually Irish or possibly Scottish, its the reel Jennys Welcome to Charlie, but the group has sort of Americanised it to keep with the flavour of the song.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
Advertisement