Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logsplitter

• 11-02-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I'm about to attempt to build a tractor powered logsplitter and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. Basically I suppose I'm looking to find out where people went wrong and what changes they would make to their own designs.
    I've more or less decided on a vertical splitter but am not sure whether to have a table at waist height or a lower one so I can roll heavier blocks on to it.
    I have an 8 inch I-beam that I can use as the post and have a ram with an 18" stroke which should do the job. I would appreciate any help or ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I reckon your on the right path going vertical!! But from experience I've seen a load of people make logsplitters and the one down fall I normally see is the ram people use is aren't big enough a ram off a front loader or a mini digger won't give you enough power to split a knotty log that's my 2 cents!! Hope it's of use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

i have made a couple,first one broke so sold it on and still made money;)

on my second one now and the only thing i regret is not getting a bigger girder. mine is vertical with the table at waist height to save bending down all the time (bad back at 22:rolleyes:) which is handy with a big ring as once you lift it up(i have a large(ish) table) that i just spin it around and split bits off it.

i have welded a 3X1/2 flat to the face of girder to stop wear on it and strenthen it(seen it on brand named one) and have weled flat into web of girder where possible to strenthen it.

a ram from a shear grab are good but be warned the bigger the ram the more oil flow needed and the slower it will be. i got the proper log splitter ram and it goes up on the return stroke quicker than coming down.

if i was making new one i would make the base very stable and wide and have long pipes so could use it without having to hitch tractor to it so could split them and throw them into linkbox.

i use a mf 35 to run mine but is quite slow so was thinking about one for the pto with its own pump,anyone ever use them

oh and if you think its not strong enough its not,my guide for sliding down the girder is coming loose aleady

be careful was splitting dry ash one day and came to a big ring that took two of us too lift onto table,went to split it in half and it bursted and half it flew off and landed about 8ft away and broke me down spout:omind you it was a jd6920s with a good bit of revs as i was in ahurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭9935452

I made my own las year, a vertical one .
    I used 12x6 RSJ as the frame. I was advised not to use 8x4 as it may not be strong enough.
    I used a ram off the back actor of a digger so have 2.5feet of travel. Doing this i can pile up 3 or 4 rings and split them all in one go.
    I can still split them individually just using short strokes.
    I used a section of replacement cutting edge for a front bucket as the wedged, put it on a belt sander to make the wedge shape which is now razer sharp.
    I welded this to the end of the ram
    the table is 10mm checker plate about (2foot by 2 foot) to stop timber from slipping.
    It is on removable legs so the height can be altered for lifting heavy wedges up on it to save the back.
    I have brackets on it so i normally use it on the front of the digger (50hx) which has a very good oil supply compared to a tractor.
    An advantage of having it loader mounted is it you can work off a trailer and split directly into a transport box under neath.

I have never failed with my log splitter even in knotty timber.
    For laughs on day i put in a 5 inch log the wrong way. The timber shattered and split into 2 as well.

If i was making again i would bolt the wedge to the ram rather than welding and make an extra wedge that would split the log into 4 and change when needs be.
    I would also fit the lever valve that can automatically returns and knocks itself off. This would help cycle times

Be carefully that if you use a big ram you have more splitting force, make sure the mounts for the ram are man enough for the job. RSI is fairly thin.
    Some lads that make them professionally use two lengths of channel back to back like this crowd
    http://www.midcorkmetal.ie/log_splitters_3.html

Hope this helps some what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I havn't made one but I have one of these (Farmer 13 Tonne) picture shown

http://www.thor-italy.com/eng/farmer_v.html

It may be worth looking at the details for ideas as its a great workhorse even at low revs.
    One of its safety features is a chain that cuts the hydrolic and withdraws the head just before the splitter head gets to the table top. Also engaging the head requires 2 hands so no lose spare hand by accident.

Advertisement