Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mate Wrote a Book -Expected it to Be Ignored...

2»

Comments

My cousin's bf wrote a book ages ago. It was published as a free audiobook online. What little attention it garnered ridiculed it completely at best, or were simply appalled. I listened to some of it and it really was awful. Laughably bad.

I looked it up just now. It was recently published by an imprint of a major publisher which is trying to be trendy it seems. It's in a nice cover, has a compelling blurb that is far better written than the book itself, and even has a short promo film with decent production values. Now it seems to have received a good few reviews, and they are a bit mixed - but range from raving about it to cautious criticism of it as a failed experiment.

It's still utter sh!t though. It's purely people responding to the presentation. They think it is clever because they are told it is clever - even though they are being told this by the person selling it to them. Thierry Guetta style impact.

There must be a word for this phenomenon.
    ayn rand would be over the moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was at a meeting tonight and a man mentioned in passing that a certain book was the second most published item in the world. I looked at google and it maybe the first or the third but it is certainly up there. I was surprised when he said what it was.
    What was it?

The IKEA catalogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_Catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

My cousin's bf wrote a book ages ago. It was published as a free audiobook online. What little attention it garnered ridiculed it completely at best, or were simply appalled. I listened to some of it and it really was awful. Laughably bad.

I looked it up just now. It was recently published by an imprint of a major publisher which is trying to be trendy it seems. It's in a nice cover, has a compelling blurb that is far better written than the book itself, and even has a short promo film with decent production values. Now it seems to have received a good few reviews, and they are a bit mixed - but range from raving about it to cautious criticism of it as a failed experiment.

It's still utter sh!t though. It's purely people responding to the presentation. They think it is clever because they are told it is clever - even though they are being told this by the person selling it to them. Thierry Guetta style impact.

There must be a word for this phenomenon
    Domo230 wrote: »
    The Da Vinci code effect.

We don't think "The Da Vinci Code" is clever, though... do we? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I don't know if any of you read 'The Telephone Book', but a friend of mine is involved in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I wrote a book once. It sold literally tens of copies and with the proceeds I bought a nice gaff in Dhaka with a view of the Ganges outside my front door. LIVIN' THE DREAM!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    We don't think "The Da Vinci Code" is clever, though... do we? :eek:

We do in the blue fuck think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I think you should take your literal friend off out of AH, we dont like ye reading lot round here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I am NEVER going round to your house for dinner!:eek:

Not even tempted by my special sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I think you should take your literal friend off out of AH, we dont like ye reading lot round here.

Reminds me of an entry I read for that well 'ard kip Sunderland in the book Crap Towns where one of it's inhabitants said-...I had a landlord who once told me: "We don't like outsiders, us. A lot of people want that university closed."

:eek: :D:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The Bible???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I wrote a book once. It was about an orphaned wizard boy fighting the forces of evil.

I called it 'Orphans Of Doom'. Subtitled 'The Mystery Of An Unexpected Dilemma'.

The publishing company rehashed it as Harry Potter and I was in the business.:cool:

Advertisement